Discussion English Interjections

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Faaldara, Dec 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Faaldara

Faaldara [Fire Goddess] [Apathy] [Anon2.0's] [Sweets Thief]

Reading List:
    Link
    So I've noticed that occasionally translators will note that "X was already in English" and would like to propose a few questions for a discussion on the topic.

Are these English interjections common?

How should translators react when they find an English interjection?

In what language(s) and novel types are they most common?

Why do you think the author included this in English instead of the original language? (Ex. Literally it may be in English to provide a greater impact and emphasis)

How does this relate to the transfer of language and culture between that country and English speaking countries? (Ex. Use of Japanese/English terms in daily/internet conversation, the use of Chinese characters as tattoos, etc)

I would like to hear the opinions of this diverse community and hope for an interesting and informative debate. :)

2. Milanin

Milanin [Reader] [???] [Freeloader]

Reading List:
    Link
    Common? So-so? Species names, inventions, special moves, such things have the Author's thoughts on how it should be in English written.

3. ultrafunfun

ultrafunfun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    new year and don't what to do?
    There could be names of places,persons,and things in english,maybe because the author wanted it like that(or maybe the publisher/god/supreme entity)
    Here we are reading novels translated from japanese,chinese,korean..are there anything else?
    and maybe the translator is not translating in english,and in another language...like spanish,russian,and any other language beside english...

4. SilverCrow63

SilverCrow63 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Although I'm not too familiar with this topic sometimes Japanese fantasy novels will put the skill name in English maybe because it sounds cooler? In anime like Fairy Tail or One Piece the skill name would be in English for example:
    Ice-Make: Hammer
    Gomu Gomu no Pistol
    I've seen some translators put the skill names in 【 】but I'm not sure how it works in other cases depends on the translator I guess.
    ╮( ̄⊿ ̄)╭

5. GM_Rusaku

GM_Rusaku Neptune-sama's Devoted Follower

Reading List:
    Link
    In most JP novel raws. The skill name is really within 【 】. It will now depends on the translator if they will keep using 【 】 or use [ ]instead, but mostly (like me) we keep the 【 】to be used.

SilverCrow63 likes this.
  6. GM_Rusaku

GM_Rusaku Neptune-sama's Devoted Follower

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, English names is commonly used specially on skillnames in the fantasy genre.

There is a saying that the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. Just like we are facinated on Japanese words, the Japanese are facinated in English words and often use them as skillname just because it sound much cooler, for them at least.

7. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    It's like how the Japanese often use German words (such as in Eva) and English words in their animes and mangas. It just makes them sound dashing and exotic. It's the same with how English stories often use Latin in their movies. One English author I know use Malay in his novel.

Meanwhile the native speakers are facepalming while saying, "Your grammar is wrong."

AliceShiki and Wujigege like this.
  8. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Haha priceless!
    @ OP Although, sometimes an English word is actually slang in the non English speaking countries, so leaving them as is is actually bad

9. lovelyxday

lovelyxday Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I used to TL Tempest of the Stellar War...the author would often use stuff like "OMG," and "GOD!"
    Usually it was in all caps.
    You could reverse translate it, but more people would know the EN phrase. Typically we'd just put the word in all caps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.