Discussion Ever wondered why CN authors turn patriotic when they get popular?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by frenzy85, Sep 18, 2019.

1. frenzy85

frenzy85 Not Well-Known Yet

Reading List:
    Link
    So, I saw a post about the China vs. Hong Kong/Taiwan situation on Reddit. Apparently some Chinese players are posting negative reviews on Warframe because they list Hong Kong and Taiwan on their list of countries, which is how they separate players for matchmaking.

A comment mentioned that these reviewers are trying to get their Social Credit up.

Googled it. Lo and behold.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Credit_System

The Social Credit System (Chinese: 社会信用体系; pinyin: shèhuì xìnyòng tǐxì) is a national reputation system being developed by the Chinese government.[1][2][3] By 2020, it is intended to standardise the assessment of citizens' and businesses' economic and social reputation, or 'Social Credit'.[4][5][6][7][8]

The system will be one unified system and there will be a single system-wide social credit score for each citizen and business.[9] By 2018, some restrictions had been placed on citizens, whom state-owned media described as the first step toward creating a national social credit system.[10][11][12][7][13][14]

The system is considered a form of mass surveillance which uses big data analysis technology.[15] The government of modern China has also maintained systems of paper records on individuals and households such as the dàng'àn (档案) and hùkǒu (户口) systems which officials might refer to, but did not provide the same degree and rapidity of feedback and consequences for Chinese citizens as the integrated electronic system because of the much greater difficulty of aggregating paper records for rapid, robust analysis.

So if you've ever wondered why the patriotism creeps into CN stories where it's sometimes not there in the beginning... wonder no more.

KIJIN and ludagad like this.
  2. An Anime Addict

An Anime Addict (≧▽≦)/̵͇/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ (▀̿̿Ĺ̯̿▀̿ ̿)

Reading List:
    Link
    What the hell!?!? I didn't think that this type of bullshit would be behind all of these patriotic things that these chinese authors write. Ah these type of things push me away from all chinese novels which have modern day tag on it

KIJIN likes this.
  3. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Pretty sure the social credit thing was a joke. I mean, it's a real thing, or will be, but it doesn't seem like something they can reasonably raise by posting a patriotic steam review, lol. ...

Anyway, the review bombings are actually because a volunteer CN translator for Warframe was sacked for poorly explained reasons. A translator that was popular among the CN playerbase. A translator who was vocally outspoken about the exceptionally poor quality of the translations he was fixing as a volunteer. In his words, the official translations come off as MTL.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Warframe/comments/d4169y/the_steam_review_bombing_and_the_simplified/

mir, Blitz, ongoingwhy and 2 others like this.
  4. Walter vi Britannia

Walter vi Britannia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ahh, communism...it's getting worse by the day.

5. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds like the developers of Warframe should have just hired the guy, but they were just too greedy to pay someone who was already working for free. :cookie:

It doesn't matter how well he did his "job". Once he did it for free, the developers of Warframe took him for granted.

Westeller likes this.
  6. frenzy85

frenzy85 Not Well-Known Yet

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure their government doesn't care about randoms posting steam reviews. But it did get me thinking on whether they pressure authors to write a certain way, since their stories are read by far more people than steam reviews.

Suspicions were always abound, but this just brought it back to my mind, personally.

This was the post I was talking about (different issue than the post you linked):
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Warframe/comments/d5f52t/i_dont_know_if_you_guys_know_about_this_yet_i/

edit: on second thought, I think you meant this review shown in this reddit post is a joke...?

I didn't know about the TL issue, and just checked to see if Warframe really got review bombed... which made me think that the one review was a mass-thing, not an outlier case. My bad on this part.

Though I'm still hesitant to dismiss it as mere rumors, considering the coverage it is getting even now. It also seems to be in line with their tendencies for media manipulation. For example, their attempts at reframing the protests in Hong Kong, and such things as the 50-cent army.

Westeller likes this.
  7. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How does copyright for Chinese novels in China work in regards to Chinese communism?

8. userunfriendly

userunfriendly A Wild Userunfriendly Appears!

Reading List:
    Link
    Except Communism is pretty much dead...the PRC uses a form of Oligarchy.

Like real Democracy. The “Free” world uses Representative REPUBLICANISM, where in THEORY the electorate elects the executives. Representative Democracy is an contradiction. Does not exist.:p

Democracy is one vote, one person. And each voter votes on Policy. Republicanism elects the representatives who vote on policy. o_O

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    Walter vi Britannia and Wujigege like this.
  9. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    I've been reading lots of zombie apocalypse novels, mostly BL. And at some point, the Japanese will get mentioned and most likely introduced as the arc villains. Lol, it's unavoidable in every single novel I've read. I'd reach like chapter 200 and think this one will be the exception, and lo and behold, some people from the base disappear, the Japanese refugees have stabbed their flag on Chinese land and claimed it, and now MC's gang gotta go fight them and save their people. And I'm like, "Here we go again, get that Censor happy, sis." Since they're writing BL, which is already frowned upon, the authors are even more careful with sprinkling patriotism, adoration of the army, praises of the Communist regime and Mao Tse Tung, hate on the Japanese, disdain for the American... Same old, same old. I don't even see it as racism or anything anymore, just as signs of oppression and censorship. Most of the times, I wonder how much the authors truly believe what they write. My country is an ex-commie country, and during the regime, plenty of authors could only write certain type of novels, full of praise for communism, the leadership, patriotism and so on. Some authors were forced (by the Censor) to scrap parts of their novels, rewrite other parts, and add in characters and parts especially to praise communism and villainize capitalism, lol. It's a circus show. And now I see it in current times and I can only sympathize. At least they have more interesting novel concepts and it's not just drama and depression.

Bright_Lucky_Star and Wujigege like this.
  10. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Usually, they start by locking one or a few chapters, which forces the authors to go back, edit the chapter and repost it. If you've read that novel about the guy who transmigrates to an alternative universe where none of the original songs, novels, manga and so on exist, so he uses a system to recreate them and get famous...Before it started getting more 'racist' it used to get retconned a lot. That's their usual M.O. :hmm:

11. Walter vi Britannia

Walter vi Britannia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No, I'm talking about the social credit system thingy OP talked about.