Question Finding a way to contact Chinese author...?

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by May Our Dreams Come True, Mar 2, 2022.

1. May Our Dreams Come True

May Our Dreams Come True Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey everyone, I was actually wondering if there is anyone who knows how to find Chinese authors and contact them.

I probably won't get my answer here, just thought to give it a try. I do remember this one translation group who specifically said on their website that they got the author's permission to translate novels. I wanted to ask how, but I lost the translation group's website and I can't even remember their name. If you're reading this, I would like to ask if you know how I might be able to contact 蓝白格子 author of 我家邪妃太嚣张 (My Evil Imperial Wife is Too Arrogant) or just contact authors in general. I'm translating that novel right now. If ANYONE knows, it'll be helpful!

While I know numerous translation sites do it without asking for the author's permission, and some even receive donations for their translation work, and only take it down when the author asks them to or the website the author is contracted to asks them to take it down, I personally would love to contact the author to ask for permission. And if they don't give permission... well, that's that for the translation of the novel then. I'll respect that.

But I've looked everywhere using baidu (since I can speak and read Chinese, so I can practically navigate it without too much trouble), including going onto the website that the author releases her/his newest novels, but I just can't find a way of contact. Apparently he/she had a Weibo account but I think it was deleted literally late last year or early this year, and I just missed my chance to contact them (if I could even have contacted them at the time).

Maybe it's not that important to contact them, I'm doing my best to guide everyone to the official website and crediting the author and I'm not receiving money from this either. Maybe I'm just trying to find the author because I'll just feel better if I contact the author to receive permission. My sole goal in translating this is to share the author's work to the world so that more people know of it since I like it so much (it's not AMAZING, it has its very obvious, and perhaps even detrimental, flaws, but I just personally love it and her/his other novels).

Anyways, just thought to give it a try to see if anyone has a way of contact XD

Thanks for reading this long post if you did!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2022
  2. IceLight303

IceLight303 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's hard to get in touch with an author. Here is a comment to bump you up I'm the rankings.

3. Smile_for_me

Smile_for_me Isekai enthusiast/ knovel lover

Reading List:
    Link
    +1 i hope you get answers

4. Zeusomega

Zeusomega M.D of Olympus Pvt Ltd. Seeking [Boltzmann brain]

Reading List:
    Link
    Contact the site that's hosting his novels...

Ask them to connect you to the author. This will clarify if author or the site has the rights to allow distribution.

5. Sutad Aatma

Sutad Aatma Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would also suggest leaving a comment under their novel's review section.

6. KazeYuki

KazeYuki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    我家邪妃太嚣张 is a Qidian novel (xxsy is a subsidiary of Qidian). Even if you ask the author directly, they probably can't give you permission and Qidian is not going to give you permission.

7. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The copyright on anything published might not be with the author and seldom is, you might be better off contacting his publisher who actually has the right. But I won't recommend it, the answer from these companies tend to be a boiler plate "No".

An author that holds his own copyright = an author who isn't selling.

8. Tsubaki -

Tsubaki - Unknown Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I suggest contacting the author privately on weibo if they mention their account in the author's notes.

9. May Our Dreams Come True

May Our Dreams Come True Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you everyone who has replied! It was very helpful and some were very informative. What you all said makes so much sense. Maybe I'll just do what other translation groups are doing and just keep translating and publishing it as a fan until someone official contacts me to take it down...

Truly thank you!

Seafall likes this.