Question Favorite Relative Power Level of MC?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by DontLookDown, Jun 17, 2018.

?

Which of these best describes your preferred MC's power level?

1. The strategist, moral support, etc.

7 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. One of many with the same power level

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. The guild/group's leader or backup plan

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  4. Top Tier fighter, wipes most people

7 vote(s)
    33.3%
  5. Guild? What Guild? I am the guild

11 vote(s)
    52.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DontLookDown

DontLookDown One with the bed

Reading List:
    Link
    Alright, so I've been wondering. I see a lot of novels with different MC power levels relative to everyone else, but they pretty much fit in 5 categories. I'm not referring to some Xianxias where the MC is always trying to surpass someone. It basically boils down to 5, so I wanted to see the general consensus on people's preferred power level.
    1. Weaker than others, e.g. Release that Witch, Re: Zero
    These are characters which are weaker than pretty much every other leading character and to a certain extent every single other character. They're the MC, though, so they excel in something, like smarts or determination.
    2. Equal power level to others
    Honestly can't think of any examples right now, but I know this is a thing. The MC usually exceeds in that they fight better or they outsmart the enemies in some way. Often disadvantaged up against geniuses.
    3. Stronger than average e.g. Rebirth of the Thief, One Piece, Crossing to the Future, It's not Easy to be a Man, Death Flag
    Stronger than average doesn't just mean for the enemies, it also means that they're the strongest in their respective team. They might be the backup in case things go wrong or in many cases the guild leader. In a basic RPG situation, they're the Hero supported by the Mage, Thief, etc.
    4. Fighting Champion e.g Reincarnation of the Strongest Sword God, My Wife is a Beautiful CEO, King of the Battlefield
    If they meet an enemy, they wipe him. They can take on 10, 100, and even 1000 people, given the right circumstances. 1v1 fights against other people are mostly effortless. Their enemy is often dangers from within (poison, self-restraints, etc., etc.) or some evil plot by an even stronger entity. Note that I didn't put Rebirth of the Thief here. That's because although Nie Yan is a "top tier" player, he probably can't fight 100 or 200 elite players at the same time and come out on top.
    5. On a different level entirely, e.g. Shura's Wrath, Emperor's Dominion, Main Character Hides his Strength
    These are the truly Overpowered characters. The ones that make others question whether they are even playing the same game anymore, or if they are even human. They've surpassed the bounds of what should be possible, and it is often through some sort of their own, pure, effort. For minor characters, fighting these guys is instant death.

I realize that a lot of characters don't fit rigidly into these 5. I mean, the MC for The Tutuorial is Too Hard goes straight from weaker than average to a guild's backup plan to the point where he's pretty much comparable to gods. You get the point though. Most non-cultivation novels have an MC that fits one of these, and even a lot of cultivation ones do, like Linley from Coiling Dragon effectively being a "stronger than average" fighter. But I digress.

Apologies for the veritable wall of text. Just wanted to be clear on each level

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  2. hasukoi

hasukoi Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The level of strength often differs from genre to genre for me, for VRMMORPG novels, i like stronger than average. Having a character so powerful that they destroy the balance of the world is kind of bad design on the developers of the game.

Kingdom building novels i enjoy weak protagonists, so that way the focus is entirely on smarts and knowledge like Release That Witch. What is the point of building a kingdom if you are a one man army?

Cultivation novels, i think should be on a different level entirely. In a world where people can fly and crush mountains with a single fist, you can't really be special and become immortal through normal actions.

TiggerBane, fuzor100 and m7vpc like this.
  3. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    I preferred MC that used his brain to overcome things, not the 1) cause I need them to be in the dangerous situation but used their brain to planned steps ahead and secure a win. Big plus if this MC has no bottom line. ( Praise Fang Yuan for his awesomeness. )

4. Yamatohime

Yamatohime Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I prefer a completely overpowering character with a COMMON sense of our world. Adel/Mile from ISMMAA currently one of my most preferred character. She lives her life and enjoy normal joys of life. At least she tries.

5. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    Common sense is a pretty subjective term, for example, On the battlefield, people from Nation A would try to kill anyone from Nation B even if they are good people of Nation B. But no one would try to kill a person in the time of peace.

6. Yamatohime

Yamatohime Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's what I actually mean. The common sense based on situation. The majority of MCs stick with one and do not change it which make them cardboard characters.

7. Raizhee

Raizhee bubblegum bitch

Reading List:
    Link
    I like the power level of smashing through everything and everyone.

basically ED poll option.

8. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not one 9000 reference yet? Shameful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.