Recommendations Epic Scale Fantasy Novels

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Vex, Apr 14, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Vex

Vex Eat-Sleep-Repeat

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi!,
    I am looking for some good epic scale Fantasy novels,web novels or light novels.
    Like Game of thrones, Words of Radiance, Wheels of time or the Lord of the Rings!
    Any good recommendations?

2. Casul Reader

Casul Reader Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  3. Frozen ink

Frozen ink Legally had harem『Cathulu』Power of Love & Evil』

Reading List:
    Link
    If your not into just novels here the Warcraft books are pretty epic in proportion...

4. Vex

Vex Eat-Sleep-Repeat

Reading List:
    Link
    Warcarf
    Warcraft books, as in?

5. Frozen ink

Frozen ink Legally had harem『Cathulu』Power of Love & Evil』

Reading List:
    Link
    yep the ones from the campaign from the original games were based of it... it's in the blizzard website...

6. elairz

elairz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Belgariad series
    Mistborn series
    The Stormlight Archive
    Kingkiller Chronicle

7. Kuroguma

Kuroguma [Cyber Lich] [Aspie] [SOX][Forgotten Perv]

Reading List:
    Link
    You should try Malazan book of the fallen series by Steven Erikson, it makes the death count in game of thrones series look like a paper cut.

Arcturus likes this.
  8. AHKoT

AHKoT [FA sect] [2nibyou] [ReverseEpi] [Htrap]

Reading List:
    Link
    What do you mean by epic scale?

9. Vex

Vex Eat-Sleep-Repeat

Reading List:
    Link
    Read all..waiting for Stormlights and kingkillers 3 book...

True...read the first few chaps, and the deaths along with multiple PoVs...was too much...
    Will read again later....maybe..

Epic scale?
    You can basically call novels epic scale, when they are epic in nature, like spread over a large area with multiple things happening at once,multiple PoVs, and whatnot...
    Like GoT, is spread over multiple kingdoms, has multiple continuous sub plots along with major plots, several wars going together and God knows how many PoVs..

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2016
    chloroform likes this.
  10. OverlyFriendly

OverlyFriendly I should do something about

Reading List:
    Link
  11. dustmite

dustmite On a roll

Reading List:
    Link
    Magician and the whole Riftwar saga by Raymond E Feist. It's got magic, kingdoms, portals between worlds and war. Can't get better than that.
    Wizard of Earthsea and the rest of the series by Ursula Le Guin for oldschool magic coming of age story. There's even an anime movie adaptation from ghibli, but that was a flop. Was probably top of fantasy magic school/adventure genre before HP came along.
    Eragon's another classic, though people say it's a rip off of LOTR. Well, it's got dragons and magic so it's still good.

Oh and Terry Pratchett novels for fourth wall breaking and heaps of fun and philosophical questions.

12. Vex

Vex Eat-Sleep-Repeat

Reading List:
    Link
    Done with the Riftwar saga..all books including Chaoswar,Demon war...
    Eragon was awesome...
    No idea about Wizard Of Earthsea...few ppl recommended but said it was old school and bit childish?amateurish? Something like that...
    Will check over it soon..
    Thanks

13. dustmite

dustmite On a roll

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah I mean it was written in the mid 20th century... The first book and third book of the series were better ones in my opinion. The other 2 books in it were a bit of a grind.

14. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    The Black Company is the best Military Fantasy that's been written (pretty epic too).

Malazan is the fantasy series most deserving of the word epic that's been written. The plot, the world-building, the characters, everything. One of the greatest modern fantasies.

The First Law and related standalones is the best dark fantasy out there. The dark humor is fantastic as well. Say one thing about Joe Abercrombie, say he's a damn good writer. ;)

The Wars of Light and Shadow is a quality lesser-known epic-length series as well. If you have other criteria you like in your fantasy, I would be able to give a better recommendation.

15. AHKoT

AHKoT [FA sect] [2nibyou] [ReverseEpi] [Htrap]

Reading List:
    Link
    Umm... so basically a long one ?

16. rpgbscout

rpgbscout I don't only read mature novels

Reading List:
    Link
    http://www.novelupdates.com/series/altina-the-sword-princess/
    MC is a military advisor to a princess at the start of continental war. Starts at a boarder fort and expands from there.
    http://www.novelupdates.com/series/sevens/
    Former noble MC with the help of the spirits of his ancestors needs to stop his younger sister from conquering the world. The story centers on the MC's party as their sphere of influence grows to include several nations.
    http://www.novelupdates.com/series/ze-tian-ji/
    A boy from the country comes to the capital city. The actions of this boy start a chain reaction that involves all the nations (human and non-human) of this world.
    http://krytykal.org/daybreak/
    A young military officer summons a human familiar to be his partner right before the world is sent into a spiral of war.
    http://www.novelupdates.com/series/so-what-if-its-an-rpg-world/
    Less serious than the other novels listed. MC finds himself involved with the behind the scenes actions of nobles, the cold war between the West and the East, nations trying to start a world war, and the future possible invasions from heaven and hell. But the MC is your man to solve the problem (and/or pick up another loli for his harem in the process).

17. rdawv

rdawv The Ancient of Lore

Reading List:
    Link
    Guin Saga, but it's been licensed and good luck ever finishing the story (the author has passed away) and official translation publication is so slow. There is an anime adaptation but it only covered a few volumes.

I really enjoyed the story and the anime is ok-ish (one of the early examples of not very good anime CG). Loved the OST.

18. Vex

Vex Eat-Sleep-Repeat

Reading List:
    Link
    Abercrombie is da king...his world building and plots along with the characters are damn intense.
    Malazan, I don't know why..I never managed to complete the first book...black company is great but a bit lacking...
    There this red knight..and it's pretty good...
    Along with that ryria revelations is also damn good..
    But one of the best is Lies of Locke Lamora..awesome subtle humour and storyline...

Wow I spoke too much..lol..

Thanks!

Not important..but most of the time they are pretty long...like GoT covers 6-7 novels of 1000+ pages each...Wheels of time is 14 books of 1500+ pages..but at the same time Kingkiller chronicles barely reaches 600-700 pages....
    So it depends...mostly it's multiple plots and a humongous story line...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2016
    chloroform likes this.
  19. Sosseres

Sosseres Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    http://www.librarything.com/tag/epic+fantasy

Many of the series recommended are the ones most people tagged as epic fantasy. Sanderson's writings are good. Mistborn, Elantris, Stormlight Archve etc.
    Stephen King has written The Dark Tower. Not personally read it but heard a lot of good things about it.
    (Just realised I had read all but one of the 56 most tagged ones...)

20. Vex

Vex Eat-Sleep-Repeat

Reading List:
    Link
    Never managed to get my hands on dark tower...lol...heard it's one of his best work ever...will try soon.Thanks!
    Elantrus and mistborn are also great.Basically Sanderson's all series are epic...
    Thanks once again!