Discussion EA : From killing Visceral(DeadSpace) to obtaining Respawn(TitanFall)

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by juniorjawz, Nov 10, 2017.

1. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    From shutting down Visceral Games (Battlefield Hardline & Dead Space),
    https://kotaku.com/ea-shuts-down-visceral-games-1819623990

To buying Respawn Entertainment (Titanfall), as in having true ownership.
    https://kotaku.com/sources-ea-is-buying-titanfall-developer-respawn-1820131071

How far will EA slowly take over the good games ...
    tl;dr of EA practices : Micro transactions, Loot Boxes, Season Pass. Gimme all your money!

Well, that's that. If the next Titanfall game suddenly have all these "additions", at least you know what happened.

2. Opjohnaexe

Opjohnaexe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As long as they earn more then they spend, they'll never stop.

3. MostlyBlue

MostlyBlue Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Money talks.

4. tahzib1451

tahzib1451 Title?is it food?

Reading List:
    Link
    they r abandoning sports games release on yearly basis......turned nfs into crap....battlefield is still ok...medal of honor failed with the war on terror...hmmm what else has gone wrong...

5. OnigaImasuka

OnigaImasuka A devil in disguise

Reading List:
    Link
    While I agree that EA is cancer; according to "several" employees at Visceral the "Ragtag"-star wars game was dead in the water before they even began the coding and many employees finds the fact that it took this long for EA to close it down astounding. (Don't remember the source for this though)
    (Though it seems like, according to the linked article, that they will still be trying to fix it under EA Vancouver this time)

And I believe loot boxes was invented in Asia/Japan in the form of "gacha".

And don't forget that EA is not alone in being a cancer that slowly seems to the destroy good games. Just look at Ubisoft and their "anti-piracy" measures. There's rumours that their new Assassin's Creed's PC version uses 40% more resources than it should due to them using two different DMR-protections.

So in short: Gamers are screwed.

6. Mopeah

Mopeah Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They do all this because it works. People buy into the microtransactions and loot boxes. As long as it's only advertisement and doesn't impede the gameplay or give unfair advantage to certain players, I have no problem with these things at all, I just don't add my credit card number. But once it does affect gameplay, there will be severe backlash by the community and usually the company's forced to take the mechanics out of the game or they're faced with legal ramifications. I don't really care if microtransactions become a common thing, as long as they don't take it too far.

7. KingOfDreams

KingOfDreams [Master of Sleepiness]

Reading List:
    Link
    EA is cancer this i think most people will agree on they always do this: buy a studio milk it then close it down. rip titanfall in a few years.

8. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    what's nfs?

9. tahzib1451

tahzib1451 Title?is it food?

Reading List:
    Link
    need for speed

10. Purple Panda

Purple Panda Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My biggest grief over their business practices is regarding what happened to Westwood Studious. C&C series with the exception of Generals became great disappointments under them. Even Red Alert 3 is a disappointment, and I actually love Red Alert and Red Alert 2. And the nearest Tiberium release can't even be called Command & Conquer anymore. If they give the game a different name, I think I can accept it, but they called it Command & Conquer while there isn't any element of Command & Conquer annoys me a lot.

11. Khatulistiwa

Khatulistiwa An Egg Eternal

Reading List:
    Link
    EA, huh? they used to be great :blobneutral:

12. DZ_Spellcaster

DZ_Spellcaster Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They used to be. I still remember a first article on PC Gamer that's written about them. So much optimism.

13. OriginalChaser

OriginalChaser Dying as a Human

Reading List:
    Link
    All shining metals dull over time, All fun moments surely end, those who see this coming, will know when to move on and survive, those who do not will die in their dreams.

Ea, Bethesda, Bungie, Activision... just a few examples of great names that are succumbing to the cancer of greed that was induced by their own success.

To "save" themselves companies like EA are purchasing and cannibalizing smaller companies and incorporating the "winning" parts into their own system to only prolong the inevitable.

personally the faster these companies collapse, the faster newer companies can take the forefront and revitalize the gaming world.

14. Purple Panda

Purple Panda Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The problem with that wish is that these companies prosper for a reason. They are quick to take in profitable companies and quick to throw away losing ones. Where game studios used to 'take a chance', EA plays it safe and only deals with proven profitable methods. Where these studies fold because they lost the gamble, EA remains as they always were, simply because EA doesn't take chances. If something is winning, they take this winning formula. They don't venture into the unknown. It takes a serious dedicated effort on everyone's part to get rid of these poisons.

It all start with consumers. If all those who buy EA products boycott EA for half a year, they will fold and new idealistic studios can take over. But of course, this will never work because consumers don't actually hate EA that much despite what they said. These same people who complain about EA in public would still buy EA products.

OriginalChaser likes this.
  15. OriginalChaser

OriginalChaser Dying as a Human

Reading List:
    Link
    it's not that we despise EA, what I despise is that without producers like EA all new companies eventually get treated like B class companies and usually ignored, mostly do to one thing that has multiple names.... money! EA has the money to advertise and purchase those companies that they feel like gambling. While new companies usually don't, and when they do get enough built up, it is usually after signing a "deal with the devil" so to speak.

Purple Panda likes this.