Discussion Fanfics and who writes them

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Raphael, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Raphael

Raphael Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So. Lately I've taken to reading a lot of fanfictions out of sheer boredom. I still have a couple of novels I follow but mostly I've finished or dropped a lot of the things I was on before so I had to go to fanfics. Anyways I've been reading a lot of fanfictions mostly OC* oriented stories, self-inserts** that kinda thing and while looking for new ones to read I've noticed that a great deal (massive emphasis on this) of fanfics are both heavy on romance and a great majority are female OC's. This made me think, is it that like a thing? Are girls writing more fanfics than guys? I don't know why I find that strange but I do anyone else has any opinion on this or thoughts to share? I'll be more than happy to read opinions on this topic from others.

*OC- means original character for those who aren't aware.
    **Self-insert- when an original character is introduced into an already existing story, could also be when outside people take over the body of an already existing character.

Totally random edit but, the eagles in lord of the rings are really kinda like the freaking deus ex huh.

2. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    *cough* dorks *cough* , but in all fairness, i think it's usually beginning writers that still need a bit of a crutch to use for the creative aspects so things will mesh well together. Most new writers tend to just add random stuff until the story makes no sense anymore and they drop it to either rewrite or jump on the next idea.

Also, often they ship characters but it never gets delivered so they'll try to insert that into their story. The more unlikely the ship the more it'll happen in fanfics, aka BL.

3. Ner0

Ner0 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, to me fanfiction was always something done by beginner writers or those who are not fully invested in becoming an author. Using writing as a hobby of sort.
    Apart from that, don't really know how fanfiction can help an author improve after his first 2 books.

4. Raphael

Reading List:
    Link
    Euggh yeah a lot of snape/draco/harry sausage touching in the H.P fanfics, that an a lot of new girl authors self inserts into the marauders age to ship with Sirius. Still you can find a good fic here or there, I mostly only look for those with over 100k words written before I commit to reading it.

5. foxyprince

foxyprince Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If we take a look at the average and not including extremely famous writers, then I'll say that the ladies are more adept in writing than males. The only reason that a huge chunk of popular writers specially the classics are males is because of sexism, but if they were given the chance in the earlier times... I'm pretty sure some of the great classics we are reading today is a creation of a female author. So the chances of some of them writing a fanfic is much higher than the male group, also most of them use it as a practice. Besides even if males are good in writing or somewhat they'll rather do something physically or anything else. I'm a dude... and I don't see myself writing a fanfic so patiently. Unless the guy's profession is writing itself then I'm pretty sure he'll write it, and yeah ladies tend to make a lot of bl and stuff and add crazy things in their story to satisfy their female fandom fans. Don't drop a kill on sight on me ladies... I love you people.

6. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    The best fan-fics insert new characters that go around avoiding the primary story and try not to involve themselves with the main cast. If they do it typically ends up very chuuni, like 'adopted son of kakashi' and then starts dating 'sakura' and being best buds with Naruto which kind of makes me feel like you're competing with the original (not to mention they never get the personalities completely right), which never ends well. If you're going to write in an existing universe, make sure it's like an add-on or at least unique in some aspects.

Best fan-fic i've read was 'the games we play' or something, since i didn't even know it was a fan-fic or what they were emulating to begin with. something with RWGBY or whatever, i still can't recall it. Kind of like The Gamer but in a magical world.

7. Raphael

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds interesting, and yeah I agree it's rarely pretty when people insert characters into stories and try to take over the main character seat. I prefer when you put a new character into an already existing world but have him go his separate ways from the "Story" of that world.

8. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    'True king of the pirates' on webnovel seems to be good so far. Hes even mentioned he has no need for One Piece as he himself will be strong enough to dominate everyone.(also stays out of Luffy's way, so he'll still end up with it i guess) Crew of 4 so far, only 1 known from main series and never really actively participated.

9. Yamatohime

Yamatohime Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I started to write my own Alice in Ruined Lands... Out of boredom, lack of Alice Margatroid fanfics and because I was asked to write some craziness. It went not all that great because of number one reason.
    Self-insert fics are basically "I want to live there... And not as random mook". They kind of bad in many cases. OC on other hand likes to explore different angles of canon more frequently or outright use only setting.

10. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Self-inserts in fanfictions are generally horrendous, though. You always have this character that seems to know everything and everyone and can predict what will happen in the future based on the author's knowledge of the stories they make their fanfictions on. Like that Stargate fanfiction where a marine saved Colonel Sheppard in Iraq and single-handedly destroying an entire Wraith Hiveship by tossing in an incendiary grenade.

However, Ai-chan must admit that some speculative Harry Potter fanfictions before Rowling managed to complete her story was pretty good. They took liberties based on their limited understanding of HP world (since the books weren't completed yet) and what came out was pretty good.

11. userunfriendly

userunfriendly A Wild Userunfriendly Appears!

Reading List:
    Link
    I've written a bit of comedy...

Guilty of some songfic...check under FF for House version of "Once More With Feeling!"

:blobtongue:

12. HappyHavak

HappyHavak The Laughing Sage

Reading List:
    Link
    I enjoy Overlord fanfics that are about players getting transported hundreds of years before Nazarick.

13. AkunDami

AkunDami Neu membar

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on the fandom. Dxd, fsn, touhou, or lot of ecchi, hentai had a lot of male writer.
    About male SI-OC though... boy, it was wether dense, harem JP MC or super edgy kill—hated—character MC.