Discussion Ethics&morals in gm

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Zeusomega, May 20, 2020.

?

Do you support genetic modification?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Zeusomega

Zeusomega M.D of Olympus Pvt Ltd. Seeking [Boltzmann brain]

Reading List:
    Link
    If you have a choice to genetically enhance your upcoming kid(fetus), would you?. it's for boys too, (No, not like that, it's a couples choice rt?).

Personally I would, first I would make sure it isn't a testing, and check on cases that worked.

I don't really get that "it will steal the child's freedom of choice". I mean if he/she can think faster and are physically strong will that make them have less opportunities?.

I mean is there like a types for different jobs ?. Don't all jobs need brain and muscle?(yep even desk jobs need stamina rt?).

What are your thoughts, is there other draw backs ?(pls not that there won't be any unique, it's enhancing physical qualities, what his/her character will be left to life to decide).

reagents 11 and Sami11 like this.
  2. Sami11

Sami11 [Level 99 Duck]

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm pretty sure you mean morals not ethics.
    As for the question itself, no I would not. That is not my decision to make.

3. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Won't be passing down my genes, hence no need to tamper with them. :blobpeek:

Loislalion and Zeusomega like this.
  4. ExcitableFoci

ExcitableFoci Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Making a kid more intelligent than he should won't make him happier in life.

https://www.researchgate.net/public...cology_of_Intelligence_and_Suicide_in_Austria
    https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20150413-the-downsides-of-being-clever
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ss-iq-study-findings-depression-a8005801.html

https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2005/03/20/child-prodigy-bored-commits-suicide-at-14/

There are tons of smart people than would rather be normal.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  5. Recouer

Recouer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    in a competitive world, having a genetic advantage would be advised.
    they could also reproach you for not making sure you start life with every tools you can provide them with.
    and i don't believe not making choice for your child early on is a bad idea. otherwise, most of the time they will never find something they find enjoyable and become lost when they are to make a choice. but if they do find a craft, not supporting them would be counter productive.

Aquaa and Zeusomega like this.
  6. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    If the doctor detected a genetic predisposition to certain diseases, then like any sane parent I would ask them to fix it. But I would not customize my child, and I suspect anyone who would will become a narcissistic parent.

7. Recouer

Reading List:
    Link
    that's just a correlation, being smart does not imply you will necessarily lead a sad life.
    maybe sad people tend to be more prone on self reflecting thus increasing their IQ scores, but smart people are not necessarily sad.

8. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    That is nonsense. Your first sentence admits they are correlated. Fullstop. Anecdotal evidence is not a refutal of proper statistics.

9. ExcitableFoci

Reading List:
    Link
    upload_2020-5-20_22-25-49.jpeg

10. Recouer

Reading List:
    Link
    or self depreciating your own child, i mean it would only be a given that he over performs in school since he was born with the smarts. and with that knowledge, it may lead to your child putting some pressure on themselves to meet those expectations.
    i don't think this possibility would actually make people more narcississt than what they already are, just it would show on their choices and how they act upon them.

11. Recouer

Reading List:
    Link
    i never said it was a refutal of any sort in fact my axiom implied what he said to be true.

12. Recouer

Reading List:
    Link
    that wasn't meant to be a very smart answer (given i spent more time writing than thinking) don't be jugemental ok :blobowoevil:

ExcitableFoci likes this.
  13. Zeusomega

Reading List:
    Link
    Well that article proves they are no more different than normal people in success or happiness. So what's the loss if high IQ becomes a norm and no more 'high'?.

14. Recouer

Reading List:
    Link
    what i said was that having the smarts genes, call them whatever you like, does not necessarily mean you will be necessarily overperforming in smarts tests. and that environmental conditions plays an important part into your respective scores.

15. ExcitableFoci

Reading List:
    Link
    ????

I do not understand. What article are you talking about?

@Zeusomega

Intelligent people are several times more prone to suicide, depression and other types of problems.
    As for your question, high suicide rates would become normal. Lower happiness rates would become the norm. Nothing more, nothing less.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  16. Zeusomega

Reading List:
    Link
    Making your child enhanced is being narcissistic?, Please explain this to me, maybe an example?.

17. Zeusomega

Reading List:
    Link
    :facepalm: high IQ isn't a success cheat nor does it increase your EQ. The article intended to show how exaggerated the IQ rumors were.

I'm not saying it will make the child more successful, but he/she won't have to worry about not having the right tools.

18. Recouer

Reading List:
    Link
    maybe that's because they tend to be alone in their early years and often times misunderstood.
    being smarter as a whole may reduce this tendency as you'd socialize more since people would be at your level.
    also did i forget to mention that being smart is highly linked to social and environmental conditions, just as much as genetics ?

19. Zeusomega

Reading List:
    Link
    Woah, so I only read BBC one. Even then, being more prone to suicide does not mean we should be stupid rt?, it just shows how they over think and have more volatile State of mind. This is subjected to again how the child can be raised. If he/she is innately capable of academics, he/she can be more developed on others in the free time.

20. ExcitableFoci

Reading List:
    Link
    Suicidal tendencies don't depend on just feeling lonely...

Anyways, it would fall into speculation. Neither of us have enough credentials in that field to give accurate answers to your suggestion.