Discussion Duties of a translator

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Di Raizel, Apr 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Di Raizel

Di Raizel Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I know a translator may have no obligation to a reader to post updates(say if they are sick), but in my personal opinion if a translator does take donations he/she should at least give a date which people can expect new releases because people are investing into it and expect a return.
    (I also feel what totallyinsane did was inappropriate by literally saying fuck you). What is your opinion on this?

2. Jaded

Jaded Majoring in Erology

Reading List:
    Link
    *prepares popcorn*

Get ready for some angry young men to come and say, TL's have no OBLIGATIONS. It's a DONATION.

Potatos, Parth37955, Ry Aru and 5 others like this.
  3. Eldau

Eldau And now for something completely different

Reading List:
    Link
    Context?

And well, as long as the translator makes a clarification how they deal with donations and regular releases, I have little issues with it as such.

Azusky likes this.
  4. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    I think that you sir have no idea what you're talking about. The translator was having massive migraines due to spending too much time on the computer, and you want her to care enough about some random people online to sacrifice her health, well-being, and have serious pain just so that you can be satisfied. I don't even think she types up her chapters anymore and does the translation by hand before emailing them to someone else to type up.

I also think you're an idiot if you spend money on webnovel translation, bu that's a different story

Azuka likes this.
  5. Wytchlord

Wytchlord I like strawberries ~

Reading List:
    Link
    Donations are a THANK YOU, not a GIVE ME SOMETHING FOR MY MONEY
    So her fuck you is legit

6. Jaded

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't donate either.

But I'll pull one of your 3 heads off if donations reduce cos donators feel you're right lol.

7. Yuki

Yuki [Chaos-Order & Space-Time Magician,Owner of Void]

Reading List:
    Link
    Its not a donation anymore when they say i will release a chapter for every this amount.

8. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    It depends on the translator's wording when they request for donations.

If, for example, like Moon Bunny Cafe which state beforehand that the donations are merely encouragement and not obligation and that it may or may not improve translation speed, then there's no problem if they don't give a damn about delivering quickly. The donators already knew what they signed up for and they still donated because they felt the translators have been doing a good job and they wanted to give the translators a money pat in the back. In this case, this is an act of charity.

If for example, Pegasus Farts request $75 if you want the next chapter delivered faster, then they have the obligation to deliver faster. If the donation pool has filled up 2 weeks earlier and there's still no new chapter, then they're betraying the donator's goodwill. The donator donated because they expected the next chapter delivered soon. In this case, this is business, not charity.

It's all in the wording.

If the translators take money while promising sponsored chapter, then they have the obligation to deliver said chapter. If they can't handle it, then stop the sponsor system while they finish up all the sponsored chapters. It's that easy. If I take a payment of 100 bucks for my job, then I said, "Oh, I'm sorry, I have a headache. You document will be delivered whenever I feel like it," then I will likely lose my job and possibly my life. Some of my clients are on the wrong side of the law.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  9. Echoes

Echoes 【Wandering Monk】

Reading List:
    Link
    *take a seat*

Okay, this is interisting.
    Dont mind me, im just a passerby.

10. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    any link where she posted that? Havent visit that site for a long time, and I want to see whats the drama about.. :p

11. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    She didnt say "Fuk U" tho...if youre talking bout that long ass hiatus that was due to work + migranes...
    Also she promised Sponsored chapters over the weekend, which she had stuck to until recently when she got stuck with work + migranes...

Please dont blame people without finding about what had happened...

12. Azuka

Azuka Epi's Only Imouto |Epi's Angel |Epi's |(\_/) Bunny

Reading List:
    Link
    (Fight! Fight! Fight!)

Anyways, while I do think donators do have some right to complain and whine like little kids, in the end, as long as they get their chapters all is fine. Besides, totallyinsane explained herself, it was for her health and greater well-being. She chose to say, "fuck you" or whatever because of all the whiners who couldn't just wait.

13. Eldau

Eldau And now for something completely different

Reading List:
    Link
    Asf likes this.
  14. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
  15. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    One of my heads is detachable so that's ok (y)

But I've said before that I would only be willing to donate to support original English content (i.e. The Iron Teeth right now) and that's only if I didn't have to pay off college loans

16. Jaded

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree. Using the word donations is just a way to get around the fact that they are taking money translating something that they don't own, not are (most of) them sharing their money with the author.

But there are always people who can't understand that and use the argument I quoted. I just warned that those people gonna appear.

One already has appeared lol.

So why you telling me what a donation means instead of them.... Dat's evil snow kun....

I know of your detachable head. Gonna pull that one instead of the others cos I know the donators aren't going to change lol.

Also....
    The fact that you'd be willing to donate later pleases me. Won't consider you(or any other CN/Eng novel donator) idiotic. Just lucky assholes with money to spare. And a teeny weeny bit idiotic.:D

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
    Arcturus and Arua like this.
  17. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    count me in, I prefer cookies though or a cake

18. Yuki

Yuki [Chaos-Order & Space-Time Magician,Owner of Void]

Reading List:
    Link
    Its because yours was the first post i saw and just felt like it ;)

19. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    thnx that was an interesting read.
    I think that one donator that rant at the coment section are ticked off by that one out of the place image that seems like disrespecting him.
    But I bet with the doctor telling insane to rest before it gets worse and all the pressure from the donating fan, insane just broke and feel like she needed to put in the image to express herself.. welp, haters will hate though..
    maybe this is just the break that she needed since those buthurt guys would slow down with the donation.

20. DarkArts

DarkArts ✫ First Ancestor of the Assassin Sect ✫

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know. I think it's weird how everyone calls them 'donation' when it is more like a payment than anything else, especially when you write our there "$40 per 'sponsored' chapter" or something like that because in this case people 'donate' aka 'sponsor' aka 'send money' while expecting that sponsored chapter. Just because you write 'donate' on the button doesn't really make it a donation imo. Also, when you open the paypal link above the form you have "Choose a way to pay" and the submit button is 'Pay' ... but I don't really care since I don't actually 'donate'.

Wujigege, Azuka, Ai chan and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.