Recommendations Fiancée cancels engagement - Xianxia Trope

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by GunSeraph, May 4, 2018.

?

How important is the Engagement to the overall story to you?

1. It should be a major focus of the MC's long term goal!

4 vote(s)
    13.3%
  2. Meh, Show them Mt. Tai and then be done with it.

23 vote(s)
    76.7%
  3. Who cares about the engagement? Get to the fighting!

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. GunSeraph

GunSeraph Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So most of us know this trope:

The husband is considered a trash/good-for-nothing. So the fiancée comes by to cancel the engagement. Maybe she does it because she doesn't want to marry a loser (more often than not) maybe she cancels it on the orders of a "superior" (family head, master, sect head).
    And it typically involces frogs trying to eat swan's meat.

Now I am looking for a stories that include a specific type of situation where the Character kinda asks "Are you sure? No take backs" and then agrees. (Like Limitless Sword God) usually followed by disbelieve and maybe the fiancée suspects that MC wants to rise her interest by playing coy.
    So it's not too specific, I'd accept a similar scene as in Battle Through the Heavens where the MC goes "You want to cancel the engagement? I don't think so! I'll divorce you first ... hahahaha!"

While the cancellation can be a major driving point for the MC, it shouldn't devolve into a "So now, I'll murder her whole family, because I'm the protagonist and she slapped my face, so naturally her whole amily must die. Again, because I'm the protagonist!" unless the family kinda brings it upon itself.

I must admit, I'm tired of the typical Xianxia MC that indiscriminately murders people, but that's OK, because he is the good guy, but if others do it, woe them! -> Kinda make me want to read a story from the other side ...

As is usual the case in these scenarios, the fiancée ends up regretting canceling the engagement, and maybe tries to get back together- Bonus points if the engagement is technically still in effect ^_^

So, I'm open to suggestions! And if I missed a thread that already exists, feel free to point that out.

2. Johnnycabra

Johnnycabra Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  3. Chronos Bee

Chronos Bee Descendant of Sloth

Reading List:
    Link
    There is the "broken engagement" tag for you , search using it i suppose
    On another note, BTTH mc fiancee lives in regret her entire life breaking her marriage with him , and thats kinda cool, author actually care to show what happens with characters after the ending

4. Aop

Aop [Great Destroyer of Filth] [Dao of Cleanliness]

Reading List:
    Link
    Heavenly Jewel Change has this. MC's godfather wanted his daughter to marry him. They didn't like each other, blah blah blah. That little side story pretty much ended with the godfather disowning his daughter, and she seemingly ran off with the mob character she feel for.