Recommendations Fanfics

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Woaron, Sep 5, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Woaron

Woaron Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I always wanted to write a fanfic, So any tips how to start a fanfic like.

1. Describes the surrounding
    2. the OC thoughts and feelings
    3. is there a better way to practice before writing a real fanfic
    4. Lacks of Vocabulary Words

MiraculousEagle likes this.
  2. tirirism

tirirism He who dealt it

Reading List:
    Link
    The main thing you will need is music being blasted in a volume high enough to cause your head to explode.

SayMrrp likes this.
  3. Nepagear

Nepagear Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    atleast make the female leads have brains, sometimes doubt/question the mc's behavior in certain times, not like a dog who doesn't even question "why did he do this or that", proper character building, world building, have the mobs and villains make proper judgements

Ha-Ha likes this.
  4. Nepagear

Nepagear Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    btw also make the romance only as sub plot, if it's fanfic and it's a dangerous world like marvel universe, it's better if the characters focuses more on building power before romance

5. Cosmic_

Cosmic_ [Novel Addict] [Lazy Writer] [Meh Editor]

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm confused. What are you looking for? Are you asking for advice in writing a fic or are you asking for recommendations/reference material? I think you're in the wrong thread section. I recommend heading to Author Discussion or go to ScribbleHub's Discussions and Writing Tips.

1. When describing surroundings, describe only what is needed. You can describe the surroundings to set the scene or tone, but don't go overboard especially when a sentence or two is enough.
    2. Characters should have motivations and reasons for their actions. Motivations don't need to be a big thing with a bunch of backstories. They just need to drive a character's action enough that the character isn't doing something solely because the plot needs them to.
    3. The best way to practice writing is to just write. Write a lot and get into a habit of writing. Beyond that, read a lot, make sure to edit and proofread (though set a fixed number of times you'll go over something), touch up on your grammar, transcribe the works of other authors, learn to outline and plan, keep a journal or text doc your ideas, etc.
    4. So long as you can convey your thoughts clearly, an extensive vocabulary is not necessary. It could help to expand your vocabulary just so you have more tools for conveying things clearly, however, I suggest polishing your writing style, syntax, and prose. Those are things readers notice more and having dynamic writing draws in readers even when the story is average.
    5. Show, don't tell. It's the most basic writing advice, but many don't always follow it. There are times to tell and times where showing can bring a lot more to a story.
    6. Have a second or secondary focus of the story. Most stories aren't just one thing. For example, a romance might also include some drama or action. A story might have good comedy, but it could also have fun character interactions and a growing mystery.
    7. Have conflict. Conflict exists in many forms and a story should also have some sort of conflict even if very minor so that things are constantly moving or ready to move.

What type of story are you interested in writing? Anything planned out already? When it comes to fanfics, the best thing to do is to pick a setting you like and are familiar with and just roll with it.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
    MiraculousEagle, Ha-Ha and LadyBlue like this.
  6. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    Write what you want to write. Write what inspires you. The best way to practice is to write.

7. Chico_Xavier

Chico_Xavier Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've never write a fanfiction before but I do have some advices.

1. Learn about the fandom of your fanfic even if you write something that diverge from canon or an AU. Usually, there is a wiki for each fandom.

2. Learn from other writers. You can learn a lot of thing about things like how to develop a characters, create worldbuilding, etc. from reading other people works. There are also a lot of people giving advices on how to write in youtube. (I recommend you to watch Terrible Writing Advice or Hello Future Me channel on youtube. They give great advices on writing.)

3. The best practice is writing. It's fine even if your fanfics are bad. You can always learn from your mistakes and improve from there. Don't forget to write down your ideas.

4. If you lack vocabulary, you can always search in a dictionary. If your grammar is not great, you can ask for corrections and criticism from the readers.

5. After you finish writing a draft, you should read them. See if there are typos or things that sounds bad when you hear them. It's what I always do when trying to find grammatical mistake.

6. Improvement is better than perfection. If you try to make your fanfic perfect, you will never get anything done. No matter how great a writer you are there are always people who don't like your writing. Like what I said in point 3, you can always improve your writing.

That's all from me. If you decide to write a fanfic, good luck.

MiraculousEagle, LadyBlue and Cosmic_ like this.
  8. SayMrrp

SayMrrp 抱抱爆爆宝宝

Reading List:
    Link
    Shouldn't this be in the Author Discussions forum on NUF?

Cosmic_ likes this.
  9. Darkcrow.

Darkcrow. Foul Tarnished

Reading List:
    Link
  10. ishaan

ishaan I Eat Potatoes

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Keep it Somewhat factually accurate
    2. Treat it as your original work
    3. Don't try to follow the author's writing style
    4. Don't be influenced by the characters that the author developed

MiraculousEagle likes this.
  11. MiraculousEagle

MiraculousEagle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    dont give them any future knowledge please it just drags the story down

12. Woaron

Woaron Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The only thing i plan is an OC

13. Woaron

Woaron Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What?

14. SayMrrp

SayMrrp 抱抱爆爆宝宝

Reading List:
    Link
    From the Forum page, a description of the Author Discussions' forum: "Author queries, plot discussions or writing improvement tips. Not for story feedback."

The "I'm Looking for..." forum is used to "search for a novel or ask recommendation" according to the Forum Rules.

If you go to the right forum, you might get better feedback.