Discussion Duties of a translator

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Di Raizel, Apr 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wytchlord

Wytchlord I like strawberries ~

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, there is a grey area when you talk about it and think about morals but the grey area is solved the moment you click on the button called donation. People just like to discuss the morals behind this word but it has a meaning which makes those morals invalid. Kind of.
    Full Definition of donation
    1. : the act or an instance of donating: as a : the making of a gift especially to a charity or public institution b : a free contribution : gift

2. Di Raizel

Di Raizel Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No I don't comment on chapters. And I am not affected that much either, its just I wanted to know the opinion of the people(Which I stated in the description) and I got it. There are bound to be people getting butthurt and calling me retarded(They interpret it as an attack against the translator I guess).

3. Tian Long

Tian Long ❮Purityfag❯ · ❮Anti-NTR Ancestor❯ · ❮Purist❯

Reading List:
    Link
    Her site, her rules. Her translstion, your benefit.

I understand that some are asking for an update. But can't you all see that she has a migraine, and now you want her to post an update? She already did a long time ago, people just wouldn't believe it.

And she was more angry by the fact that people were INSULTING her, saying she was incompetent, a bitch, unprofessional and etc. Mind you, she's also working a full time job, and treat PMG as a hobby, so why should she cater to the readers wants and needa when it is her HOBBY.

4. Arua

Arua Umu...~

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, a lot of given truths in this. However, you can't just brush off the "his donation, her benefit" part out of convenience.

Di Raizel likes this.
  5. Solistia

Solistia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeeaaah, this is why I don't take "donations" but "tips". And I make it perfectly clear that any tip will go towards the purchase of sweet, sweet chocolate |D

Also I'm slow as fuck with RL obligations so I wouldn't be able to do sponsored stuff anyway. I work at my own pace!

sumguy, Jaded, prongsjiisan and 3 others like this.
  6. Oreo

Oreo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Welp, then I guess my opinion would be the picture would be inappropriate :p

7. Di Raizel

Di Raizel Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, I felt too a bit more professionalism would go a long way in making donators feel more valued I guess.

8. Punllarena

Punllarena A cheat Translator

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't use fixed amount for an extra chapter.

I give an extra whenever I can and when there's a coffee, regardless of amount.

I may want money but I do respect that it's a gift, a thanks, a DONATION.

The real DUTY of the translator is to make people support the original author, Buy the LN, if it's still a WN, have the readers give thanks to the Author, give a 5 star rating(Or whatever it is on the novel site).

Asf, Ai chan and dustmite like this.
  9. xTachibana

xTachibana Wincest King

Reading List:
    Link

context is more important than the definition of the word itself....and in this context, you're effectively paying the person to translate.....and when i say effectively, i mean thats literally what you're doing, there is no arguing about that, sponsored chapters are chapters that were paid for, you are literally buying chapters with money, don't sit here and argue semantics because the stupid button says donate instead of "pay now".

10. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    theres some that are inline with your thoughts on this. Though there are some translator that differentiate from how you do things I guess.. mostly CN tl that follow the rwx model. they commercialize their translating work for a fixed amount of money... donation are just the word that is convinient to avoid things that are unwanted.. atleast thats how I see it.

Punllarena and Ai chan like this.
  11. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    The word used on that button was 'Donate', but the act itself was not a donation. The act was 'Payment' in advance for services to be rendered. In this case, the implication is clear. Readers give her $40 for one chapter. This is a business, not a donation. A donation is when money is given without expecting anything in return. In this case, the readers clearly expected one chapter when they donated, which they didn't receive. From the look of it, she hasn't delivered 33 chapters, that's $1320 already donated if they're all sponsored chapters. That's more than some people make in a month.

It's like paying $40k in advance for an imported car, but when the date arrived, the salesman said, "Sorry, the importer died of cancer and couldn't proceed with the transaction". Then what happened to your $40k? Disappear?

If she can't/couldn't deliver, then the decent thing to do is to return the money.

The definition of 'donation' that you quoted is correct. The usage of 'donation' on that site is wrong. If you look again at the definition you yourself quoted and you look at the context of the word on that site, you can clearly see that those are two very different definitions. The word 'donate' shouldn't even be used on that site. The word used should be "Pay" or "Sponsor".

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
    Asf, xTachibana and Jaded like this.
  12. Nefasdetestasti

Nefasdetestasti ❄️Wɪɴᴛᴇʀ's Sᴏɴɢ❄️ ||| [Schrödinger Pantsu]

Reading List:
    Link
    A ticking bomb will explode now.... this is fun

13. Simon

Simon [The Pure One's Chief Steward][Demon Beast]

Reading List:
    Link
    When a translator makes a promise to translate an extra chapter for $XX, they are duty bound to provide that extra chapter. A promise is still an obligation that has to be fulfilled, the person can't say it was just a donation and wipe their hands from the obligation.

14. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
  15. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    >_> should I lock or not...

16. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    dont dood!! Its a legid convo!! Shush

17. Jaded

Jaded Majoring in Erology

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't you lock it yet!! I'll reveal your dark history of you do so!!

The fact that my first post prediction was correct makes me happy.

Honestly, the hate isn't enough. The 'donation are gift', faction members must still be sleeping.

Wujigege likes this.
  18. xTachibana

xTachibana Wincest King

Reading List:
    Link

dude, no one makes 1300 dollars off a hobby, its basically a part time job lol (or full time if you make shit wage, sorry)

i wish i could like you more than once....but then i'd feel like i was hitting on you <3

19. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    I have no comment upon the donation vs paid service debate beyond thinking that donating is stupid.

However, I think that, in any case, bodily health is the most important thing. If she takes time off because of physical debilitation, it's fine and people should accept that. Hell, there's medical leave in the real world. If a tl got into a car accident that left them unable to type for a couple months (or had some other medical malady), would you expect them to have to put up a post on their website within the first couple weeks on his/her hobby/part-time job? I wouldn't.

Stormingtiger101 likes this.
  20. xTachibana

xTachibana Wincest King

Reading List:
    Link

depends on the scenario, I'm tired of friends that i talk to /people i watch disappearing and never hearing from them ever again :v at least take 5 minutes of your busy/sick life to let a guy know that you're busy/sick, really the only thing that sucks about online friendship for me. you have no clue how many friends I've made online that just...stopped talking, they just disappear, never to be seen again, until like 5 years later they hit you up and give you the run down on their life story since they left :v (from experience, this has happened...)

Wujigege likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.