Family problem

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Ursula, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Ursula

Ursula Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi everyone . This is the first thread for me here so I want to apologise for any mistakes in my English.
    I'm from Egypt . Just ended my 3y of highschool and had 92.3% as a grade .
    My family had a pig hope for me to at least get a 96% . imagine the shock end the disappointment
    Even though I tried very hard to get that mark thay wanted but that what i got . Now they treat me as i didn't study enough for it even though I'm the person who got tired not them and didn't realize my or mother's dream of attending a medical college . I just don't have any idea of what to do
    Sorry to bother you but I hope for any advice

Bad Storm, honglath and Tramsloof like this.
  2. IMM

IMM 『X.O.X.O』

Reading List:
    Link
    All I can say is that you're not living life for them. it is for you, most parents tend to forget that sometimes. I hope they realize that, and is a 96 needed for medical school 0_0?

Bad Storm, Ursula and SugarImmortal like this.
  3. SugarImmortal

SugarImmortal Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    92% is really good. They're in the wrong for having extravagant hopes and putting excessive pressure on you.

You should feel proud, knowing you did better than a vast amount of people. Don't let their bullshit get you down mate. Don't define yourself based on other people's expectations.

You are you. The important question is, are YOU happy with your results? Do you feel you did your best?

If you do, then just be happy for yourself. If not, then work harder, not for them, but for yourself.

Really hate it when I hear some kid who tries his best gets shit from his family. Family are supposed to support you no matter what, not hold you back and put you down.

Cheer up mate

4. Teadragon

Teadragon Book Wyrm

Reading List:
    Link
    Not sure about your country, but in my country med school means you first went to a normal college as a ‘pre-med’ major. Only after you complete your pre-med can you apply for med school.

So my suggestion (if you truly wish to be a doctor), is to consider options outside of whatever limited system requires you to get a 96%.

If however, you felt any relief at not getting the 96%, then treat this as a chance to find out what YOU really want to do!

mir and Ursula like this.
  5. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    You can try again next year getting into medical school isn't a thing you try for one time and done some people here in the states try 4-5 times. If this is your first trying then go give it another shot. If you give up this quickly then that's how far you are going to go.

6. Ursula

Ursula Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Medical school this year takes from 98.3

7. Ursula

Ursula Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's one time try here

8. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
    unless you got a real dream for medicine, think of other area such as engeneering or economy, if medecine is really important choose a ompletary course such as dentary and try switching every year to medecine, and as most of the first course are similar you will have equivalence
    alternative, try study abroad

Ursula likes this.
  9. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Talk to a family doctor about fault issues

10. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    If medicine is what you truly want to study I suggest you move to another country where you can study it without such limitations.

Bad Storm and Ursula like this.
  11. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Imo,

Don't give a fvck about grades, but you should really understand about the topic in hand. I had friends who were excellent in biology, they never outperform someone who was passionate about helping others by studying in time for others need.

In any case, you should look up on the history of handwashing. The popular science can get the theory wrong too sometimes, being a doctor do not mean to treat your patient with the given knowledge in school.

As for your parent, just tell them the grade is a fact now. Whatever dream they had about you was unrealistic, now you just have to live your life to the fullest.

Ursula likes this.
  12. OceanMagix

OceanMagix Catnapping periodically. Existence is oblivious

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, to me, results don’t mean everything. After all, there’s a bunch of people out there that have the certification yet it’s doubtful of their technical skills. So if it exsist, would it be possible for you to take another path to learn and climb up this ladder. Like maybe from a technical school or something?

13. Tramsloof

Tramsloof Quarter Erudite

Reading List:
    Link
    This has happened to me in a way, but I was guilty of inviting the trouble on myself.

I remember, it was my O level exams at the time. And as soon as I gave them, I uttered with such confidence 'A*'s won't be an issue'. (My exams were rushed too, I cleared my olevels in a year)

But what greeted me were straight A's with the exception of B in accounting.

Now, with the expectation I had previously built, my result was pretty disappointing. Even to myself. I remember calling my father to tell him about the result, and just hanging up the phone. No one blamed me really, but no one was happy either.

To tell you the truth, I had really, truly worked hard. And whatever happened with the result and all, made me a lot more easy going and chill.

So preparing for A levels, I didn't study at all. Just attended lectures for an hour at best in a day and went out partying and making friends.

Turns out, this time I scored two A*'s and one A. And everyone acknowledged my hard work.

So what I learned from all of this is, result matters. People don't know how hard you work, after all they can witness all your effort, especially when it's mostly mental. So they can only judge it by the results you get, and you shouldn't blame people for this, it's nature.

I mean, as an example, if you go to buy something you don't know much about, for example plumbing tools, you will judge the quality of tools based on their price. Because you don't know about plumbing tools, you can only judge on price. It's nature.

I would like to say to you that this isn't the end. Someone told me once,

'If it goes your way, that's good.

But if it doesn't go the way you planned it to be, that's even better.

Because that would be God's plan for you'

Don't beat yourself up for something you can't change. And you already know your result isn't half bad. So this is the time to really buckle up and make a resolution for future, take it as a challenge and strive for excellence.

Bad Storm, mir and Ursula like this.
  14. OceanMagix

OceanMagix Catnapping periodically. Existence is oblivious

Reading List:
    Link
    Is it possible for you to speak to your parents about how you feel? Like perhaps have a conversation with them withholding their judgement as everyone speaks?

15. fteg123

fteg123 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Finding your dream is difficult. Don't give up. You'll find a path.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
    Ursula likes this.
  16. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    To get into medschool, your grades are important. Idk about your place, but in mine, 92 is not exactly good enough. However, you can try multiple times.
    Now, here comes the part about you. Not your family. Your family has the DUTY to feel that you havent done good enough, if both you and they have agreed upon a future of medicine. However, if it is a onesided dream, then it is just needless pressure where they are unable to admire the jewel that they have, simply because they have a cat's eye on their mind.
    So, is medschool what you really want to go to? If yes, get back to studies. If not, then close NU and start talking to your family.

In my experience, I had to get 97% to get to a place, that I was content with. It was not what I wanted, but what I could make do with. Naturally, my family wanted me to try again, but I was done with all the exams. I may or may not come to regret the decision, but I will full well well to live with that on myself.
    Realize that, perhaps, your position with your family isnt necessarily bad, but more about not good.
    Are you both even on the same page?

17. Tramsloof

Tramsloof Quarter Erudite

Reading List:
    Link
    Exactly, and a little something to add,

Even the best of us stumble from time to time. Some of us think nothing of it, and some assume it to be the end of the world. Both types are in wrong. We must learn from our shortcomings and strive to improve, for nothing's final. I mean, if everything goes according to the plan, that's all good. If it doesn't, it's all the better. Because they become life stories, which you remember.

Bad Storm, mir and Ursula like this.
  18. Ursula

Ursula Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for all of your support and help :blobsmilehappyeyes:
    I will try another school apart from mid :cookie: and I'll work hard

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
    Bad Storm and fteg123 like this.
  19. WinByDying

WinByDying I can count to four

Reading List:
    Link
    This is something I am (painfully) experiencing right now. You have to build your life yourself. Having a railroaded life is easy in a sense, even if you've got to work hard to stay on the tracks. But when you fall off the tracks, or when you realize you're on the wrong train, what are you going to do? Losing all direction feels real fucking shit. Or you desensitize and start not feeling anything at all ...

Ideally, you find a path that suits you, one you can continue on for a long time. Is there some field you want to study in? Is there some kind of job, whatever it may be, practical or academic, that you can see yourself doing now and in the future?

This is something a lot of people struggle with. Do you have hobbies that can in a way become your job? Is there some interesting subject you can still study in? Maybe you have to consider comfy well-being the future as well. Is there some job (that pays decently) you can do or get educated for that you at least like a little bit? Something that might help as well is to get out in the world more, connect with people, talk with friends or acquaintances about the future.

Bad Storm, reagents 11 and Ursula like this.
  20. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    Start looking your prospect into your immediate present. Including scholarship or internship. Get independent ASAP get yourself your own place (rent, dorm etc) and just make necessary contact until they grow up a bit regarding your situation. Looking too much forward and became anxious of them is a common tripping in your age.
    Pick yourself up and see what you can do immediately then just follow through. They're actually irrelevant for what you can do or can't do.