Discussion Empire Domination: Immortal and Immortality.

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by tomanonimos, Sep 23, 2016.

1. tomanonimos

tomanonimos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As I have been reading this novel I have seen a lot of times describing individuals as immortals but yet the idea of death of old age is present for them. In a recent chapter I read, immortals were questioning "if this was immortality".

Does immortal have a different or two meanings in Chinese?

edit: Meant to say Emperor's Domination.

2. OverlyFriendly

OverlyFriendly I should do something about

Reading List:
    Link
    Seems they are only allowed to live for a generation :/
    It is weird
    Also curious
    *watches thread*

3. tomanonimos

Reading List:
    Link
    My understanding is that essentially everyone is a mortal but for every increase in cultivation (level up) they gain additional life and once they beat Heaven's Will they become immortal. Which still confuses me to why they are called immortals in the first place.

4. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Immortal emperors are called immortal because they wish to achieve immortality, not because they actually have done so yet.

5. Bao

Bao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    https://www.reddit.com/r/noveltranslations/comments/53lnsp/question_emperors_domination/

Here is the explanation on this.

"Truciderete got it, but I'll spout some random stuff here.

When I first started the translation on a whim, Immortal Emperor was one of the term that slowed me down. I didn't know the right word for this, and Immortal was definitely not the first word that came to mind. I was thinking Saint or God before Immortal.

So I believed I went to look up other translation such as ISSTH in order to find the equivalent for xian di. I found that for the English community, Xian = Immortal thus I followed suit from then on.

My justification for this or rather my understanding of the word xian is that it denotes a higher being, especially in older stories such as Journey to the West or Investiture of the Gods. The majority of higher beings were called xian ren (immortal), and their counterparts (fan ren) were mortals. To mortals, anyone with magical powers were xian ren, and they had higher lifespan than ordinary humans. In Chinese literature, there are different words to describe "true immortal" beings in a more specific manner, so xian did not mean eternal lifespan, but more of a being transcending mortality.

Basically, when the word immortal/xian comes up in Chinese works, don't take it as immortality in the traditional English sense.

Maybe someone else can explain why xian = immortal in an etymological sense, but I don't know this either. But it is certain that this translation is quite accepted across the board including the professional translators for ancient text."

OverlyFriendly and deadLights like this.
  6. Deceptioning

Deceptioning Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In Daoism, you have something called an Immortal (仙/仙人). They're usually described as timeless, but not impervious to death itself. They're a step up from mortals, but not gods either, and neither will they ever become one. A lot of novels generally take this term and make it suit their own stories though.

7. Estarossa

Estarossa 《Master of Dessert》°Resurrected Ghoul°

Reading List:
    Link
    I always assumed the closest thing was when Linley became a Saint.

8. bender

bender Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe it just means they are immortal in their era, as in the strongest and no one can threaten them so they set the rules until they die.

9. tomanonimos

Reading List:
    Link
    Saints were immortal so it wouldn't be applicable to this situation.

10. tomanonimos

Reading List:
    Link
    That is what I thought but just needed a confirmation. My head kept hurting on how an immortal emperor would be gone when he was immortal lol.

11. Okuri Ookami

Okuri Ookami 'Chi Chi Chi' calls the Sparrow

Reading List:
    Link
    From my understanding of reading lots of CN's is that those that practice cultivation and have broken past the mortal realm of living for 100 yrs and entered into the higher realm of living for multiple hundred years to millennium are considered immortals and immortal practitioners. Immortality is obtained once you break into the HIGHEST realm of immortal cultivation where swords and blades that can cleave flesh wouldn't kill you and only destroying the True Soul can erase your existence.

That being said I've never read this novel myself and have been quite weary of picking it up.

Can anyone explain to me the good and bad aspects of this novel without being biased? You can never trust the reviews as there is only a chance of answering your questions.

Is there romance in this story?
    Are there close friends/followers?
    Does the MC have Pets?!

12. Decimationalism

Decimationalism Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    From the novels that I've read that depicts immortality, it is a general fact in those wuxia novels that it is not immortality that does not die but the fact that it is Im-Mortal which is in layman's context, the state in which you are beyond the boundaries of mortal capability in some aspects rather than one focus. For example: It is acceptable that a man is Im-mortal for the fact that they have strength to topple mountains and has the lofty presence of Mt. Tai. Though in later parts of the novel those aspects of mortality does get covered up though somewhat like Meng Hao regenerating over and over again from nothing because of his eternal stratum but yet it is also limited :p

13. OverlyFriendly

OverlyFriendly I should do something about

Reading List:
    Link
    Ohh well that explains a lot

14. tomanonimos

Reading List:
    Link
    First the authors synopsis is correct. TL;DR A teacher of important figures in history becomes a mortal again because he retook his body.

I'm only at chapter 153 but thats pretty close to give a unbiased review.

>Is there romance in this story?
    No. At most one could argue would be it is a one sided love towards the main character from the female characters. But even that argument is a HUGE stretch.

>Are there close friends/followers?
    Yes 1000%.

>Does the MC have Pets?
    Yes in a way.

I find this novel as good as ATG and TDG in their early days so far. It's only at chapter 200 but I haven't seen a hint of quality drop like what we saw in TDG and ATG.

Okuri Ookami likes this.
  15. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll take your word for it for right now as I did enjoy TDG and ATG during the first 100-200 chapters but now I've dropped TDG and ATG has been on semi-permanent hold since I repacked it up then stopped reading when he healed the king about a month or two ago.

16. tomanonimos

Reading List:
    Link
    ATG doesn't quality drop isn't as bad as TDG thats just a fact. What is up to argument is how much of a quality drop ATG has had. Some will say there will be none (though imo the vocal minority), it dropped in quality but improved to acceptable, and those that found the quality drop to be unacceptable. Personally I found ATG getting repetitive as if the author ran out of ideas and was just reskining his formulas. If you ever continue reading just keep in mind Yun Che's first ranking tournament (Blue Wind ranking tournament) and you'll understand what I mean.

17. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally I don't know if I can say the quality has dropped but maybe that I've gotten used to the theme so much so I can't really be surprised or excited about new information anymore. Its not as entertaining anymore. When I picked it up again not long ago I was having a grand time reading but gradually my excitement kept falling I don't even know why that kept happening but I know it had to do with his constant women problems... TDG the overall drop can't even begin to compare to how good it was when it first started out. At least ATG is still readable. So in the end I do seem to agree with your opinion.