Dungeon Building Story

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by scribbledoutname, Sep 23, 2016.

1. scribbledoutname

scribbledoutname Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey guys, I just read a big chunk of Dungeon Defense and was pretty disappointed.

I'll put this in a spoiler so you can skip it if you want:

It started out really good but three things got to me: (1) the dungeon system (where the MC can buy units, expand his dungeon and buy personal abilities) was completely thrown away after the first few chapters, (2) the MC, who seems like a decent guy at first, suddenly becomes some murderous psycho, which I hate and (3) there was too much pointless banter, trash talk and flashbacks to his daddy issues.

So basically what I'm looking for is a series like Dungeon Defense looked like it was going to be..

And one where the MC isn't evil... I can't deal with evil or apathetic MCs, I can't enjoy their stories because all of the decisions they make are unpleasant (i.e. you can ignore an annoying side character but you can't ignore an annoying MC because their decisions ARE the stories, and every decision they make will be something you don't like. I'm not one of those people who can stand an evil or selfish MC).

Summary...
    • Where the MC gains currency or points that they can spend to upgrade their own abilities, upgrade their territory and buy or upgrade their units. Something like that! (must have xD)
    • CAN'T HAVE AN EVIL OR SELFISH MC!
    • Preferably isn't slice of life... but I can deal with it. Was really hoping to see a weakling, trash MC rise to become an formidable but kind Ainz Ooal Gown figure by destroying arrogant or evil OP rivals and subjugating their territories.

So I know it's a long shot, but does anyone know anything like this?

2. VOLX98

VOLX98 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Welcome to the nhk?
    Slice of life

3. Shigune88

Shigune88 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  4. Sordahon

Sordahon 『One Person Virtue Is Another One Sin』

Reading List:
    Link
    It's meh, aside from all those calculations with accelerated time comprehension.

scribbledoutname likes this.
  5. ghostpeople

ghostpeople Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    StaticHD and scribbledoutname like this.
  6. ramzawing

ramzawing 【The heretic】

Reading List:
    Link
    scribbledoutname and Shance like this.
  7. Asian Sensation

Asian Sensation Nefas's Transcending Heavenly God Beast

Reading List:
    Link
    Your request is simple enough, but... the story you are requesting doesn't really exist. If it does, it is yet to be translated. Which leaves us with EN originals.

And among all the EN originals I can think of, the ones that fit your criteria are either on hiatus or dropped.

Upheaval and Nyarlathotep like this.
  8. Shizaki

Shizaki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  9. xtremeloldude

xtremeloldude the slime guy

Reading List:
    Link
    if you don't mind rrl there's "the deadliest blade of grass" which isn't actually a dungeon story yet still fits your criteria

10. Danis

Danis {(Harem Sect Leader)}{Trickster}&{Lurker}

Reading List:
    Link
    hahahaha i feel you man i think like that too oh well atleast there harem ..............................................

11. Guyver

Guyver Bio-Booster Armor

Reading List:
    Link
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  12. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    I forgot the exact details but there was an original novel I liked called magic academy that was something like what you requested.

13. scribbledoutname

scribbledoutname Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow, so fast!! Thanks so much guys, I'm gonna check all of these out :D

*rubs hands together*

I'm actually pretty excited xD I've been craving this... I do like RRL ^^ I need something more stories to read so I can keep training hard in the F5 sect...

Haha yeah IMO I feel DD is overrated, but then again I went into it expecting something it wasn't. I just can't deal with MCs who slaughter innocent civilians for small reasons and then the author expects us to still find his chars likeable.

Like...
    I wanted that slave trader in Vol. 2 who was actually a kind guy and kind to his slaves to survive, but Lapis Lazuli cut his head off... are we meant to root for her? Why should I care that she's upset with the MC when she's so evil? And the MC had everyone there killed, even civilians who had nothing to do with anything... why would I want him to succeed and become powerful when he's so wicked? Stuff like that leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth and that's why I can't enjoy series like that. He felt pity for people in the first volume and reluctantly did what he had to do (it also seemed like he was going to raise an army and conquer both the human and demon world with his game knowledge to steer them away from a Bad End), but in Vol. 2 he suddenly became a different psycho person. I don't want to see him succeed because he doesn't deserve it, and his jokes/cutesy moments with Lapis stop being cute because I naturally dislike them for ruthlessly murdering nice characters who I hoped would have a happy ending.

14. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep The laziest and the King of Procrastination

Reading List:
    Link
  15. Shance

Shance 『Trying to evade the wall in the front』『Failing』

Reading List:
    Link
  16. TianKrea

TianKrea 『Novice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Blackthorne (RRL) has some interesting dungeon building plot.

As for DD it is a bit too dark for me. First volume was good but after that MC became a psycho. Still it is a good read.

17. StaticHD

StaticHD Supreme Novel Observer

Reading List:
    Link
    The only novel being translated with your particular criteria would be... "Dungeon Hunter."
    It's the only one close to what you want. It's also Korean based novel with alot of dungeon system situations that you really crave for.

18. Judgecutioner

Judgecutioner [Supreme Noodly God][Created 69^69 universes][Dom]

Reading List:
    Link
    DD has one more problem. Author completely lost me when protagonist who is supposed to be genius, reveals his cards to Barbados without having her completely under control. That's completely against his character. He is someone who always needs to feel in control. Revealing his cards without having control over her is something he would not do.

TianKrea likes this.
  19. Glaurung

Glaurung Long Member

Reading List:
    Link
  20. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    Most of your issues can be fixed by saying this : Dantalian isn't a Dungeon Master, he's a Demon Lord.

1) Firstly, he lost his castle. Secondly, noone really visited his castle anyway, and used it like a dungeon. It was based on the game 'Dungeon Defense', which was played from the Hero's viewpoint, and the hero's party successfully attacked all of the castles / dungeons. And that wouldn't even happen for several years.
    2) I wouldn't say he's a murderous psycho, he's a murderous pragmatist. He'll kill as many as need be, if there's a certain goal to be reached, but he won't do it for no reason at all. I mean , is there actually anyone in that world who just wants his best, without giving priority to their own objectives in regards to using him?
    3) Daddy issues? Having a yandere as one of your step-mothers, as well as several who are just a step below, leading to kidnapping and various other things, just because of his father being a perverted guy who can't stop his own lusts, wouldn't create any mental issues with you? As for the trash talk, do you mean all those 'pointless insults', or conversations which didn't really help anything out? No offence , but sometimes some of those needs to proceed the story indirectly, or be as something inbetween events, because the time gap otherwise would be too weird.

As for the not being evil part, it's not that every dungeon master / controller is evil, but the majority of dungeons are considered as necessary to be subjugated, so the majority of people do that for the loot, or because they think problems would arise eventually if the dungeon is just let to exist. If you were repeatedly attacked by people who proclaim that you're evil, they're doing the world a favor and all that, while pocketing sweet items you had been gathering, would you be okay with that, just let it be, or consider them as heinous criminals / villains who you need to get revenge on?

The major majority of dungeon controllers who aren't considered as evil are the ones reincarnated and somehow become them , but they're still not necessarily considered good either. They just want to be left alone or have fun with their dungeon.

And you say 'gain currency or points' ? The most common method of doing that is to kill any intruders in the dungeon, or otherwise keep them there. Murder or Incarceration are usually considered as evil by a lot of people, so that makes the possibilities even fewer.

tl;dr I'm not saying your opinion is wrong in any way, it's just that you've limited yourself by a lot, and if you want to keep it like that only, you won't ever get to read many novels like that, because a) They're a miniscule minority of the whole and b) They're not even necessarily translated because of it.

If you still want some suggestions after all that, then try Doll Dungeon, Lazy Dungeon Master & Evil God Average