Discussion Dungeons in eastern fiction aside from the west?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Lazriser, Nov 29, 2019.

1. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I may be wrong about the whole concept, so please be cautioned the possibility of me spouting bullshit to you.

The concepts of dungeons have become a prominent factor in fantasy stories, set in urban fantasy or another world fantasy. As how dungeons origin come to be, there are multiple backstories that tie with the world building of said stories of variant fantasies. Note that dungeons in eastern fiction as a whole, are completely different structures of dimensions compared to their western counterpart, so I believe. I will not bother naming said stories of having overpowering dungeons, but needless to say, dungeons have become their own microcosmic cosmos in the story's own cosmos. There are varying levels of dimensions constructing a dungeon, from a pocket dimension to multiple layers of dimensions, and there is also a linkage to another dimension already existing, as to the last, a completely new dimension is born from within a dungeon.

Whatever systems the stories' dungeons used, they all follow a linear concept of growth, which is attributed to their resources inside the dungeons. The said resources are normally the core of the dungeon, it's master, terrain or environment, and lastly, residents or monsters populating the areas. Here in eastern fiction, the concepts of having dungeons's possess cores with or without egos, usually fall into the latter side of the development of said stories' dungeon. There are also dungeon masters who integrate themselves with the cores in a symbiotic relationship, or master and servant relationship, hence, authority is not absolute to most dungeons in eastern fiction. As for the terrain or environment, there are naturally formed ecosystems with different laws of physics applied in each dungeon, or in a layer within the dungeon. This also goes for residents being hostile, neutral, or virtually just nonexistent, as to having monsters as the natives of the dungeon.

Growth comes from concepts of gaming, hence, leveling up their status or infrastructure. There are different means to leveling up in said stories, with their own explanations as to why and how it is possible. The common backstory would be applying a fantasy gaming framework on them, such as experience points or points attributed to a particular function in the stories' system. The system can also be larger compared to the system used in the dungeon, as many stories tend to have overlapping or overlarge mechanics ruling over the laws of physics in those cosmos.

Now I wonder, but what other concepts in eastern fiction have I missed which have been or yet to be used in dungeon focused stories? You can include western concepts as well, since as I informed beforehand, I lack much information except for the classic dungeon concept existent in western fiction.

2. Kainord

Kainord Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What i read, the concept of dungeons as a type of living beings is an eastern concept. Western books descript them as a corridor maze with living spaces, traps and monsters. For me the best read was the first books of Drizzt do'Urdens saga. There you can read about zhe enviroment of the undeground world.

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  3. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    In Classics, dungeons are simply big caves or dragon dens, or hides for thieves but even so, they are dangerous places where treasures can be found (check dungeon and dragons for example, it is a sample of what classic dungeons in stories can be like) but then again what you mentioned is the current known 'facts' about dungeons, I wonder if the concept will take other directions at some point in future novels :hmm:

4. Lazriser

Reading List:
    Link
    I have never heard or seen these "living spaces" you speak of? Perhaps, are they book-stay only or have they been known for a long time? Can you briefly give an example of what "living spaces" are? It's likely animated rooms with polymorphic walls, hallways, ceilings, grounds, and stairs, or it could be a spiritually aware environment, but I might be wrong.

5. AryaX

AryaX Less-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Living places simply means parts of the dungeon used as a living environment... ie. like living room, bed room, ...

6. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Also curious of what is exactly western dungeon. Since we all are familiar with eastern dungeon from the Japan, Korea and China works (manga/novel).
    How's it different? Is it not too 'fantasy' novel with a bit scifi?
    Is the western dungeon has to be a real 'dungeon', as in dark, tunnel deep, underground, mountain side dungeon?

7. Lazriser

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, so rest areas or comfort zones.
    Typically underground, as whether it's through physical or magical means, the assumption is the dungeon's actual space is moving downwards. Not adjacent space, but actual space outside the dungeon is used in hidden dungeons. The location is as you say, but labyrinths tend to be confused with dungeons. But, there are dungeons having labyrinths in some levels or at the basement.

8. AryaX

AryaX Less-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dungeon... originates from "donjon". The main tower of a medieval castle... Apparently, it was originally where prisoners were kept... the highest room in the highest tower... so if one wanted to try and escape, one had to make their way all the way through the whole castle...

And I guess the notion of it being an underground structure comes from when prisoners started to be kept in the underground "bottle dungeons" or oubliettes.

But neither really have much to do with the modern fantasy dungeons... whether they be eastern or western... Personally, I prefer the eastern... Man eating, laws of nature defying, monster spawning, living and thinking, "Eldritch Location" dungeons... Especially ones with cute/sexy anthropomorphic dungeon avatars...

Lazriser likes this.
  9. Kainord

Reading List:
    Link
    Living spaces like underground cities near to water source and food. Or a safe resting place. Nothing magical like a rest room like in japanese rpg and manga. Where they are protected. Western dungeon like cavern systems are lethal. Dark, depressing with natural and made traps. I can recommend the Dark elf triology from Salvatore to read. There is a description of dark elf, a type of gnome, monster city descriptions. Shelters in dungeons and living enviroments. Flora and fauna. And you read more books fron him you can see dwarven cities. And how lethal is the underground.

Lazriser likes this.
  10. Lazriser

Reading List:
    Link
    Interestingly enough, it's like those dwarven ruins in Skyrim, or closer interpretation I have with yours would be Tower of God manhwa.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  11. Kainord

Reading List:
    Link
    The basic difference i think is that eastern dungeons are living beings, like a body, feeding on the life force of the inhabitants and visitors. And the guardians are vanishing after death leaving behind aome things in form of rewards. So the dungeon monsters are respawning periodicaly like a game. Western types are just system of caverns or mazes without any special powers. The monsters are living inside naturally. The best game i could recommend is Dungeon Keeper thats a fun classic game. But because its a game it has elements of rpg leveling like in novels. If you can get some rule books from rpg games like ad&d and warhammer. Some of them give you better insights.