Question Emperor domination basilisk ? why chicken head ?

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Basty, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Basty

Basty Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    as i know threre some monster with chicken head and petify ablity (trough breath) is cocktalis but why basilisk that have dragon blood and in lizard type dose have chicken head .... and feather ...

2. Gilgamesh223

Gilgamesh223 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ask the writer of the story or the ones who created the witcher series, they have the same thing

3. AardwarkThe2nd

AardwarkThe2nd (R-18 writer) Aardwark, the king of aardvarks!

Reading List:
    Link
    In Harry Potter, basilisks could be killed by a cock's crow.

4. Mantrazz

Mantrazz The Lord Upgrade D Biggest Baddest Spammer Around

Reading List:
    Link
    cockatrice?

5. Bkiro

Bkiro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Legend says it was born out of a chicken's egg. You should check out one piece basilisk. Best basilisk interpretation (or a representation, not exactly sure which word is proper. Not native speaker) I've ever seen. Haha

6. Cygsiulle

Cygsiulle error 404: title not found

Reading List:
    Link
    3 types of creatures with petrification i know of are basilisk, cockatrice, and the gorgon. the cockatrice should be the birdlike one, basilisk would be more lizard-like, and gorgons are along the lines of reptilian crossbreeds. then again, i'm probably just used to the way things've been shown from the might and magic and dungeons and dragons games.

7. Yukkuri Oniisan

Yukkuri Oniisan 『Procrastinator Archwizard Translator and Writer』

Reading List:
    Link
    Cockatrice became seen as synonymous with basilisk when the basiliscus (a latin word) in Bartholomeus Anglicus' De proprietatibus rerum (ca 1260) was translated by John Trevisa as cockatrice (1397), the word cockatrice itself is a French loan word cocatris. A basilisk, however, is usually depicted without wings.
    The Old French word cocatris, from medieval Latin calcatrix, a translation of the Greek ichneumon, meaning tracker. The twelfth century legend was based on a reference in Pliny's Natural History [that the ichneumon lay in wait for the crocodile to open its jaws for the trochilus bird to enter and pick its teeth clean. An extended description of the cockatriz by the 15th-century Spanish traveller in Egypt, Pedro Tafur, makes it clear that this refers to the Nile crocodile.

Hence because John Trevisa confused the basilisk with the cockatrice, the Englishmen depicted both as the same. When it was borrowed by other culture, you might see basilisk depicted as chicken.

Then again there is an old tale that:
    The basilisk is hatched by a cockerel from the egg of a serpent or toad.
    The cockatrice is hatched from a cockerel's "egg" incubated by a serpent or toad.

In Bullfinch Mythology, cockatrice was deemed the same as a basilisk.
    http://www.sacred-texts.com/cla/bulf/bulf35.htm
    MODERN MONSTERS- THE PHOENIX- BASILISK- UNICORN -SALAMANDER states
    There is an old saying that “everything has its enemy” – and the cockatrice quailed before the weasel. The basilisk might look daggers, the weasel cared not, but advanced boldly to the conflict. When bitten, the weasel retired for a moment to eat some rue, which was the only plant the basilisks could not wither, returned with renewed strength and soundness to the charge, and never left the enemy till he was stretched dead on the plain. The monster, too, as if conscious of the irregular way in which he came into the world, was supposed to have a great antipathy to a cock; and well he might, for as soon as he heard the cock crow he expired.

In case you don't know what Bullfinch Mythology is, it's a book that is highly successful in introducing Greek mythology creature to the English-speaker and highly popular. Many modern depictions of mythology creatures are based from this book.
    Also, this book is really nice if you are a D&D GM or fantasy writer.

8. jimmy1989

jimmy1989 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's just the way it is. Why is a minotaur a bull at the top half and human bottom half? Why can't it be a chicken? Stop asking dumb questions.

9. cktulica

cktulica Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    most people confuse cockatrice and basilisk. but this might be a difference between western and eastern culture

10. gmzweikun

gmzweikun Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chicken head ? Well just imagine it like that four eyed basilisk always said to himself "This handsome me..."
    Imagine four eye Jackie Chan and all is well..

11. Bao

Bao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The translation used to be Dragonfowl because the word for basilisk was a different one in Chinese. I changed it to basilisk after receiving some suggestions to make it sound better. In retrospect, the better localization word would be cockatrice.

But basilisks can have a chicken head as well without being limited to serpent/snake form.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  12. k1nk4

k1nk4 Sage Verdurous Sea Turtle

Reading List:
    Link
    what yukkury said, you should have seen it if you ever played dragon's dogma. When you see western mythology monster translated in chinese novels, take it with a grain of salt.

I saw many ppl translate Kirins as Unicorns, till now I still dont know if the unicorns in Perfect World, SYWZ and others are in fact kirins.
    cockatrice

13. no168_92

no168_92 BrokenDoor|NeedsFixing|LackingFunds|DonorsWelcomed

Reading List:
    Link
    All hail IE Bao...
    Ps
    : Imho, cockatrice is definitely more accurate by physical description of the character and biologically..

14. Basty

Basty Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    thats result in 4 eye chicken ....
    but ability for petify by eye is on basilisk (as snake) while cocktarice is said to be by petification breath.

15. honglath

honglath I miss my PC

Reading List:
    Link
    It's all movies for me, so i have no idea how much of this is accurate, but if i remember it right, regardless of who her partner was, Medusa's children were called gorgons. And while all female spawns took after medusa(top half human, bottom half snake), the male versions (that survived birth) were more unique and less humanlike.
    I think Medusa had kids with the Minotaur and their male offsprings were bulls with scaly skin and snake eyes. And while i don't remember the rest of her partners, other unique creations that could petrify turned out to be results of her dalliances over time...

16. Basty

Basty Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    be pertified.... really...
    [​IMG]

gmzweikun likes this.
  17. akki

akki [Ani's C☕ffee-mate #3] [Shady Merchant]

Reading List:
    Link
    The person who came up with the basilisk wanted to make it a weird creature. So they put together a weird combo?