Discussion Duties of a translator

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Di Raizel, Apr 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sal880612m

sal880612m As I thought, love was a status effect! ~ICDS

Reading List:
    Link
    Even jobs can often ask for a doctor's note and unless I'm completely mistaken, which I could be, medical leave require input from a doctor as well as communicating that fact to the employer. Particularly how long before the person is ready to work again. Sometimes this involves re-evaluation, which means updating the employer on the status of the situation. In the situation where someone literally can't type because they broke something it's a little different, but as notsane found a way to get chapters out, it seems dumb to believe that she couldn't have found a way to get minor updates about what was going on out.

I think telling readers/donators to fuck themselves is definitely the wrong approach. While I can understand both sides being upset and the reasons behind it, I do sympathize more with the people that have donated than I do with notsane. Partly because of what she posted but also because the readers/donators never promised her anything and didn't deliver. They have a right to be upset about that. However notsane getting upset about them getting upset about that, rubs me the wrong way. Even if the issue is because she overworked herself to put out chapters, whose fault is that? Hers.

Blaming the readers or viewing them as ungrateful for being angry she failed to deliver on her end when she did, just seem petty to me given that she wasn't forced to accept donations or promise anything in return for them. She can be upset about the situation all she wants, but she should realize whatever her health issues are at this point the only one at fault is herself, getting pissed at the readers/donators for it just seems childish to me. Granted I haven't read every comment, but let's be honest about the numbers here. What percent of the reader base do you think actually comments? Personally I would be surprised if it reached ten percent. In this regard, I view her reaction to readers/donators being upset, no matter what was said, an over-reaction to the views of a small but vocal minority.

Yeah, the readers should be grateful to the translators, and most of the time we are. However you open the door that is sponsored chapters and you invite the idea that people are owed something or that it is less a hobby and more a job. Failing to deliver on that is going to make them upset. If you went to a store and bought an item you can't access yourself (ie, cigarettes, something locked up) and the cashier took your money and then told you to go fuck yourself or even just stood there silently for three hours, you would get pissed off. It's not a matter of being grateful or not. On the other hand doing that to a customer is being ungrateful for their business, because chances are you don't offer a unique service.

On a more chauvinistic/sexist/sarcastic, less judgmental but more I found it a humorous coincidence, note: I find it highly amusing that her health issues is migraines when in fiction (particularly TV and movies) migraines seem to be a blanket excuse women/wives use when they just don't want to have sex that night. As if not wanting to is somehow not a good enough reason but a migraine is. Random aside over.

2. Daily

Daily 日々いちゃつく

Reading List:
    Link
    >Guy1 post a thread and took some words out of context
    >Guy2 reads the thread but doesn't know the complete story
    >Guy2 proceeds to talk shit
    >Other guys proceeds to riot
    >Reasonable Guys who know the complete story gives a sound argument but still doesn't explain the whole context
    >Some other guys rebutt the argument
    >Other guys are still dubious about the situation and continues to riot
    >Topic gets derailed
    >Thread gets locked

Typical NUF...

3. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    Addressing your first point. Notsane doesn't have an employer. She runs her own website and it seems quite evident to me that she doesn't have a "business plan" or such for making money. It's not like she's hosted on WW or something. She's not like DB or Ren where they desire more sponsors. I don't think, frankly, that she cares about if more people sponsor or not.

I take the other view. People aren't forced to donate. If you don't trust a translator enough to know that they'll fulfill your donation when they are capable then why are you donating? Notsane has made her view particularly clear about people complaining in the comments. If I were her tbh, if people complained and tried to donate, I wouldn't accept it and say that I don't want their money.

Furthermore, there is no implicit guarantee of when the sponsored chapters will be released. She won't even be tackling them for awhile since she wants to finish the 20 regular chapters that she missed first. She made no promises that a sponsored chapter would be out within say a week of it being sponsored. I've seen several translators take hiatuses and simply never do the regular chapters that would've been done if they were following their "schedule" and they rarely if ever get any flak for it. At least she's making up for it.

In summation, if you don't like it, don't donate. In fact, I encourage everyone who complained to stop donating. I would rather the chapters slow down and there be only minimal complaints than the way it is now. If you think you are "owed" something when you donate, and this isn't the TL's main job, just don't.
    It's why I don't make close friends with anyone I've met in person and also am perfectly ok with people I don't consider to be close friends leaving. I don't attach to others and do not think they are beholden to stay in my life. People will come and go and you can just treasure the memories.

4. sumguy

sumguy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You... really need to broaden your horizons if you think this is the case, know ppl that makes ~12k a year just doing their hobbies >.> It isn't a lot mind you, they are doing what they love during the weekends and holidays and all the more power to them.

You people obvious haven't dealt with "the people" (aka leechers). There are readers, and then there are the annoying as fuck teenage/manchild leechers that sap any good will, worse when they hound you and chase you across social media (yes, it does happen, not sure if that was the case). When you are sick/in pain, you lash out.

That being said, money always cause problem. Would be funny if paypal freeze all these TLers' account for misusing the donate button like in the past.

5. sal880612m

sal880612m As I thought, love was a status effect! ~ICDS

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally I don't really care about PMG anymore, and I never donated to start with. In terms of attitude and this conflict I simply don't come down on notsane's side. Less because the lack of releases and more because of the lack of updates on what was going on and the tone of the updates.

No forces people to translate, and more so no one forces translators to do sponsored chapters. If you don't want people to feel they're owed, don't dress up donations as sponsored chapters. Just say they are donations and promise nothing. If you say that you will give sponsored chapters then don't, I consider it fraud. I don't know for sure that it is, because you are right she never specified a time frame, but if she didn't also do the regular chapters I am pretty sure it would be. Something retarded like soliciting donations under fraudulent pretenses. I mean if people asked for donations to help kids in Africa and then turned around and funded sports team for wealthy, white males I'm pretty sure someone would get crucified both socially and legally. I do agree that no one is forced to donate, but thinking that they aren't owed something because of that ... just seems like sophistry.

What? Let me put in this way, apparently in Canada the average income hovers around 40-70k. So your 12k is a little more than 14-25% of the average income. I don't know what sort of life you have lived but I just can't consider that a small amount. More so when a minimum wage job where I live will get you between 13-21k a year and that is before deductions and taxes. 13k being a 24hr work week, and 21k being a 40hr work week. Basically I question what sort of hobbie it is that making 12k a year is so simple. I would be forced to ask what is involved in that so I can start doing it, but realistically there is probably going to need to be a huge investment in either time or money or both.

6. Stormingtiger101

Stormingtiger101 Procrastinator ○

Reading List:
    Link
    The bodily health of the translator takes higher importance than the said chapters, but i do think letting the people who donated know the situation is important; unless it was impossible to do so. Which to my understanding she did give them an update do correct me if I am wrong.

And honestly it is a buyer beware situation.

P.S - I find it really amusing how a good page or so of this thread was pretty much about arguing semantics about whether it is donation or payment.

7. sumguy

sumguy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Bingo, huge time investment and some money for props+instruments maintenance+permit, gross and not net btw. Same country btw :p The guy's very talented in the stuff that he does. He's a busker+street performer and the occasional live band (the last one doesn't really pay and is mainly for fun, or so I'm told), if you were ever in Toronto and saw some dude playing hackysack with bowling pin before pulling out a sax, that's the bugger :p

8. yuzuki

yuzuki [sweet night] [plum blossoms]

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't have the energy to comment on this ;-; so...

no comment!

Wujigege likes this.
  9. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    well this has gone far enough or as one user has said, "It's so mind-numbingly atrocious".

10. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Also @Di Raizel Are you referring to this:
    [​IMG]
    here's what she wrote above that
    Personally I agree with her. Fuck all the leechers demanding updates and explanations. The girl was having migraines and dealing with an 80-hours work schedule. She still is dealing with them
    Staring at a computer screen is giving her freaking migraines, and you expect her to post updates about how's she doing? If I was a translator, I would just quit at that point. She didn't and she's still translating. Show some freaking gratitude or at least some empathy. Notsane has always kept her promises to the best of her abilities. DO NOT ATTACK HER.

Now on the topic of whether a translator has the obligation to inform you about sponsored chapter releases. Do translators have some obligation of telling you when sponsored chapters will be up, sure. When they are sick or busy with RL? No. Okay, I get it, people give money to translator to get them to release more chapters. The translator is obligated to release said chapter when they are translated. However if they can't translate, then how are they supposed to have a schedule for you? Translators are humans, not machines. They don't deserve the crap they get if they're late or got sick.

Now if there really was a translator who just took a bunch of donations and never showed up again, rant about them all you want. DO NOT JUDGE THE REST OF THE COMMUNITY.

That was just my two-bits on this topic. Just so everyone is aware, I do not want this forum to become a witching forum. If more threads like this are made, I will lock it. If the thread creator doesn't drop it, I will ban.

Azuka, regan, Arcturus and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.