Discussion Ever feel like (a lot of) NU users' ratings aren't matching their reviews?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Astaroth, Jun 10, 2016.

1. strixflash

strixflash Dao Seeker!

Reading List:
    Link
    Why people give 5 star rating when they find the novel bad? Like Against the Gods, PMG, MGA, etc.

Maybe because it is guilty pleasure?

Astaroth likes this.
  2. heavenlytribulation

heavenlytribulation [One Feared by All]

Reading List:
    Link
    I ignore the reviews since everyone has their own preferences

3. ElTorroLoco

ElTorroLoco [Christmas spiritbun][Left Hand of Sordahon]

Reading List:
    Link
    I personally dont have anything against those 3 novels they aint good but bad they arent either they are like you sayd just guilty pleasure and to be honest he does some stupid shit but if I was him I would also probaly do that 2.....

4. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    For the most part I don't outright skip novels based on reviews, mostly I use it to decide which order I read the novels.

Anyway, I thought to supplement with some of my own reviews as examples, and maybe someone else also feel like they've got something similar. (I don't suggest taking someone else's review without asking though)
    http://www.novelupdates.com/series/ancient-strengthening-technique/#comment-9694

I didn't even say a word about it, besides that it's basically the same generic stuff. (So you'd think maybe a 3 or 4, right?) NOPE 5/5 because adult women! xd

http://www.novelupdates.com/series/...in-another-world/comment-page-2/#comment-3115

Oh, something that isn't xianxia? That's new! "The title would be funny if it was made by a Japanese Author lol xd" Oh maybe something interesting will happen in the future? 5/5!

http://www.novelupdates.com/series/the-legendary-masters-wife/#comment-3111

Without the BL / Yaoi this novel would be nothing special, but everyone else hates this tag... 5/5!

asriu likes this.
  5. Greedyspree

Greedyspree 『Exile within the back room』

Reading List:
    Link
    Because the bar on the side showed the highest number at 5/5, they were afraid that there thoughts wouldnt be agreed on, so they went with the crowd.

Astaroth likes this.
  6. lichdeath

lichdeath undead meatbun ^^

Reading List:
    Link
    i read reviews on steam helps me know wether the game is pay to win or not and if there a re a lot of bugs and stuff

Astaroth likes this.
  7. ElTorroLoco

ElTorroLoco [Christmas spiritbun][Left Hand of Sordahon]

Reading List:
    Link
    If I want a game I would rather watch a gameplay or a review of it.

8. RR Vocaloid

RR Vocaloid RoyalRoad.com Slepragt

Reading List:
    Link
    Uhh, that doesn't work and we're sorta getting rid of it in a future update... Most people end up just rating 5 or 0.5 regardless of how a story is in a category. And there's also confusion about what story concepts fall under which category and how a category is defined.

ElTorroLoco and Astaroth like this.
  9. phenom007

phenom007 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    he gets beauties????

Man he has three girls in his harem till chapter 2400+

10. k1nk4

k1nk4 Sage Verdurous Sea Turtle

Reading List:
    Link
    everyone has novels they like and they dislike.

Martial World, True Martial World and Zhanxian, all of it is "classical xianxia" (mc is praised non-stop, badass and has a unfair cheat) but for some unknowed reason I like it.
    PMG, CCM, BE are not that diferent, but I cant swallow it.

there are a lot of novel like that, some you will like those novel, some will dislike it, some will dislike what you like, you will dislike what some like.

11. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i'd switch to the rotten tomatoes system

You can Like / Dislike, then the system displays a percentage of each based on the total reviews, Toss in a third score that checks the ratio of likes to dislikes and you've got a pretty good measure of how divisive the work is.

Astaroth likes this.
  12. sesostris III

sesostris III Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I haven't seen those kinds of cases yet... but I usually don't pay any attention to the reviews... I only pay attention to them when I'm about to quit reading a novel, to see if someone has dropped it before for the same reasons I was going to...

13. jackateonetoo

jackateonetoo Wet Dog

Reading List:
    Link
    People often have trouble being objective .Also, a review and a rating system are different things. It's easier to say things that are wrong with a novel than to list it's good points

Astaroth likes this.
  14. mllhild

mllhild Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    People tend to make the reviews quite on the fly, without this much time to cool down and rethink what they actually read.
    So they might be happy about something new to read or because they actually enjoyed it, therefore giving 5/5 stars and then they remember some flaws and write them down. Since most people forgot how to write more than 140 characters in one post they end up like this.

Also there is the case when all reviews are split like 5/5 or 1/5. There you can see that the novels is targeting only one specific group of readers and all other find it distasteful.

Astaroth likes this.
  15. sal880612m

sal880612m As I thought, love was a status effect! ~ICDS

Reading List:
    Link
    The score is a representation of how much I like the novel, the review is where I point out things like other similar stories, really good points, and bad points. Even when I recommend things I tend to try and keep in mind and mention the negative things I remember about the story or things I think the person in question will take issue with. Same principle applies to reviews. It might be better to focus on the good things in terms of promoting the story but that isn't my intention when I write one. My goal is to help whoever reads the review decide whether or not to read the story ... and for that mentioning the things they might not like is far more effective than listing the things they may.

Also it kills the hype and that's a good thing. Most of the time the enjoyment a person gets out of a book/movie/game/webnovel is proportionate with how excited they are going into it. Thus subdued and even slightly negative reviews will have a better effect in the long run because they go in knowing the faults and get to discover all the things that were well done.

Astaroth likes this.
  16. Bananana

Bananana Barbaric Bob by day, bananana-man by night

Reading List:
    Link
    If a story grabs my interest is atleast a 3 imo. and the stuff i don't enjoy i dont rate i just stop reading

17. DarkArts

DarkArts ✫ First Ancestor of the Assassin Sect ✫

Reading List:
    Link
    Perspective of 'good' and 'bad' is subjective...
    People could say something along these lines:
    and think those are good points... thus rating it 5.
    Though, that probably doesn't happen too often.