Earning Money By Writing Novels?

Discussion in 'Author Discussions' started by Rosetta, Jun 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rosetta

Rosetta Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi peopleee!
    Well, just like the title suggests, I’m quite curious if you can earn money by publishing your work in sites such as WebNovel and like. I like writing and I wonder if I can make money through writing in WN format and publishing in certain sites.
    Also, what sites to use and how to use them in order to increase efficiency in writing- like which sites support amateurs and which sites has better features to publish work?
    Thanks☆〜(ゝ。∂)

2. brigs11

brigs11 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Write something good on RoyalRoad and make a patreon after it gets popular I guess, you probably won't earn a cent until your novel gets popular or you're an established author.

3. Ral

Ral Not a Well-Known Member ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't do Webnovel. They give out slave contracts.
    First you need to write 100 free chapters, then you get some very low percentage of the chapters you sell later.
    They can dictate were the story needs to go and they can push you off the project and have somebody else take over.

Or something like that...

There have been threads about that on NUF.

~~
    But yeah, get a following on RR or ScribbleHub and set up patreon with advance chapters, etc.

4. 222222

222222 12121212121212121212121212121212121212121212121212

Reading List:
    Link
    If you use a middleman(webnovel), expect the middleman to get a cut of your money.

DemWafflz and Rosetta like this.
  5. frozenlimabeans

frozenlimabeans Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would NOT suggest webnovel. You can post there if you want, but don't sign any contracts.

DemWafflz and Rosetta like this.
  6. Alvastar

Alvastar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, write up an outline of events you want in your novel, break down those events by chapter, then write at least 20+ of them. If you like what you have by that point you'll know if you can keep up the pace. Then, you've got a stockpile of chapters and an idea of what you can do.

If you can do that, then you'll know if you have something to post. Most people have been doing that on RRL. The common theme seems to be posting up the chapters on RRL to get feedback, setting up a Patreon after it hits in the 2k rankings to release advance chapters, and then using the feedback to edit and release a novel on Amazon Kindle.

Astaroth, ebonykun, lostross and 2 others like this.
  7. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A fair number of web novel authors use Patreon, and you can link to Patreon from most platforms - RoyalRoad, Scribble Hub, AO3, etc. A setup like that gives you a lot of personal freedom. Platforms like Webnovel, on the other hand, offer you contracts that give them a portion of the income from your novel in exchange for, theoretically, a larger population of interested readers and use of their own style of monetization. Hard to say that reader population thing is actually the case, though.

Some authors also choose to publish through Amazon, bundling their web novel into volumes, light novel style. They usually either take their web novel down when they do (all or just a portion corresponding to the published chapters), or leave it up and let people buy the published version as a form of voluntary support. Amazon does take a cut, too.

Whichever route you go, your income will vary wildly based on your novel's popularity. Most web novel authors make very little, if anything, while some others make stupid large amounts. The market is there. There are plenty of readers who can and will support their favorite authors. ...but you have to offer something pretty decent to claim a chunk of it.

8. clmbheat

clmbheat Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would suggest self publishing through Amazon. It seems to be free and If you can get patreon or some other form of income, you can keep using them to try and get a larger audience.

Rosetta likes this.
  9. Juju48

Juju48 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My biggest advice would be to keep writing. If you want to self publish an amazon it takes releasing ten books on a regular schedule to get and keep a good following. So the best thing to do is generate ideas and start writing.

10. Rosetta

Reading List:
    Link
    xxdjynxx likes this.
  11. Korose

Korose Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i think it is not entirely free, also you will have to take down most public chapters, up to 10% free or so, and probably cant hand it out via patreon etc

Most new writers publish on royalroad and scribblehub
    few collect money via patreon and if so only if a story has comparable many followers/readers where people are either willing to donate or advance chaps work
    and even less people get to publish on amazon or elsewhere

also, often wip get dropped/discontinued which is also counterproductive for generating income if you have no perseverance

Astaroth, clmbheat and Rosetta like this.
  12. Mighty Action X

Mighty Action X Mighty and Invincible

Reading List:
    Link
    You can. If your work is good or have potentials, you and your work might get invited in a fiction site or platform to be part of their pay to read.

Rosetta likes this.
  13. checkm8

checkm8 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The Patreons that I have seen that show the greatest monetary success follows a similar pattern:

Large word count behind a few Patreon Tiers (typically $5 & $10) and who consistently update several times a week.
    Examples:
    Pirateaba Wandering Inn https://www.patreon.com/pirateaba Note: Patreons ($5+) only get one chapter ahead of public but the chapters typically are in the 15-30k word count.
    Shirtaloon He Who Fights With Monsters https://www.patreon.com/Shirtaloon Note: 3 Tiers ($1 - 5 chapters, $5 - 10 chapters, $10 - 20 chapters)
    Senescent Soul Delve https://www.patreon.com/user?u=21589642 Note: $2.50 Tier that gives access to all advanced chapters (8 chapters) and the author only updates once per week.
    First Defiler Defiance of the Fall https://www.patreon.com/DefianceNovels Note: 4 Tiers ($1 - 2 chapters, $3 - 7 Chapters, $5 - 15 Chapters, $10 - 34 Chapters)
    G.Harthane Azarinth Healer https://www.patreon.com/RhaegarRRL Note: ($2 - 10 Chapters, $5 - 20 Chapters)

Once you get past that level of monetary success things get more spread out where good writing but slower or more sporadic updating can still bring in a decent amount of Patreon revenue ($1k+) per month.

Examples:
    Nobody103 Mother of Learning https://www.patreon.com/nobody103 Note: Completed novel but still has 622 Patreons bringing in $1900+ per month)
    Stewart92 There is no Epic Loot Here only Puns https://www.patreon.com/user?u=3031332 Note: Sporadic updates but still bringing in $1100+/month in Patreon)

Graphtreon is a good website to check out if you are curious to see how well various Patreons are doing.

It also bears mentioning that building a successful Patreon takes time, almost all of these examples took several months to be successful. The only exception I know of is Shirtaloon's which jumped past $5k in about a month after their Patreon launch.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    Astaroth, chindy02, Rosetta and 2 others like this.
  14. Rosetta

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow, so detailed of an explanation! Thanks sooooo much

15. Vanidor

Vanidor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Amazon is free to publish eBooks, they take a varying cut depending on price + electronic delivery fee(usually a few pennies, but image heavy eBooks rack it way up). They do have a paid print book service separately where they will send you a sample of a print on demand book and then sell it if you approve, I think it was $35 US.

If you aren't American you'll want to get a Tax Identification Number, free but takes a few weeks.

Astaroth and Rosetta like this.
  16. Rosetta

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm... to be honest, sounds complicated but I will not be disheartened hehee! Thanks for the explanation BTW

17. Vanidor

Vanidor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No problem. There's free simplified explanations of it all online, but if you are an American it is much easier to deal with Amazon. Same with D2D and Smashwords, both them distribute to various eBook stores.

18. Melikachan

Melikachan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My friend first published her novel on internet then made a kickstarter to gather money for publishing her novel physically after it got popular enough

19. Leviathan-Maos

Leviathan-Maos Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I write a book on Ringdom, and I feel it's not bad. At least I can earn about 50 USD per month.
    I rarely receive royalty but they pay me for the daily updates monthly.
    Besides, they are launching a writing contest which offers 3000USD as the top prize. But it's not easy to write over 60000 words in 70 days.
    And if you like to read fantasy stories in the city, please give my story a try! ;)
    https://www.ringdomstory.com/novel/MfP+3rrUWF0lCwnWFu3T9Q==-Summoner:-The-Book-of-Dimension.html

ebonykun likes this.
  20. Brian_90Web

Brian_90Web Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A very good idea. I used to try to make money like that, but the profit was small.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.