Spoiler Emperor’s Conquest

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by a_b, Apr 2, 2018.

1. a_b

a_b Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  2. MashieDolls

MashieDolls Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Any spoilers?

3. grace246

grace246 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I listened to the audiobook version awhile ago so I only vaguely remember the story. Overall, it was very captivating but also very sad. I might be remembering things wrong but this was the gist of the story:

The main character eventually meets her husband, Xiao Qi, for the first time 3 years after marriage. She learns from him that their marriage was largely planned by her father and aunt for the good of their family. Even the fact that he was away for 3 years right after the marriage ceremony was also related to some power struggles and her family. They start falling in love. Some revolting and power struggle takes place (that I don't remember). Eventually the emperor dies and the crown prince dies soon after (I think). The crown prince leaves behind an infant son who is proclaimed the new emperor. By this point the Xiao Qi has become very powerful and becomes the regent. The baby emperor has some sort of an accident (fell down stairs?) and becomes mentally challenged. The main girl also further realizes her parent's relationship wasn't as perfect as she thought it was. Some more political unrest. Eventually they somehow take over the throne and has at least one boy and one girl. They have a few years of calm and happiness but the main girl dies due to sickness that was worsened by all the hardship they had over the story. Xiao Qi is devastated by her death. Xiao Qi is strict with their son but lets their daughter live a carefree life.

Also, at some point, Zi Tan, the childhood love interest comes back and becomes embroiled in the power struggle. Due to his position, he becomes a threat to the throne. Main girl eventually helps him to change his identity and he lives the rest of his life in the countryside as a teacher.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    hwya, iampheng, Maikh and 2 others like this.
  4. hwya

hwya Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It has drama adaptation now & I just wonder to watch or not. Seems like not my type for now! But just relieve to know they lived in peace for sometime & had children even though FL died in future. Not "to save you I died" type of tragedy...