Discussion English exam

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Ha-Ha, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Ha-Ha

Ha-Ha A chance to love you, protect you, Shen Anxin.

Reading List:
    Link
    So I got an exam for English and I’m pretty chill with the syllabus but I suck at writing letters. I wanted advice on how to write AMAZING letters on these topics. I got the format memorized but I still fell my content is lacking. You can even suggest sites.
    Topics
    • Letter to Editor ( mostly on moral or social issues like women empowerment or something)
    • Complain letter for defective products
    • Placing an order for goods(any) letter
    • Order cancellation letter
    • Inquiry letter ( for anything like course available or house on rent)
    Also do emphasize what’s the info you look for when you’re looking for a house to rent, share your irl experience if you can.

Tips for articles too. Like what to write when you get a really randomized and general topic which you might by only somewhat familiar with.
    TYSM.

2. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    no homework help...?

3. pass1478

pass1478 I'm in Despair!

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think the amount of content is necessary. As long as the letter is understandable, direct to the point, and clearly states its intent, then I think it's a great letter as a whole.

4. IndusEla

IndusEla Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you doing it for Boards? Whatever the case, I don't think NU is the right place to ask. Irony is that I am helping you on NU. Lol
    For advertisements and the like, scan the newspapers and note down some things that you think are good. For letters, it's best to just read the previous years' question paper solutions, they actually do help a lot - like for some letters (eg. Editors), there is a fixed line you must start the introductory paragraph with (it's like this in my case).

As long as your letter is legible with smooth sentences, right grammar and format - no one can stop you from scoring. Don't put pressure on yourself to write out-of-this-world letters. I understand the sentiment, though.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  5. An Anime Addict

An Anime Addict (≧▽≦)/̵͇/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ (▀̿̿Ĺ̯̿▀̿ ̿)

Reading List:
    Link
    12th board exams?

6. Midori

Midori Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As a Singaporean, oh oh, writing letters for exams is so nostalgic---though I think they've changed it to email in recent years---
    I'm gonna give my own advice--- wheee--- also, if you have anything to say to me, give me an @ , 'cause I don't tend to follow threads that I didn't make myself hahaha! I think you should give more info on what your teacher has said regarding the format and stuff, so I can formulate my advice more thoroughly. I'm also not sure about your word limit? The word limit for letters when I was taking it was pretty short! I also don't know how detailed the question for the letter is---

• Letter to Editor ( mostly on moral or social issues like women empowerment or something)
    if you're writing to an editor, I'm assuming that you're an article writer or a reader who's writing in? Because perspective does matter, as it will change the format and how you word things a bit!
    Well either way, in general, as a lead in to the main topic, you could talk about a recent event that made you start thinking about this topic, or maybe a particular experience that so-called 'pushed' you intro writing about this topic. After that paragraph, then you can talk a but about the general perception of society/people regarding this topic. And then afterwards you can start on what you want ot say to the editor regarding the topic.
    • Complain letter for defective product
    Hm--- Shall I just use real life advice for this one? I don't know how you've been taught to write this---? Basically for this kind of thing, you would usually write your full name, order number, when you ordered the item and when you received it. To begin, you could say that you are appreciative that the product arrived on time, and t hen lead on to the problem. Generally we attach pics of the defective product as well(but i dunno if you wanna state that LOL).

Mainly, you'll state what's the matter with the product. You could say stuff like 'item isn't working', 'package is deformed', 'missing parts', that kinda thing. Maybe you'll score points in making it more detailed? hahhaha!

after which, you definitely have to end with saying that you would be appreciative of their assistance and look forward to a reply--- you might want to add ASAP, but i don't know if it's a taaad rude?
    • Placing an order for goods(any) letter
    This usually has a formal tone. I think in this case, it could be either that you're representing yourself or a company. But as usual, state your full name, company you represent, and that you would be appreciative of cooperation in this matter.

Usually in real life, you would include a table of what you want, if it's in bulk. Otherwise, you can just state what you want, and the quantity. Try to give a detailed name. Rather than saying 'phone', you'd say 'Samsung Galaxy A80' or whatever. It implies that you've done research and know exactly what you want. I don't know if this letter is intended to inquire on price? but i'm gonna assume not.

You end in a similar way, saying you would be appreciative of cooperation and timely reply blah blah---
    • Order cancellation letter
    Ok, this one actually usually needs more details. But i'm assuming the cancellation is on your own part. The reason behind your cancellation should or should not be revealed, depending on the situation.
    But this one also takes a formal tone, and you're on the 'weaker' side per se, since you're troubling people to cancel the order, ya know what i mean? But i don't know if the way you've been taught is to be firmer or not---

So for this one, you would be more polite. State your name, order number, what item you ordered. Apologise that you would like to cancel an order, ,and the reason for cancellation...eh, stuff like, 'you no longer need it' is still okay to say, but don't say stuff like 'i've found a better supplier' or something ok! hahaha!

And as usual, end with the 'appreciate your understanding and assistance/cooperation in this matter'.
    • Inquiry letter ( for anything like course available or house on rent)
    This type of letter takes a super polite tone.
    You greet, state your name and your intent. you could also apologise for troubling them, but say 'I'd like to make an inquiry regarding this this this' . You could also state that you would like to make an appointment to meet them to have a thorough discussion. This can be at the beginning or at the end.

So as a lead-in, you'd basically say stuff like, 'i was looking through the website, and I would like to inquire on this matter. I have some questions below, I would appreciate the assistance'

So then the next paragraph would be the questions you have regarding the course. like course fees, course details. Sometimes it might be good to say that 'you have seen the website and they stated the course fee was like this, so you'd like to inquire the breakdown for the course fee, if it's possible' that kind of thing, to show that you DID do your research prior to sending an inquiry.

For house rent, are you writing this letter to an agent or the house owner themselves? There are slight differences.
    But anyway, I've never rented a house, but points you should state are things like, how rent is paid, how many bedrooms, pictures of the house, insurance(?), policy on broken items or problems with the house, if the house is shared with anyone, that kinda thing.

at the end, you'd state that you'd like to make an appointment to see the house, if possible.

yeah, then basically end with the usual 'appreciate your assistance, and look forward to your reply' .

for randomised and general topic--- hmm, that is a hard one. usually i'd recommend following the format, state what you've heard about this topic as a lead in, maybe personal experience or a news article you've read, then state what you'd liek to say about the topic.

Lol ok that's mainly it---i can go into more detail, but i'd have to get more details as well hahaha

Edit: In general, for letters, maybe not so much for the editor one, but for the rest, letters usually test your control of tone as well as your word choices. and this is true for the real world as well.

an easy example would be when you want someone to do something 'ASAP', even if you are a customer, it's very highly preferable that you don't just outright say it. you'd say stuff like 'I would very much appreciate a fast response' or 'Your quick assistance in this matter would be appreciated', that kind of thing--- because remember, there's a person on the other end of the line who is not the company itself, but an employee who also has restrictions.

Lol trust me, i've worked as a customer service representative replying to customer emails KEKE

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020