Discussion English novels on qidian or syosetu?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by jokertwooh, Apr 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jokertwooh

jokertwooh New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Pretty much the title, what would happen if English novels began appearing on qidian or syosetu?
    Thought this might make an interesting conversation topic, I don't think it mentions anywhere on both sites that content has to be chinese or japanese right? So what would happen I wonder...?

2. Matthew9999

Matthew9999 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    there is an english version of qidian

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  3. moonalice13

moonalice13 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
  4. jokertwooh

jokertwooh New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You mean qidian international? That's just english translations of chinese novels on qidian, I mean if someone made an account and decided to publish english novels on those sites.

5. Cfourify

Cfourify Undercover FBI agent

Reading List:
    Link
    Most of the people that use those site are chinese and japanese and most of them don't speak english

6. jokertwooh

jokertwooh New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Correct but people who know english also used those sites, for example a good part of the NUF community reads raws or etc on those sites. I was just wondering what would happen if english written content suddenly appeared, would it be removed? possibly hated on? One thing for sure it'll prob attract a lot of attention bcz it'll be quite rare lol. Seems interesting to talk about

7. Ged Merrilin

Ged Merrilin Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't see it now, but on Qidian International there used to be a sort bar by original languag, and it included english, so Qidian is almost certainly planning to host original novels on their english site.

8. chamchaworld

chamchaworld Lazy Chibi

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe they will asked to move their novel to wattpad, royalroad, or ao3.

Dildrave likes this.
  9. jokertwooh

jokertwooh New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You sure don't really recall? Plus qidian international is still in beta phase plus not as large as the original site

10. jokertwooh

jokertwooh New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    LOL right? I also thought about that but then again would that actually happen? Neither site says you can't post english content so would it actually be removed? What if it were allowed to stay? The amount of people who used those two sites would be super confused as to what a random english novel is doing admist a sea of CN or JP novels, rofl

11. Deep

Deep NO TITLE

Reading List:
    Link
    First it will flow like ordinary novels if and only if the users know English cause many of them rarely use English
    There will be a flood of English novels on the site as every author would prefer a reputed well known site for publishing
    We can see the Tl going less or not affected at all
    Authors getting famous

12. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    They will be saying stuff like, "Those damned copycats. Don't they have their own culture to mess around with? Why take our ideas?"

BTW, it does mention on syosetu that your stuff must be mostly in Japanese. I've heard they remove a few stories that were written somewhere around 50% in English.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
    chamchaworld likes this.
  13. Johnnycabra

Johnnycabra Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    wouldn't work as you still have to know chinese/japanese to navigate the website. If you say that they could just make an english language navigation swap on the site, then you are looking at something that would cost them money with no real evidence of return on their investment. it's cheaper and more efficient to stick with the language that is standard in the hosting country. that's one of the reasons publishers sell translation rights rather than create a offshore company in foreign soil, it's a cheaper alternative that creates some extra income.

14. jokertwooh

jokertwooh New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    EXACTLY what I thought, it'll appear on those sites then start to gather attention for being the only english novel on those two sites, which would then lead to a possibly popularity boom especially with users on NU once someone finds out as it would be a pretty interesting to suddendly see something so out of the ordinary appear like that.
    After that many other ppl who write english novels(many on nu here) might start to follow suit and suddednly we might see an huge increase in the amount of english novels on both sites, as one it catches attention easily and will gather lot's of attention for being a rare EN novel on those sites plus those two sites have a huge userbase so also lots of potentially readers(or just publicity) lol

15. jokertwooh

jokertwooh New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Right correct, so at first only ppl who know those respective languages would be able to use those sites limiting it to those ppl only who will be able to publish EN content on those sites, but also won't be long until someone creates something like this: http://volarenovels.com/qidian-101-cktalon-etvolare/ to teach ppl how to navigate those sites, and yes possible no investments as the publisher company is overseas and might not actually publish your series but it definelty will garnish a good amount of publicity and if other ppl(nu users mainly lol) learn about the EN novels on those sites, whose to say they won't be interested and go and read them?

Plus also bcz it's published on syosetu or NU technically speaking you could add them to NU's database lol.

Again just speculating for the fun of the conversation, feel free to continue adding in more stuff or arguments.

Oh I also just thought how many ppl are reading this and are now rushing to post their EN novels on those sites, would be interesting if suddenly a bunch EN novels pop up overnight lol,

Or someone actually go test this out and get back to me and everyone else on your results, and tell us if you were brutally slaughtered by the masses and forcefully evicted from the site's premise or whether you ended up becoming a shining star out the mass sea of content and gathered tons of publicity, and possibly who knows paved a way or entire new history for the rest of the potential or aspiring writers out there?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2017
    chamchaworld likes this.
  16. Johnnycabra

Johnnycabra Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah, I see your point. But still, it's a different country with with different memes, culture, language structure and way of speak. I'm a native english speaker from the US whose first language was spanish. I also know some german from highschool and college to get around but i can't properly convey my thoughts in spanish and german as english (especially american english is my default thinking language). It's a really cool idea to have sites that can have many different stories in different languages but sometimes it is really hard for authors to convey their thoughts in other languages. there's also the whole cultural aspect that plays a role. it can probably be a thing in the future if google, bing or some other machine translating software can properly translate between languages correctly (including slang) but for right now, it's more profitable and easier if they stays with the default language. it's sucks though as there might be good novels that we may not know of as they are different languages. like I said, It's not really profitable and you would not get a good english novel as they are not native english speakers and they would not be able to use their language to convey their literature tricks like puns, ect...

Edit: Also, I think RWX from wuxiaworld posted a thing about a friend paying a translation firm in china for translating a few chapters of a novel he was reading. when he showed RWX the translation, the trl did not properly convey the chinese and the english was a little awkward.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  17. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    I really hope they don't. Respect and understanding limitation is worth more than gold. If a site is written entirely in Chinese with not a speck of English anywhere, it would be very rude to suddenly drop a 20 page English stuff in there, let alone a bunch of EN novels. It's the same as kicking down the front door of someone you don't know, while saying something in Swahili and dangling your nipple piercings in a room full of kids and old women.

We won't like it if they suddenly do it here. I hope nobody here does this. I really hope every author here has common sense. Remember, respect. They know we're here, but they respect us enough to not intrude. We shouldn't be the ones to intrude on their home either. Don't pick fights. Nothing good will come out of it.

18. jokertwooh

jokertwooh New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Right, actually I was saying native english speaker from us or europe, etc goes to ---> Qidian or syosetu and publish an EN novel on their site.
    Not jp or chinese users try to post english content themselves on those sites. Basically what this qutoe below by @Ai chan says about us kicking down their doors "while saying something in Swahili and dangling your nipple piercings in a room full of kids and old women."

Correct that is another point to think about and an argument against this, people may consider this rude and intruding, it is true ppl don't like it when ppl from other countries intrude on their turf and etc.

But then again whose to say it might be bad or considered bad? The world is pretty integrated now and there are actually exactly those "type" of ppl you mentioned that are posting foreign language contents on our types of sites, so go figure.

But then again it possibly could also be taken badly, it's a dilemma it might be good might be bad, all sides and points can be considered and taken into effect.

chamchaworld likes this.
  19. chamchaworld

chamchaworld Lazy Chibi

Reading List:
    Link
    One thing that i didn't understand, why someone want to post their english novel in a japanese site (that mostly user is japanese too) while there are lot of english site available for them?

20. Yukkuri Oniisan

Yukkuri Oniisan 『Procrastinator Archwizard Translator and Writer』

Reading List:
    Link
    Because they hope their story get adapted into Light Novel or Anime?
    But let's face it, syosetsu is a platform where people post their story drafts, which if popular enough, picked by publishers and edited into LN.
    Much more easier than random bunch of people visit the publisher office carrying large stack of written story.
    It's not a gaijin territory, except that gaijin could actually write in Japanese (like that Brazillian writer which I forget the name).

chamchaworld likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.