Discussion Fanservice Paradox Escape room arc

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by AneeChan, May 16, 2021.

1. AneeChan

AneeChan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What do ya'll think of that arc? Personally that particular arc exhausted me to point that I shed tears. (NOT KIDDING)

I actually cried because of how tired I was...

I just finished it and took a helluva lot of brain damage and now my mood is completely ruined. It's as if somebody forcefully sat me through an utterly greek lecture that lasted for over 8 friggin hours out of which I understood no shit.

Why read then? Why not skim?
    Cuz it's not in my habit to skim over anything the author wrotes coz I find it personally disrespectful to them but this time around, the intellectual/mystery side of things lasted a bit too much with a lack of comedic/fluff relief. Was it really necessary to make a variety show that depicts their character stabilization SO HARD? I mean my brain physically hurts, Ive got a severe headache and hate myself for putting me through this. I totally sound like an annoyed brat but seriously I can't help it.
    I'm irritated to a point where I'm demotivated to even continue the story. Should I continue? And what's your experience about the entire escape room ordeal?

2. sunnyio

sunnyio Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean personally I did find it a bit taxing, but then again, if I read romance I usually do it for fluff since I'm not a big romance fan.

To be honest, I don't think it was that bad. I think it was quite interesting and if I was less prone to distraction (which I can't say is the novel's fault - I tend to be lacking in focus skills, so unless I'm genuinely and seriously reading something with utmost attention, my mind does usually wander), I might be praising it a bit more.

Kudos to you for not skimming, though. I hate to admit it but I do it sometimes, and I do feel guilty about it.

Honestly I will have to disagree with you. Despite being a little complicated, I don't think it was that difficult to read through. Maybe you just weren't in the mood for that type of arc. Though if I'm gonna be real here, I myself should probably re-read it since I browsed through that arc lmao (I went to that novel looking for simple fluff and wasn't expecting that).

Please keep reading. It's a sweet novel and I'd say it's worth it. It's probably among the better ones I've read with regards to BL. If it was a bit too heavy for you then maybe take a break and switch to a dog-blood, tooth-rot novel for now and come back to it later.

Happy reading!

3. AneeChan

Reading List:
    Link
    Omiiigawwdd Thank you for replying!! But yh despite the hellish time I was subjected to in the escape room:blobfearful::notlikeblob: more than the characters I just couldn't give up on the story because the OTP is everything :cookie:I looked for in a chinese BL novel.

It has its flaws though; Because I stand by my case of the Escape arc getting unnecessarily intricate and deliberate for contrived reasons (No disrespect for ur opinion tho, totally understandable why you would disagree with meblobmelt_thumbs). I think the arc ran for over 10 chapters? (Not sure but felt longer smh) and this a webnovel...how in the world somebody could retain all that barrage of information all at once let alone one day after another when it was ongoing is genuinely shocking. The author affirmed that it was the for the characters' stabilization/growth but honestly all I saw after the whole ordeal was the mutual and tacit, almost psychic understanding between Pei TingSong and Fang Juexia which we've been pretty much fed with for the last 40 chapters or so again. If there was an actual development/turning point in their character or flow of the story in the arc I totally wouldn't mind going through all that. Nobody wants that kind of brain-damaging (I'm sorry I really was damaged:blob_teary:) scheme when there's no Mystery/thriller tag in the Blurb/review section. It's misleading :cry::notworthy:
    Again this is my opinion and wanted to simply clarify my thought process and I absolutely accept your POV. I'm sorry if I cane across as offensive:sushi_sorry: because that wasn't my intention.
    Either way Thank you for replying!:aww: I thought nobody would and was just about to give up hope when you jumped in and saved my day! :blobmelt::blobbunny: Arigatou

4. sunnyio

sunnyio Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh no, you didn't offend me at all, haha. I totally get where you're coming from - after all, that arc was a lot to take in.

I mean they probably didn't add in a mystery/thriller tag cause it was just an arc and not the main theme of the story, but yeah I guess a heads-up of the arc type would have been a bit nice. Although I do agree that maybe the author should have added some sort of development during that arc because it was a lot to read as something that was just there to further express what you said the author called "characters' stabilitation/growth".

I mean if I'm going to be honest I don't really remember all that much from that arc lmao so I shouldn't be talking about it being "not that bad," but I wouldn't go so far as to say it was brain-damaging. Although that's just my perspective and you're completely entitled to your own :)

And np! Actually your thread saved my day because I was practically lazing around instead of working, so when I had the opportunity to use my brain to come up with a response (however ridiculous that sounds) I actually felt a bit more motivated to be productive.

5. AneeChan

Reading List:
    Link
    Awwieee Really??? :blob_blush: *blush* I-it's not like you're the only one who benefited from this whole thing... *blush intensifies* Anyways I'll definitely drop by to comment on all my thoughts/interpretations regarding the novel in the next few hours/days because I'm still reading it:blob_pout: If you don't mind that is...:blobmelt:

6. sunnyio

sunnyio Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Haha, of course I don't mind. It's a pleasure to talking to you:blobsmilehappy:

7. AneeChan

Reading List:
    Link
    So um, shameful ik but I decided to take your advice and switch to some fluff... do you have any recommendations? (Without brainless mcs that is):cookie::blobalert:

8. sunnyio

sunnyio Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    hmm fluff..maybe fake slackers? or assistant architect (i haven't read this one so i cant really vouch for it lmao). or..
    damn i really just forgot every single bl novel i've ever read.
    okay holy shit why does every bl novel have some sort of tragic backstory thing?? why is that even a stereotype, man. sometimes people just like to read stuff that's happy without cliche conflicts (don't get me wrong, though. i like reading about trauma/mental illness if portrayed well - which it's usually not, haha)
    anyway gotta include some trauma stuff cause i cant think of pure fluff atm
    - fake slackers
    - green plum island
    - my underachieving seatmate doesn't need any comforting (this one has trauma that's actually a bit heavier than usual though)
    - do you remember my name? (uh cant remember if mc is oblivious or not - i really hope he isnt lol i hate those too)
    i feel ashamed, man. ive read so many and i still can't think of any rn. my brain is probably fried cause of work. ill lyk if i think of any

9. AneeChan

Reading List:
    Link
    • Awieeee Thank you!! And ikr? Why trauma all the damn time??!! It's not like 99% of the world has undergone some kind of life changing epiphany/suffering:blobdizzy: and are diagnosed with a painful mental condition:blobdead: (I mean there are people but you get the gist:blob_pout:) for us to relate to the characters. And that's why I've decided (I'm an aspiring writer btw) if I ever write a story (preferably BL) It's just going to he about a regular potato whose biggest concerns are the increasing Kilos and decreasing IQ:blobmelt::cookie: Anyways if you want regular characters with no tragic backstory I'd recommend "Semantic Error" It's here on NU and one of my all time favs with hella interesting characters who are just dumbass college students petty enough to draw graffiti on each others faces:blobjoy::blobbunny: Also the memory thing, fear not. I'm even worse cuz I occasionally forget that the door is actually called door. :)sweating_profusely: Sad ik)

10. sunnyio

sunnyio Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    wow, a writer? that's pretty cool! if you ever do publish/post something i'll be sure to read it! if there's no tragic, life-changing backstory, then im pretty much up for it.
    also yeah i've heard of semantic error. i read the manhwa for it on mangago a while ago and i knew there was a novel but i just kept putting it off cause procrastination (even for novels :sweating_profusely:).
    oh btw the door thing - totally relatable, lmao. sometimes our brain just switch off. short-term memory is unfortunately a prominent characteristic of mine :blobpensive: but oh well
    lmk if you have any good bl recs and i'll do the same

11. AneeChan

Reading List:
    Link
    At your service Sir:blob_coffee::aww:

sunnyio likes this.
  12. luoxinle

luoxinle Book Club Founder

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree that that arc wasn't well written. The author clearly wanted to create suspense, leading the readers to wonder what's happening next, but instead just created confusion. I think it's a really challenging scene to write that would have benefited from some workshopping.

Alternatively, rather than trying to create suspense, the author could have given the reader a bird's eye view and let us enjoy knowing more than the characters know.

Or, we could have kept with one of the characters and known everything they know. That would have maintained some suspense, while still making for a coherent plot.

If you're looking for fluff:
    Agreement of Being Gay for 30 Days
    Your Memes Are Better Looking Than You (tragic backstory, but 99% fluff)
    Green Plum Island (some negative backstory, but not really tragic)
    Reborn With An Old Enemy On The Day of Our Marriage
    New Times, New Hell

13. mYboiS

mYboiS Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Omg Assistant Architect is so sweet! Such a great novel! One of my favorites! It's a long novel, but it's so worth it!! I'm rereading it again!