Question Everyone else is a returnee latest chap?

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by OmegaDion, Jan 22, 2017.

1. OmegaDion

OmegaDion [Ω The End Ω] [Forum Reporter]

Reading List:
    Link
    So kobatochan is testing their anti theft system. Anyone can help me read the chapter? I don't have a pc. I only have my iPad right now. I tried Safari, Firefox, and Chrome. And it was for naught

2. BayuHyob

BayuHyob Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can read it with android using chrome

3. naghi32

naghi32 The Loner

Reading List:
    Link
    Disable javascript :)

4. palaraya

palaraya Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Opera Mini with extreme mode off

5. Alvastar

Alvastar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As long as you don't activate reader-view you should be able to read it with Firefox, or Safari on mobile as well.

6. replay

replay ★Milk and Honey smelling Merchant★

Reading List:
    Link
    . . . many guys are bitter to this. . .
    and i don't get it. . . .it's not like spending 3hrs to tweak stuffs just to read it. . .

7. L-a-w

L-a-w Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ok just tbh it still won't the theft i can still copy the chapter just with few button clicks so idk what is the point ..it's just pissing me & others off reading the chapter ...

8. Nukus

Nukus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not sure why they bother. At most it'll mean that thief sites are a bit behind the actual translators. Reasoning: It just came out today and numerous people have already found workarounds. What we'll see happen is something like this:
    1. Thief site grabs copy.
    2. Their readers complain that its unreadable and they look into the issue within a few days.
    3. Thief site realizes that it's an antitheft system from the comments.
    4. They notify their web developers (maybe a contractor if they have problems).
    5. Developer(s) find a workaround in a few hours.
    6. In anticipation of future issues, they set a notification to have the developer take a look at each additional chapter and break any changes in the antitheft system typically within a day or two if not hours.
    7. Meanwhile back at Kobotochan, they are losing readers with every release because it's not possible for them to read the chapters as they want. Mostly from reader mode on mobile browsers.
    Note: This isnt giving any ideas to the thieves, any halfway competent developer shoild be able to come up with #6 even if it takes a few script changes to make it clear that it's needed.

Result: Antitheft system is broken within an a day of a new chapter release and many readers read the chaps on the theives site because they are able to read it the way the want. I'm not sure it's worth the trouble. There is a reason why it's not recommended (to say it nicely) for the typical developer to roll out their own encryption systems (or antitheft in this case) as they basically never prove to be robust enough for the purpose they are built. Even if every translator used a differently tweaked version of the same system, it just means that the thieves will need to use say an automated browser to take screenshots of the good text and then use OCR to extract the text (also mentioned in the comments). Fact of the matter is that if the users can read it, one way one another the thieves can too and automate the process of exteacting the text, unless ypu make the text as barely readable to the human eye as captchas.

I also use reader mode as the text is too small to read easily. Ability to change background color and text size would go a long ways to making the change acceptable (basically the site needa it's own 'reader mode', but theres still people who will have problems such as those who want to read the novels as PDFs (not an issue to me as long as they arent distributing those PDFs and they still go to the translators site to get the text, patreon may work for that if its made clear fhat its possible). For now, I'm just holding off on reading new chapters, until they either add a reader mode or remove the antitheft.

- From a freelance web app developer.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017