Recommendations Epic Fantasy and Wars with Economics, Domestic Affairs and Politics (Long Post)

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by youseiki, Nov 1, 2017.

1. youseiki

youseiki 『Loves Glasses』

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm looking for a novel like Sevens and Maoyuu Yuusha, where there's a lot of wars, economic struggle and leadership. I'm not a fan of overpowered characters or cheat abilities, but I'm more into strategy and kingdom stories, I love stories in which there's a lot of characters to read/watch with their different perspective, and I love conflicts, as well as real politics. I'm not a history buff, but I love history, so I tend to look for novels which is closer to reality.

So far Sevens is my favorite and it will be the basis of the similar novels I would love to read.
    If you haven't read it yet, read it now... but here's the elements that I want to see:

War and Strategy - as much as possible, I want to read army vs army, not 1 vs army or anything overpowered comes up to destroy a lot of people, that destroys my enjoyment. I prefer wars that makes use of resources, terrain, numbers and quality. As for strategy, I'm not fond of Advance Technology vs Medieval People, or 1 sided fight like the anime "GATE" or "RTW". I liked how Sevens tackled about it...
    One example of the many debated antics of Sevens when it comes to guns:

The Seventh bragged about his own weapon.

『You just don’t get it. It’s no longer the age of sword or bow. From now on, how you succeed in using guns will decide the outcome of war.』

The Fifth ignored that opinion.

『Way too costly, so rejected. Training the wielders alone will take too much time and money. And from there, the guns, and gunpowder, and bullets… substituting for them with bows and magic would be quicker, easier, and more efficient.』
    I prefer practical debate and discussion of advance technologies than seeing reactions of people. Also I'm seeking a story which shows the cruelty of wars such as rape and plunder - “It is a known and universal [rule] of war, amongst the most civilized nations,” he declared in his defense, “that places taken by storm, without any capitulation, are subject to all miseries that the conquerors may choose to inflict.” - Brigadier General William Draper / the british general who conquered Manila...
    Also I would love to see how the MC would struggle to contain rape and plunder of his soldiers, be it Charisma (Legend of the Galactic Heroes) or by Rule (Sevens)
    As much as I love Sevens, the story didn't kill any of the major characters, but still it portrayed how tragic war was, while Legend of the Galactic Heroes showed its tragedy, there were some problems when it comes to cause of death, in essence, i'm looking for story that shows how dangerous war is.

Politics - I love politics, especially in this current world in which populist are taking the seat, I live in PH so I entertain myself by reading the debates of my people (I'm neutral). Some says we were ruled by a Dictator, while others says we were ruled by a Hero.
    ... Into the topic, as much as I love politics, this kind of trope is hard to use, the complexity of this theme is what I'm seeking, for example, Assassination which would not work, but character assassination is, Reforming the conquered land by utilizing better tax would not make people's satisfaction better. It would be better if you have read Sevens or any similar novels (which I will put later) to easily grasp it, since there's a lot of complex discussion, but to make the picture of politics simpler, I'm looking for a novel in which they have goal in mind which is for the betterment of the populace, but there's a lot of things that blocks that goal and a lot of demerits as well.

Economics - No doubt that Spice and Wolf is one of the best novel out there when it comes to economics, I haven't read the novel, but I love the anime, anyway I'm looking for something decent when it comes to it, not totally focused on it like Spice and Wolf, but something that does not ignore economics when war and political themed novel. If you've read Sevens, there's a heavy emphasis when it comes to food supplies, war supplies, monetary funds, expenditures, including craftsman, blacksmith and farmers before and after war. This is hard to explain, so here's an example from Sevens:
    (Debate about how to save starving people before war)
    “That’s why we need to save…”

Lianne spoke disinterestedly.

“Saving the weak before our eyes, will we increase the factors that will cause us to lose a battle we must win at all costs? If you still wish to choose the shortest route, then the logical choice is to propose it after you make a situation where that is possible. If you’re just here to speak ideals, then anyone could do that.”

While Lianne had followed through for her in the meeting, right now she wasn’t even trying to hear out her opinion. Adele spoke.

“We have soldiers from the east as our allies. If we abandon their homes, the root of the problem remains.”

“We never said we would not save them. We’ll help as long as food supplies permit. But what we need to prioritize is victory. Not to choose our means. Our means for victory are that alone.”
    Maoyuu Yuusha is a good example of utilizing the economic advantages and disadvantages of wars. While Sevens showed the consequences of using war as a way to earn money.

Diverse Characteristics - one of the things that I love in epic fantasies are the characters and their different perspective, Nirvana and in Fire and Sevens showed the dark side of the Main Character, I really love how hard it is to actualize their goals that it goes as far as making innocent people suffer, and I like that. But what I'm really looking for is better supporting characters and antagonist. While Sevens did a good job on consistent villains by showing their desire(like rape and plunder, or status and achievements), most of them are fodders, and not worthy to be remembered, although the author did a good job on making Celes disturbing. The supporting character is actually the opposite of the antagonist of Sevens, a lot of them showed their differences, their philosophy as well as their perspective, I love how they discussed about peace, it truly showed their characteristics. All in all Sevens is still far one of the stories that showed a lot of perspective and philosophies of many characters, which is the reason why I love it. Legend of the Galactic Heroes is far better when it comes to portraying perspective of the two sides, but they also don't have redeeming antagonist, since it's a story of Romanticized Philosophy rather than showing the reasons of war. Realistically Speaking, Legend of the Galactic Heroes way of life would not work in reality, but no one can't help being admired in their Charisma and Manliness, and I'm waiting for the remake next year.

Consequential Actions: this is the hardest part of the basic novels that I'm looking. Like from Sevens:

Normally, playing the hero and leaving once everything was over may have been cooler.
    But I couldn’t do that.
    I had my promises.
    And I couldn’t run from the responsibility of all those I had killed.
    I had climbed so high by killing so many.
    There was something called a minimum level of liability.
    Climbing to the top, I saw the seat. The throne. Having walked so far, I turned to take a seat, ending up looking down over all. - Lyle

Damn, I can't even stop smiling and this great feeling after reading this rich words, I love how Lyle didn't put and cheesy ideals like making the world a better place without knowing the consequences he will do, I love how he let people die for the future, and I truly love how he took responsibly to the people he killed, not thinking how righteous he was, but he rather tells himself that he's a grand villain. This is what I'm looking for, not some smug MC's bragging how smart they are without thinking about their actions they want to do, not some greedy bastards who kills without thinking various consequences. Sevens showed how hard it is for a soldier to die, when families loses their husbands or their sons... now I'm looking for something similar like Sevens did.

Similar Stories you might know to use as a basis for recommendation that I'm looking for...

Sevens (on a serious note, why the hell there's no manga adaptation yet?)

Grand Master Strategist
    Ballad in the Dessert
    Song in the Clouds
    To Be A Virtuous Wife
    Mulberry Song
    Nirvana In Fire

Maoyuu Yuusha (Anime/Manga)
    Spice and Wolf (Anime)
    Legend of the Galactic Heroes (Anime/Manga)
    Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere(Anime)
    No Game No Life Vol.6 (Movie)

Akatsuki no Yona (manga)
    Chang Ge Xing (Manhua)
    Kingdom (manga)
    Vinland Saga (manga)
    Rain (Manga) - hated overpowered protagonist, but this one barely passes for my standards
    Legend of the White Kingdom (Manga) same as Rain, with a Harem

I think I'll use this as an opportunity to look for western novels like from RRL which I've never tried before.
    I use Epub, so it would be nice if there's a version of it of what you'll recommend.

TL;DR something realistic kingdom building novel

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    vick2047, Ddraig and 12300 like this.
  2. 12300

12300 [How many sheep can Snorlax count?]

Reading List:
    Link
    ... what? Why did you make such a large wall of text...

3. Noche

Noche New Member

Reading List:
    Link
  4. Khatulistiwa

Khatulistiwa An Egg Eternal

Reading List:
    Link
    Ssooo.... What's the TL;DR ?

5. Noche

Noche New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Too long didnt read

6. youseiki

youseiki 『Loves Glasses』

Reading List:
    Link
    habit
    how unexpected, DD is a war novel???
    the title itself

7. skaviouz

skaviouz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  8. Scholar Occult Cauldron

Scholar Occult Cauldron Bonk Maestro | Ascended

Reading List:
    Link
  9. youseiki

youseiki 『Loves Glasses』

Reading List:
    Link
    thanks, i'll look up on it

10. Geor

Geor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  11. youseiki

youseiki 『Loves Glasses』

Reading List:
    Link
    i've never noticed that novel, is it new here in nu or is it on rrl

12. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    The Annals of the Flame kingdom .
    The novel with the heaviest topic on economy and politics. Realistic approach on its applience and very engaging story.

13. m7vpc

m7vpc Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  14. Gechura

Gechura Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    - . -. -.- -.-- --- ..- -. --- .- .-.. -.. . .-. .- -- .. -. -····- .--. .-. . - - -.-- -- ..- -.-. .... .-- .... .- - -.-- --- ..- .- .-. . .-.. --- --- -.- .. -. --. ..-. --- .-. ·-·-·- .-. .- -.- ..- .. -. -. --- -- --- -. ... .... --- ..- -····- -.. .. - - --- ·-·-·-

15. youseiki

youseiki 『Loves Glasses』

Reading List:
    Link
  16. youseiki

youseiki 『Loves Glasses』

Reading List:
    Link
    hell yeah, quality manga
    I've never noticed this one too
    ( - w -)/ boi

17. Gechura

Gechura Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
  18. Yukkuri Oniisan

Yukkuri Oniisan 『Procrastinator Archwizard Translator and Writer』

Reading List:
    Link
    Genjitsushugi Yuusha no Oukoku Saikenki
    If you can brave the large harem of Lyle. The Souma's relatively small harem wouldn't scare you away.

-····- ??? I don;t think the morse code have this?

zentetsuken and otaku31 like this.
  19. S4TY4

S4TY4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  20. youseiki

youseiki 『Loves Glasses』

Reading List:
    Link
    actually i've read it, it's quite popular along with RTW and Duke's Daughter... thanks anyway

edit: I'm actually fond of harem, like Road to Kingdom and Sevens, but I avoid repetitive plot style which are overly done, but what I truly love is every character gets their own love story, so far Fairytail is doing great on it.

hachinan was already mentioned twice.... i think i'll check the manga again(character design purposes)
    werewolf reincarnation... i think i've seen something similar to it in manga adapted form
    i'll try to look up on AtMT