Feeling empty after finishing reading all Er Gen's novels

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Tratuk, Feb 17, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Try starting yet another novel? I mean, there are thousands of better novels out there anyways... >.>

2. Night Ghost

Night Ghost Well-Known Ghost Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Go read cuttlefish's novels. His novels are awesome, and his Lord of the Mysteries is on the hype right now.

Ergen is overrated imo, his novels are not even that good compared to cuttlefish's. But well each to their own I suppose

3. mm38910

mm38910 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Joy of Life's translation is completed, but at QI/Webnovel. As for him criticizing Er Gen, he's free to. Everyone has his own opinions
    Oh Please! I have been reading CN stuff for about 3 years now, and I'd still call Er Gen's early works, RI and Pott, some of the best in the Xianxia genre, and decent overall too. And before you go on about experience, I've read all that you recommend, bar My House of Horrors, which I'll get to eventually when I'm not busy.

4. Ner0

Ner0 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not about his opinion or his perception of Er Gen's works that bothers me.
    It's that he thinks he's allowed to criticise someone who devoted himself to his work for years.
    It doesn't matter if you don't like his novel, it doesn't give you the right to talk badly about the author's skills. How many stories did you write to criticise his writing skill?
    He's a shallow person for belittling the author hard work and even more for calling all the readers who had a different opinion and liked his stories as "newbies" as if they were inferior to him.
    We all have different expectations and taste, one novel we dislike may be read by millions of readers and a book we love may be dropped by billions of people around the world. It doesn't give you the right to belittle others, especially when someone worked hard on writing stories every day.

"Er Gen is a platinum author on Qidian who used his love for classical chinese myths as a foundation on which to build his webnovels. He has become a pillar of the xianxia genre, and his flagship novel, Renegade Immortal, placed within the top ranks of Qidian’s monthly recommendation charts for many months.

He is also a committee member of the ninth national China Writer’s Association.

Er Gen is known for writing serious stories that consistently emphasize morality.

His works include Renegade Immortal, Against Heaven, Beseech the Devil, I Shall Seal the Heavens, and A Will Eternal.

His unique writing style and upstanding character have captivated countless readers and garnered huge followings for his novels.

Renegade Immortal’s unique plot stood out from the masses of xianxia novels and brought him to fame."

note: I don't personally like Er Gen's style, I only enjoyed I Shall Seal The Heavens, but I respect him as an author.

5. bored nobody

bored nobody Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You are saying not to criticize a chef if food is bad. The thing is even if I don't know how to make food, but I still have eaten enough to know what tastes good and what not. It is my taste buds that will decide for me, not you, not others and not that restaurant where he is working. Are you stupid! Your whole argument is flawed by taking authors work as superb because he is professional author and has a so called platinum rank....

I'm still saying he is mediocre at best. And in my honest opinion issth, awe, ri are too overrated.......

Critism is most important element in any field that makes people better at that field.

I'm critising author because I had high expectations. Isn't this a right of every reader?

You are a fan and i have no problem that you defend your beloved author but you are critising me back... Are you some righteous fighter? Anyway I wish you all the best for your future reading..

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    Deleted member 89812 likes this.
  6. bored nobody

bored nobody Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Everyone has different tastes and that newbie statement is offensive, but still i consider ri, issth, pot too overrated. And er gen is mediocre at best..... There are a number of reasons for it..
    If you want to read something with good writing style, interesting side characters and intriguing antagonists then please check out Joy of life, nightfall, ZTJ etc

Check out RMJI and Great dao commander, most realistic xianxia that I have ever read.
    RMJI is more oriented towards adventures while GDC is about adventures and sect politics.

It's not like I haven't read issth, pot, ri and awe. And tbh at the start I also thought that they were really good but as I read more my perception changed.

Anyway, only thing he excels at is writing about Dao but please check out Grasping Evil for that..

Anyway this is my personal opinion and sorry for that newbie thing...

7. Ner0

Ner0 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Alright, I also apologise for calling you a shallow person.
    One last time, what you see with your eyes may not be what others see. It's not about having a high expectation.
    Er Gen is famous in China, he is respected there and based on his stories we can assume that his target audience is the Chinese public. Some foreign readers may like it, but if you don't, you really can't blame him since his stories were written for his Chinese audience. And it seems to have worked.
    He may be an average author for you but for many, he's much more than that. Who's right and wrong, well, we all have different views on that, isn't that what being a human is all about? :)

Many times, I've seen people leave 1 star reviews on some popular novels. Openly criticising the author and his story as worthless just because they didn't like it.
    I think it's sad, because even if you don't like it, many people may not have the same view.
    There should be rational criteria for judging a novel (never its author!) and definitely not emotional reasoning such as disappointment or failure to bring the expected product. (yeah a reader bringing with him his expectation when starting a novel destroy the pleasure he has while reading it since it tends to be high expectation and anything below that is boring, while they only get a little bit of satisfaction from a novel that reached their demands.)

8. mm38910

mm38910 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, it is all about opinions. And, to add, some my picks for a fav, which I don't have, would be one of Mao Ni's novels, the ones you mentioned. I've read all of his translated works, I like RMJI too, though I agree that it may seem boring to many. As for Er Gen, I'm not an admirer of his later comedic works, they have become more mainstream, but from Er Gen's point, understandably, it is all about business.

9. ZeroBlink

ZeroBlink Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is normal , go watch Solo Leveling Mahwa i'll loosen you up.
    The other way to avoid the emptiness is not to get excited too much. Control your feelings young padawan.

Read "Swallowed Star" , it's pretty good.

10. Sparteh

Sparteh The Devourer

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, I feel the same. I really enjoyed RI and POT cultivation systems. Compared to standard spear, sword, lightning and fire practically gaming style cultivation, they felt fresh. Not to mention that other aspects were interesting as well.
    You could try:
    Carefree Path of Dreams, Mystical Journey, Grasping Evil, Legend of Great Saint - if you are looking for more unique or similar to Er Gen's works power systems, though, you would need to read MTL for the last one. From what I have seen Grasping Evil has decent translation release speed, but it will take years for it to catch up. First 2 should be ether completely translated or somewhere close to it.
    Zhu Xian, Kingdom's Bloodline - these 2 kinda gave me the same feeling as POT when I read them.

zorigt_ankhbayar likes this.
  11. Diametric

Diametric Waifu Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    This is literally the ad hominem fallacy.

Arguments stand alone and should be treated as such. They are not tied to the person who made them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.