Discussion Er Gen’s latest work

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by ZXu2002, Oct 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZXu2002

ZXu2002 I am a idiot

Reading List:
    Link
    so I was scrolling through some random pages on novel updates when I decided to check Er Gen’s novels, and saw that he has a new one. The first thing that shocked me was the yaoi tag, which for some reason just felt completely out of character for the author. Second, the drastically lower rating and bad reviews towards it than any of his other works, even AWE. I haven’t read it yet, but can someone tell me, did the quality of the story just drop or something?

I saw someone saying this new novel and AWE had similar writing styles and jokes, but is there other reasons why is seems so hated? (I.e sudden drop in quality, etc?)

2. Mr.Bush

Mr.Bush 《First President》《Time traveller》《Hidden Pervert 》

Reading List:
    Link
    The story A World Worth Protecting is as great as any other story written by Er Gen.
    Maybe the rating droped due to it being hosted on webnovel.

3. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    Eh, take Novelupdate's ratings with a pinch of salt. :blobsalt: The fact that ISSTH has high ratings than Renegade Immortal should tell you how "trustworthy" it is. :cookie:

4. Omniscient Viper

Omniscient Viper [Evil MC Enthusiast] [Park Jimin Biased]

Reading List:
    Link
    I haven't even touched the book yet, but I think I saw someone say that the Mc's were pretty similar or something along those lines. I guess it probably just looks like a reskin of AWE maybe? But my opinion doesn't matter cause I got bored of Er Gen's novels after ISSTH. So I haven't read AWE or AWWP

Gin_Hindew, Max and Astaroth like this.
  5. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe it's just some troll that changed the tags? None of the reviews mention anything about yaoi, all they're talking about is constant fat jokes (about the MC, who is apparently fat).

Although I haven't read it, since I already saw those reviews long ago (plus I'm not really much of a fan of Er Gen ever since late ISSTH & AWE), I don't remember seeing that yaoi tag before...

If it's not a troll then I guess it's something recent from the raws and someone who has read ahead of the translation added it or something...

strayCat0 likes this.
  6. anhrefn

anhrefn [NTR Sect Leader]       [True Ancestor]

Reading List:
    Link
    pinch of salt.? ISSTH is way better than trashy RI

7. palaraya

palaraya Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    From my last minutes survey, the novel with Yaoi tag/genre has better ratings (many 5*) than other tag/genre. So maybe some people add yaoi tag to raise the ratings.

Westeller likes this.
  8. mm38910

mm38910 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    First of all, the tone of AWWP is comedic, similar to AWE, the lead character is a fatty. It is on webnovel, and it is safe to say Er Gen may not be as popular in webnovel. Look at Pott's ratings, the best Er Gen book in my opinion. The translator Deathblade was also a factor in AWE's popularity.
    Though some of my friends have advised me, after reading from the raws, that Er Gen has bigger plans for AWWP.

As for the yaoi tag, it is better to hear from AWWP's editor

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    Nepuko and Astaroth like this.
  9. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    Have you actually finished reading both novels? ISSTH was generic trash. The protagonist was a cheat who fought enemies with much higher cultivation level and still crushed them like insects. If someone told me ISSTH was not written by Er Gen, I would believe him.

Bright_Lucky_Star and Sparteh like this.
  10. Haevrus

Haevrus No.1 Incognito Webuser

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on taste, dude. I liked RI better then ISSTH.

Nepuko and Sparteh like this.
  11. CosmicInsomniac

CosmicInsomniac Well-Known Cultist

Reading List:
    Link
    It's on Webnovel? Didn't AWE get a somewhat rushed ending because his contract with Qidian was ending soon or something? I heard that was the case, but I will admit I haven't finished AWE so if there was an authors note somewhere explaining it I didn't see it

Astaroth likes this.
  12. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    Gotta get that exposure because of money amirite?

13. Gin_Hindew

Gin_Hindew Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Im not surprised about some yaoi considering the high amount of butt rape on his works

Bright_Lucky_Star and Westeller like this.
  14. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe if the protagonist was Lord Fifth...

Good to know, so at least it's not some troll changing tags for fun

15. Sparteh

Sparteh The Devourer

Reading List:
    Link
    The fact that AWE has the highest rating of them all while being the worst one so far further proves it.

While I wouldn't call ISSTH generic trash because it is much better than standard generic trash (compared to some generic novels its a masterpiece), however it really was a drop in quality. As someone who have completed all 4 of his novels I would say that RI was great, PoT was a masterpiece, ISSTH was the place where it went wrong and AWE was the real trash.

I don't think I need to explain RI. Most people haven't even read PoT or were deceived by the first arc. Basically, PoT is like RI, but shorter, more emotional, darker and with much more actual plot. Meanwhile ISSTH is where Er Gen started to drop what made his novels great, for example, dao comprehension aspect, completely messed up power scaling and ISSTH most memorable arcs were more or less copy paste of arcs from RI and PoT. Not to mention turning the tradition of unique MC into standard cliche stuff.
    And then came AWE...aka maxing out everything that made ISSTH bad and cliche. MC dumber than standard CN antagonists, luck and plot armor put on cheat mode, constant repetition of the same jokes which were no longer funny after 2nd or 3rd time. Furthermore, everything else got even more messed up. Power scaling, finding endgame stuff at the very first training spot, 0 interesting plot, abilities basically nerfed copy paste from his other novels. Practically complete removal of incorporation of ones life to their cultivation (like domains of RI, 4 seasons of PoT etc.) aka one of the most unique and key features of Er Gen's novels...

And to make matters worse, Er Gen is trying to turn it into a shared universe which basically is the same as dragging his truly good works into deeper pit. Honestly, he should have stopped after PoT.

16. Ancient_Devil

Ancient_Devil Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Have you read Renegade immortal

17. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    man this thread bumped again
    i dont know why the editor says there yaoi elements honesty

i have read the raws and more or less caught up and there are no yaoi moments

there are however very...strong bonds of male friendship but it doesn't make me feel creeped out like omniscient reader does

and i'm still fairly certain that omniscient reader is a closet BL/yaoi novel or that it will turn BL sooner or later

the bromance between the 2 ML are just...abnormal....

18. Clyne

Clyne Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    AWWP is really good

i don't know why Spoiler for AWWP is really hard to find,the wiki also not up to date

ISSTH awesome, AWE awesome, but this AWWP has a different taste for me, i still reading chapter 270++ right now, MC just reached Foundation Establisment and Er Gen already made Wang Lin there in the novel.

still have funny moments like ISSTH and AWE

i still waiting for Er Gen to make me crying again, just like certain arc in ISSTH and AWE

I'm still waiting for RI to finished translated, so i can read it all the way until the end

I think RI is the longest novel made by Er Gen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.