Discussion Emotions

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Zeusomega, Jul 11, 2020.

?

How important are they

1. Crucial

2. Situational

3. It's instinctive

4. Knowing is enough

5. Here and there

6. It's a hassle

7. It's a burden

8. Shackles to the path of sainthood

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Zeusomega

Zeusomega M.D of Olympus Pvt Ltd. Seeking [Boltzmann brain]

Reading List:
    Link
    1)Do you feel emotions are important?

2)Do you feel understanding them is important?

3)Do you think it's necessary to feel emotions even after understanding them?.

4)What factors effect your decision, is it relations?, Job?, Beliefs?.

5)Who is better

a)One who is emotional

b)One who is emotionless

c)One who is emotionless with a mask of emotions

d)One who is emotional with a mask of emotionless.

6)And finally, what do you think would happen to your emotions if you became omniscient(knowing everything), and omnipotent (having unlimited power)?

Immortal_Meow and TheBookWorm like this.
  2. SassyCanoeWizard

SassyCanoeWizard Allure of the unknown

Reading List:
    Link
    Crucial, depends on situation you are in. When you need support you may both be supported by calm person and emotional one. Important matter is whether that person really help you out. When you are happy about something and want to share it it’s more important whether person will use it later on against you or you can trust him. It’s more of what stance that person has, whether that person is the ally you need than amount of emotions he or she releases

They might be a burden. A hassle. But in the end it’s crucial to control them. Because if you won’t you may lose potential allies I suppose =)

Shirayuki.. and Zeusomega like this.
  3. Donuts

Donuts Endless surge of emotions

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Yes with out a doubt
    2. It’s not that important
    3. It’s necessary cause emotions makes human become human rather than a machine
    4. Belief
    5. D
    6. It will be come numb and it will slowly disappear

Zeusomega likes this.
  4. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Sometimes but not always
    Yes
    Yes

Logic
    5)Who is better

a)One who is emotional

b)One who is emotionless

None of those

6)And finally, what do you think would happen to your emotions if you became omniscient(knowing everything), and omnipotent (having unlimited power)?
    Nothing, they are there but now I got more knowledge and power

Zeusomega likes this.
  5. Fp401

Fp401 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. Having experiencing them yourself makes it better.
    4. What kind of decisions?
    5. None of them.
    6. I would be like dying or fading away. Kinda like what happens to the humans in She Was Both Called God, as Well as Satan

Immortal_Meow and Zeusomega like this.
  6. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link
    i feel bad for u if ur just an icecube, how do u go about life enjoying things?

Zeusomega likes this.
  7. Kuroguma

Kuroguma [Cyber Lich] [Aspie] [SOX][Forgotten Perv]

Reading List:
    Link

Zeusomega likes this.
  8. Echopelt

Echopelt Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    they are if you want to feel "human" but when you think about it, there's really only one positive emotion of happiness while everything else is negative so i personally dislike having emotion.
    for me, they should be understood so that you know when something triggers an extreme emotion and stop it from showing.
    as answered in 1), emotions are a waste since you mostly feel negative ones
    logic and common sense, sometimes relations depending on if they can deal with my craziness
    5)Who is better
    b) because they won't actually pretend to care about anything.
    if that happens then i should be able to not show all of my emotions or not feel much since i know the worse situations that other people experience

Zeusomega likes this.
  9. Zeusomega

Reading List:
    Link
    XD but I never said anything about my choice did I?. I'm not a Vulcan trying to decrypt homo sapiens XD.

Though sometimes I do wish to be capable of indifference. I've made many mistakes in fit of rage and anxiety that I regret.

Like one said above me, happiness is truly the one emotion I want, all else is just extra package.

10. nyamachi

nyamachi [Chaos Twin :3] [Melo fanclub member]

Reading List:
    Link
    1) Yes~!
    2) Definitely!
    3) Yeah, helps you relate to others.
    4) Depends?? Probably a combination of logic, beliefs, feelings, and advice from people knowledgeable about the issue (relations or not)
    5) All have their strengths but if I had to choose one, probably d. If you're too emotional, your judgement is clouded; too emotionless and you don't connect with people; c... mm idk i guess i would feel sad or hurt if someone who seemed happy or caring really wasn't. d... isn't this why there's the coldhearted guy trope? :3
    6) If that happened, everything might seem less exciting and stimulating (because i know it all or can make it happen). Like, it might be cool at first but eventually, the novelty might fade.

Zeusomega likes this.
  11. TheBookWorm

TheBookWorm Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Yes but sometimes it's a hindrance so it kinda depends actually
    2. Not really, it's kinda instinctive already so I don't see the point of further understanding it
    3. This is a but tricky, but imo it's not absolutely necessary
    4. Relations, Job, Belief and many more factors
    5. as a person: All. it's situational
    to be around with: definitely A
    6. Either emotions are intensified or the opposite, complete numbness.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    Zeusomega likes this.
  12. Immortal_Meow

Immortal_Meow CEO of novelupdates

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Yes I think emotions are important cuz wouldn’t we all be like robots if they weren’t there? (even though negative emotions suck)
    2. Yeah I think it’s pretty important to understand what you and the people around you are feeling (I always seem to forget that others also have feelings -.-“)
    3. Of course you should still have feelings after you understood them, otherwise didn’t you work hard to understand them for nothing? O.O
    4. I have no clue because I don’t feel a lot... of emotions... but I think I’m just saying what comes to mind so is that... logic? I don’t believe in anything (myself!!)
    5. I think I like C the best cuz I like myself ╮( ̄▽ ̄"")╭
    6. So I was thinking... when you’re omniscient and you have emotions (and you’re not a maniac), you’ll try to help people whenever you can right? But then you see people being ungrateful and doing bad things and trying to use you and hurt other people and then after a while your heart gets broken, right?? I mean I think it would be pretty amazing to be omniscient but, not really... oh well that’s just what I was thinking. Cool question by the way, how did you think of it?

13. Zeusomega

Reading List:
    Link
    it's a secret

Immortal_Meow likes this.
  14. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can only ascertain they are invaluable to us; certainly in the irrational sense that all rationality is based on sound logic but fueled by irrationality itself. A statement of our dualism in its most human configuration. It's already proven flora and fauna possess emotions, too, in varying degrees, though, inhibited by their biological limitations.
    In consequent of such self evaluation, logically speaking so, one can find enlightenment or peace with their inner self. A discord over mind and matter is nothing a test of human spirit cannot solve.
    It is not a necessity but rather a instinctual function enabled by our chemical factory of a body working through our bio-electrical network. One cannot fully sever emotions unlike severing feeling itself; the sensation you will, can be actually or artificially removed.
    Emotions and feelings, my good sir.
    D
    Dr. Manhattan is what will happen or like any all powerful being. Easily losing one's humanity, in its essence, emotions of startling origins gradually fade away to cold, harsh truths. Subjective reality is the human ordeal and objective reality is the inhuman ordeal.

Zeusomega likes this.
  15. Zeusomega

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmm.. aren't you making it look like emotions are Humanity's asset ?

Then a objective pragmatic person isn't human? Doesn't it seem unlawful to strip humanity of objective pursue?

16. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not assets nor liabilities, because even plants and animals feel emotions. Though, not to the level of humans.

Yes, because humans by default are flawed. To truly become an objective ruling heap of logic is impossible. To become as such, one would have to be fully impartial to their human sense of values, human senses, and human mind. Ah, such transformation is akin to oneness or losing your inherent common sense.

Nothing is being stripped. Pursue it however you desire, the truth will not change, but you will. Hence, the conceptualization of concepts and their effects on the Human World.

Zeusomega likes this.
  17. Vilidious

Vilidious Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel that mainly to the degree that one is capable of trying to look at things from other people's perspective.

In other words, I'd prefer people at least tried to understand things from other people's perspective and give the benefit of doubt (not necessarily succeed), instead of immediately being negatively judgemental just because things don't fit their own view on world.

In my opinion, that'd save a lot of pointless hassle, grief, and save me from a lot of irritating drama in my news, youtube recommendations, etc.

Other than that, lack of emotions can at worst leave you forever alone and pushed out of society... which ain't that bad, in the end.

Understanding emotions would at least make it easier to recognize when one is being too emotional, and why, possibly come to terms with them, and then either inhibit them, ignore them, or express it all and get them out of your system.... so it'd be a conscious decision and not some kind of "oopsie, I just murdered all the younglings in the Jedi Temple".

In my opinion, in order to feel positive emotions, one needs negative emotions as contrast.

Basically, if you're never unhappy, you'll never feel better than before (i.e. happy).

In other words, I feel emotions are a line in a 2-D space, with higher y -axis values being "positive" emotions, and lower values being more "negative" emotions... the x -axis would be time.

The y -axis values could also be cumulative memories of emotional state at specific points of time, if that suits your personal model better.

If the derivative of the line is positive, you feel better; i.e. happier; if it is negative, you feel worse.

Similarly, no matter how high and positive your normal feeling is, if it doesn't fluctuate, life will only be satisfactory without ups and downs, it doesn't have much of a flavor, and you'll feel just "ok" and kinda empty.

As such, if you're really rich and generally do well, if there's nothing to gain or lose anymore, then you'll feel meaningless and just satisfied, which may make you depressed depending on person and mood.

Mostly I think my decisions on emotions come from looking at them from a "rational" and detached point of view.

Note, this doesn't mean I know a thing nor that I'm right in any way... it just means there's a "method to my madness"... it's up to readers to decide what they believe or adopt, as always.

I think the best one of these options is the one that fits the individual best and makes him most satisfied with himself; my indicator of "better" is here an individual's satisfaction and happiness on himself... however, personally, I'd go for either a) or b), because then I wouldn't have to pretend nor wear any mask.

I'd prefer to live my life as who I am, not as someone others want me to be for their own benefit and self-satisfaction.

If I really cared and got things done, I'd become effing busy trying to mediate all the bs in the world... most likely I'd just end up a even more sarcastic, negative, grumpy and thorny person who'd just scoff at everyone.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    Zeusomega likes this.
  18. Villager Anonymous

Villager Anonymous Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, they are most crucial especially happiness, anger, and contempt.
    Not as much but it can help people struggling with them.
    Yes.
    Logic and philosophy for the most part, humans are almost alien to the concept of objectivity in that all goals have some kind of non-rational force for them. That said along as you are willing to do nothing no matter what then emotions and instincts are pointless.
    5)Who is better
    a)One who is emotional
    b)One who is emotionless
    Objectively better doesn't exist but if you want my subjective thoughts I would say a) and d) are better because they have emotions.
    6)And finally, what do you think would happen to your emotions if you became omniscient(knowing everything), and omnipotent (having unlimited power)? My brain would burn out or otherwise be destroyed killing me from the backlash of trying to store too much information. If I had a brain that could survive it whilst retaining my personality I would probably be depressed and hateful knowing the details of every bad thing anybody will ever do. Omnipotence would probably be fun and good but would probably wear out my mind for any extended period of time. Of course with omnipotence I would probably use my powers to protect my emotions.

Zeusomega likes this.
  19. Zeusomega

Reading List:
    Link
    You are not getting it, it's not about absolute objective or subjective. It's about inclusive of both and being human at the same time.

Even If one isn't capable of sympathy, he/she is still human, there doesn't need to be a need for understanding for one to be a human.

It's totally not practical or even justified to Humanity.

Humanity is flawed if you think it is, we have no equal sentient race with different evolution path to compare to.

For a race to be limited to one perspective it's truly a failure in all sense.

20. Evil

Evil Twisted Mirror

Reading List:
    Link
    1) Depends.
    2) Yes.
    3) It's not necessary to feel them at all, but it's nice to have them
    4) Personal Beliefs
    5) Depends.
    6) Nothing, it'd mean there is no free will.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    Zeusomega likes this.