Novel Finding My Freedom In Another World

Discussion in 'Community Fictions' started by Liya, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Liya

Liya Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 38

Chapter 38: The Man Behind The Curtain

The Colosseum had multiple layers of seating where the top floors were reserved for royalties and nobles. Compared to the open air sitting for the commoners, the top floors was built with balconies, each forming a small separated seating area enough for a few people.

And in one of the balcony, a man was sitting there. His face was hidden by the curtain shade which was hung to give more privacy.

His attendant came, informing a guest for him.

"Duke Andorra, a man named Rodemack is asking permission to meet you."

"Let him in." His strong commanding tone gave a hint that he was a man of power.

The servant left and soon enough, a short man with a neat handlebar mustache came in, followed by a young man that was like the representative of a grim reaper. He quickly knelt in front of the man who sat there.

"Duke Andorra." Rodemack greeted him, his voice was trembling.

The young man also knelt beside Rodemack, but before he introduced himself, Duke Andorra spoke, "Black Gale Luxus, the previous champion of The Silver Blade Tournament, isn't it?"

"Yes, my lord, I'm that Luxus." Stayed in kneeling position, Luxus lowered his head even further. He who had a good control over his mind and body as the result of continuous training trembled just by the presence of this man. If Luxus was an eagle, then the man in front of him was the king of the sky, a dragon. The strongest magician in the Ardia Kingdom... No, in Terrasia.

"You are the man who makes every magician and warrior jealous, brilliant in magic and sword." His voice was deep, strong, and cold. "You won the previous tournament, conquering all warriors even without using your magic. Such a magnificent talent you are."

"I'm very much honored, my lord..." Luxus showed his obedience by not lifting his head, not even an inch.

Satisfied with Luxus' respond, Duke Andorra talked to the trembling Rodemack. "So Rodemack, I assume your presence here meant something happened with the item."

"My apology, my lord!" Rodemack bowed until his head touched the floor. "T-t-two nights ago, someone broke into the mansion a-and..."

"Enough." His deep voice cut straight Rodemack's words. "I don't want to hear your excuse. What will you do to compensate for your failure?"

Rodemack shivered like a rat cornered by a predator. He couldn't even blame Luxus since Duke Andorra didn't give him a chance.

"P-please, my lord! Anything but my life!" He begged.

"As much as I want to kill you, you're worthless to be killed. I shall take all your possessions, including your life." Duke Andorra moved his finger. "You're mine now."

A magic circle appeared under Rodemack, glowing runes circling him, binding him.

"Vermillion." A person appeared from the shadow when Duke Andorra called the name. "Guinea Pig."

Rodemack was drag out the room while sobbing hard.

Duke Andorra's attention now was focused solely on Luxus. "Why are you here, Luxus?"

"I was the one sent by Archbishop Clementine to guard the item during the journey," Luxus answered him firmly, but he couldn't erase the chill down his spine. He hadn't reported this problem to the Archbishop yet. That corrupted old fart could be dealt with later.

"And you delivered it successfully. Is there anything else?"

Luxus paused for a while, and said, "I put a barrier in the cage."

"Oh?" Duke Andorra understood right away what Luxus meant. "How did the barrier break?"

"Physical force," Luxus answered him.

"Interesting. Using only physical force to break a barrier of the number one Magic Swordsman in the West Continent. So, are you saying that this person is stronger than you?"

Luxus didn't reply, gritting his teeth.

Duke Andorra seemed to understand what Luxus wanted, he tapped his finger on the armchair. After done assessing Luxus' worth, he spoke again, "You are a rare fighter Luxus, bestowed by magical talent and physical talent. If you follow me, you can go even further. Rather than working with that old senile, why don't you work for me?"

His words surprised Luxus, but he replied quickly, "I'm honored Duke Andorra thinks he can use my service. I swear I'll repay that trust you were given to me by serving you loyally."

"Wise decision, Luxus." His low pitch voice gave away that he was smiling, but it was giving a chill to whoever heard him.

After Luxus left, Duke Andorra directed his sight to the highest balcony in the Colosseum. "I wonder what Beornoth plan this time, betting his talented wizard for this childish game."

"Maybe he knew our plan..." Vermillion who had returned asked his master, his breaking voice, informed anyone who heard it that he was a boy in his early teenage years.

"I doubt it. His hands are full protecting this kingdom. As long as we don't disturb this place, he doesn't have any reason poking his nose into our business."

"But the matter with Sennan House recently... And this time with the Selkie... Who else besides him who dare to do something against us? The old Magnus is one step away from the grave, and we have Hisute join hand with us. Those weak east kingdoms wouldn't dare do anything to us."

Duke Andorra answered with his dreadfully calm voice, "Patience, Vermillion. If he kept chasing us, soon enough, he will appear before us. Until that time comes, we must prepare a welcome party for him."

---

As they returned to the Colosseum, Frei and Rena must walk slowly. Compared to when they first entered, the seats were far more crowded. She couldn't see Mirra and Sebastian because a lot of people were standing, cheering.

Rena was carrying a paper bag, buying some potion ingredients she saw at the market, while her other hand was held by Frei, so they wouldn't be separated in the crowd.

"Kyaa!" Rena shouted. Somebody grabbed her butt. She turned around to see who did it, but nobody looked suspicious. She cursed in her heart.

Frei turned around, "What's up?"

"No, nothing!" She shook her head, thinking there wasn't any point to make a big deal out of it now.

He frowned, peering at her. "Walk in front of me."

He pushed Rena to the front. When she switched her position with him, he still didn't let go of her hand. She was painfully aware of how he kept holding hers. That hand was like a mannequin's hand because it was so stiff. She didn't even move a finger.

Because of that, she stepped on several people's shoes before they saw Mirra and Sebastian again.

"So how's everything going, Mirra?" Frei who just had returned asked her.

"It's awesome! The match for the sixth block was quite tough. One Eye Figo and Bear Claw Tedd were equal in strength, but Tedd made a small opening which Figo used to deal a fatal move on him!" Mirra was talking excitedly about the match.

"Oh, look at that! They were down to five people now!" Mirra stood up, trying to get a better view of the ongoing match.

Right when Rena looked at the arena, one of the contestants gave a fatal blow to his opponent. The blood splattered on the ground.

She didn't look away, although she was frowning. When she turned her head, she realized Frei was looking at her, smiling.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" She looked at Frei suspiciously.

"You didn't look down this time." He said.

"I still don't like it, and I'll never like it. But turning my gaze away won't change anything. And the root of cause why Senka is down there is because of me. It's... my responsibility to see it."

She had learned a lot since coming into this world, she had learned how to take care of herself better in this crazy world, but mentally, she was still weak. Her heart wasn't ready to accept her reality. She wanted to be a stronger person than she was yesterday, that's why she didn't want to avoid her gaze anymore.

"Besides, if I can't handle it, you'll be there to help me." She said, smiling at Frei.

"Heh." He chuckled. "You make it sound I am a nice person. I said don't be afraid to use me, I've never said about helping you."

On the contrary of the words he spoke, his gaze turned soft looking at her.

Realizing this, her emergency survival alarm ringing.

(Mayday! Mayday! Mayday!)

Rena quickly broke eye contact with him, she wondered if he realized that his gaze could melt a snow queen's frozen heart. They were in the middle of a bloody match but everything in the surrounding became blurry to her.

"Perhaps it's you who make yourself like a bad person," Rena said.

"Who knows." Frei shrugged his shoulders and then he didn't talk anymore.

So she turned her focus to watch the match that had reached its final phase; there were only two people left standing on the fighting ground.

"Oooh, The War Fairy Zee avoided Iron Hammer Grimsley deathly strike!"

"Go, Zee!" Mirra shouted loudly from the seat next to Rena.

The fighter called Zee rushed to the front and thrust her spear to Grimsley's side stomach. The giant man was not fast enough to avoid the attack and the spear stabbed his body. Blood dripping from his open wound, a fatal wound that would send him straight to the ER. But Grimsley didn't back down, he clenched his stomach muscle to stop the blood from flowing out, preventing him to faint because lost of blood.

The match slowly became a one-sided match where The War Fairy Zee cornered Grimsly on the wall. The wound he received kept adding.

"Why hasn't he given up already? It's clear to see that he can't fight back anymore..."

"A warrior can't easily surrender, Rena. Sometimes their honor is more important than their lives." Frei replied to her question.

It wasn't that she didn't understand this concept. In her old world, a similar practice was often done by samurai centuries ago. But witnessing with her own eyes how a warrior struggled, bathing in blood, this was the first time for her.

"For honor..." She muttered the word.

"It's not always for honor though," Frei said.

Hearing his words, the question slipped spontaneously from her mouth, "Is there anything else?"

"Hmm, what do you think, Sebastian?" Frei threw the question to Sebastian.

Sebastian who didn't talk much and had a serious attitude kept looking straight, but he heard what Frei said.

"What important for each person is different," Sebastian said. "In my opinion, a warrior bet their life to open a path for what they believe in. It may be for glory, for honor, or..." He paused. "For someone."

Rena felt the words he said carried some weight in it, perhaps because of his serious presence or perhaps the scar on his face made his words more impactful.

"Did you hear that, Rena?" Frei said, interrupting her thought.

"Yeah..." She nodded. "Although, I think it applies to anyone. You don't need to be a warrior to have that mindset. To not giving up, marching forward with everything you've got."

Rena clenched her fist, thinking that she too, won't given up; she'd get back her freedom someday. However, her mind soon went blank. Frei's fingers was touching her cheek, tracing her skin. She froze with eyes opened wide.

"Don't forget, I'll be waiting for you tonight." He whispered.

(W-w-why?! Is this happening because I kissed him last night?? I beg your forgiveness! Oh god of this world, Jesus, Buddha, Zeus, whoever you might be, please lead me not into temptation~~~)

She couldn't shout the Rena's prayer out loud, only kept reciting it in her mind.

Looking at her frozen state, Frei smiled a little. He always found Rena's gaze was endearing. However, today, her gaze had the strongest impact on him since the day he met her. Just earlier, he saw her soft fragile side; how her face was pale, down casting her eyes the entire time, how she cried because of it. Then suddenly, she was like a different person. He was watching her grow and it was because of his words, although it was the words he lightly threw out of contempt of this world. He definitely would never let her go. He would give that position to her. The position he reserved for the most deserving woman.

After ten minutes of struggle, Grimsley fell to his knee and Zee pointed her spear to his neck.

"I... surrender," Grimsley said.

"Andddd the winner of block 7 is The War Fairy Zee from the Valia Kingdom!!!"

The crowd cheered so loud since the winner was from their country. They repeatedly yelled her name like an anthem.

Zee shouted, "Jeaaan, I'm coming from youuu!!!"

Meanwhile in the Jaunice House...

"Achoo!!" Jean sneezed feeling something unpleasant.

---

Irie and lkaze like this.
  2. Shaiyamine

Shaiyamine Reader of Novels, Slave to the Screen

Reading List:
    Link
    Ahahaha Jeane is a maiden!!!
    AHAHAHHAHAHAAJSHKAMZNAL

Liya and lkaze like this.
  3. lkaze

lkaze [NTR Sect Follower][@Get Tony To Tease Parth Fund]

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow, nice to have more voice here.

Liya and Shaiyamine like this.
  4. Shaiyamine

Reading List:
    Link
    Nice to have you here too.
    There used to be a lot more voices here tho ahahaha.....

Liya likes this.
  5. Liya

Liya Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 39

Chapter 39: The Dark Horse

Senka was sitting on the floor with his sword resting on his shoulder, waiting in the room used for the contestants of this tournament. The tension in this place was high with everyone in the room carefully observed each other, determining their strongest rival.

Some men tried to provoke Senka earlier but he ignored them. Funnily, they got angrier when he didn't do anything toward them. He sighed in relief when the guards came. He would win easily, but he didn't want to get disqualified from this tournament.

He always thought that people were selfish.

He was familiar with this emotion since he was young.

Like those mongrels who got angrier when he didn't fall to their provocations, like his mother who decided it was better for him to die, or like his adoptive father who took him in because he saw what he could do.

He was sick of people. Every single one of them.

But he needed them to survive, he refused to end up the way his mother wanted him to be, gone without leaving a single trace in the world.

So, in the end, he was also like them. A selfish person.

From this room, Senka could hear the applause and cheer resounding in the Colosseum. He closed his eyes, thinking that among those crowds of people, she was there. Since the day he carried her from that burning village, he kept watching her secretly, admiring her courage and selflessness.

He knew she was just another sacrificial pawn for that blonde guy. Then they deemed her useful for their grand plan, just like himself. The girl, Serena, the name she was given, didn't suspect a tiny bit that they were raising her to be a monster's bait someday.

Until here, he was still thinking that it wasn't his problem.

But that girl... The more he watched her, the more he interacted with her, the more he cared about her.

When she sneaked outside from the inn, behaving erratically, he followed her. As if someone was guiding her, she went to the prostitution district and stopped at the high-class prostitution building there. He decided to show himself to that girl when she looked in trouble. And, for a reason impossible to believe, she told him why she came to that place. He didn't sense any lie. No, he knew this girl didn't have a capability to lie for such a thing.

If he never knew this girl had once sacrificed her life to save a stranger, if he never knew she wasn't capable of harming living things, or if he never knew she wouldn't mind getting into a disadvantageous situation for the good of them all, he would refuse to help her that night. An innocent girl liked her entering that damn place, also because she wanted to save a suspicious creature who invaded her mind.

She was too kind, she wasn't suitable for living in this vile world.

He didn't want her to get hurt.

That's why that night, despite her telling him to stay above the ground, he kept following her. And just as he thought, she was in danger. He slaughtered the monster that was trying to kill her.

Then something he didn't dare to dream of happened... She fell into his arms. And at that moment, he realized he wanted to hug her tight, he wanted to keep protecting her.

Since then Senka had resolved to protect her. He wouldn't allow that wicked magician to take her somewhere away. He wouldn't allow that sly guy to sacrifice her for his plan. As long as she could be happy, he would do anything for her.

And it was for her that he wanted to win this tournament.

He finally found someone he wanted to protect.

It was the first time he felt like this.

It was the first time he regretted losing his voice.

"Alright! All the contestants for the last block gathered! Your match is going to begin soon!" The guard who entered the room announced the news.

He didn't care about those mongrels who were aiming at his back or that triple swords guy who claimed he was famous, or that burlesque man who spit every time he talked. The last man standing would be him.

He stood up, held his sword, and headed toward the fighting arena.

The ground that was in the shape of circle still had a lot of space even a hundred people stood there. On the spot he was standing, there were trace of blood left on the ground from the previous matches.

The elimination round that used battle royal system would only leave one winner for each block. And out of a hundred individuals who fought in the arena, there would only be one winner by the end of the match. A harsh brutal match.

After announcing the name of some famous participants, the announcer started the countdown for the match to begin. All those people who were standing on the arena readying their stance.

"Aaand the match begins!"

As soon as the announcer ended his line, Senka swung his sword. With his unsheathed sword, his first victims were those four mongrels who provoked him earlier. He mocked them in his heart, they had too many opening that it was beyond ridiculous. He hit them with his sword and they lost their consciousness even before they touched the ground.

With his incredible speed and strength, he knocked every costentang who came his way, or every contestant who were distancing themselves from him. His opponent didn't have time to blink when they realized they had been thrown outside the arena. Although, most of them had lost their consciousness the moment Senka's sword struck them.

He quickly gained attention as the announcer focusing on him.

"Oooh, who is that guy on the left corner?! He is as fast as lightning! Striking everything in its way! He is facing The Monk... Oh, The Monk Dai quickly defeated! Ah, he defeated another person! Hmm, I got his name... Senka! His name is Senka!"

The announcer kept talking, "He doesn't even sheathe his sword and he just beat Triple Swords Vaughan! This young man is truly incredible!"

Senka heard the announcer mentioning the name he just hit. For him, this was not even a warming up exercise. His old man was harder to beat than this 99 people combined together.

The attention of all people in the Colosseum now focused on Senka. It was clear as day that this nameless guy whose name they never heard of was on the different level.

"He really is strong..." Rena said in amazement.

Rena thought before Senka was strong, but it was something normal in this world. But now, looking at his figure completely crushed many of his opponents without batting an eyelash, she knew now that he was super strong.

Instead of fighting with each other and reducing their opponents, the contestants stopped in amazement when Senka swept them like a tornado. Then they grouped together trying to bring him down, acknowledging he was an opponent they couldn't defeat alone. A threat to them all. But the number of contestants kept reducing. From 100 contestants at the beginning of the match, there were only 50... 30... 10...

Now that there were only less than 10 people standing on the arena, they surrounded Senka just like wolves trying to corner its prey. These people who were still standing were strong warriors who had their own portions of fame. They raised their guards against him. None of them didn't want to make any single careless move after witnessing his capability.

"What is he...?! His movement is like a beast!" One of the contestants who held a broadsword talked to the guy next to him.

"Sshh! Don't ta-"

Before the guy could finish his sentence, Senka dashed and tackled him. He fell on the floor and Senka hit him with his elbow. Sensing the opportunity, the other guys tried to attack Senka. But, as fast as he could attack them, he was even faster dodging their attack.

Seven people left.

"Take this!"

A curved sword tried to cut his side, but not only he dodged it easily. He spun his body and dropped a kick on the guy's back. The sound of bone cracking was replaced by the sound of tiles breaking in less than a second.

Six people left.

Not waiting for them to attack him, he dashed toward the nearest opponent. But the coward leaped backward, trying to keep his distance desperately. Chasing a scared opponent was a waste of time, so he pulled his sword and threw the scabbard toward him with 30 percent power. The tip of the metal scabbard hit his head and he fell on the ground, unconscious.

Five people left.

"What... what a move! I've never seen a scabbard being used that way in this tournament! A knight could never do that!" The announcer shouted.

After he unsheathed his sword, he was like a tiger showing its claw. However, he stabbed his sword on the ground, leaving his opponents bewildered.

Now barehanded, Senka, who always had a cold expression on his face, smirked daringly. He lifted his hand and moved his finger, telling them to come at him.

"Oh, he provoked them! As if he is saying that he doesn't need his sword to defeat them! What a fearless man!"

He cornered the rest of the guys to attack him, it was troublesome if they kept distancing themselves away from him. He wanted to finish this boring match quickly.

Forming a triangle formation, three of them come to his direction. Using his sword as an axis, he rotated his body and landed a kick on each of them. One of them was strong enough to block his kick.

"Bloody Hunter Khan blocked Senka's kick. Finally, someone who can stop him!"

(He is not bad.)

"You... Are you really human?" Khan, still not moving from the spot, spoke.

Even with arm protectors, the impact of Senka's kick broke Khan's right wrist.

(What define human exactly?)

In less than five minutes, 99 warriors who stood on the arena had fallen, leaving one man standing. The Colosseum was quiet, just like the calm before storm.

"T-the winner of Block 8 is White Lightning Senka!"

The thunderous roar filling the Colosseum. As if the winner of the tournament had been crowned. That day, Senka also got a title.

---

Duke Andorra clenched the armchair. The memory of two decades ago returned in his mind, he had disposed that woman and her newborn child. It was careless of him not to confirm their dead bodies.

He came here to Valia Kingdom because of that Selkie, who would have guessed that he would find that infant was still alive. His appearance and his physical capabilities, there was no mistake that he was one of them. And the skill he was showing, he was nearly as strong as Vermillion, his finest creation.

Duke Andorra drew his conclusion, all the recent incidents... The prototype must be related to all of them.

"Vermillion, follow him. If possible, capture him." Duke Andorra said.

"Yes, Father." And the boy hiding in the shadow answered him.

---

Note: Caught a cold. Need more sleep zzz...

Just a chapter about Senka.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
    Irie likes this.
  6. Liya

Liya Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 40

Chapter 40: The White Gown

"I see him in a new light now!" Mirra said excitedly. "He always reminded me of a stray cat, whenever I approached him he would run away or glared at me. But actually, he is a tiger!"

Although Mirra was enthusiastically praising Senka, inside Rena's mind she only noted that cat and tiger also exist in this world. Perhaps their relationship would improve from now on, that's what Rena thought while her hand was busy stirring the red liquid in the pot.

Mirra moved her head around, watching the surrounding. Then after some time, she asked, "How's the potion?"

"Almost done," Rena answered her.

They were crouching behind the dovecote tower when they met Luna, secretly brewing the red potion. After went back to the mansion, Rena decided to make the red potion. And thanks to Mirra's skill, they successfully 'borrowed' a pot and a ladle from the kitchen.

"Purple sis, you'll get rich in no time if you sell this," Mirra said, watching curiously at the bubbling red liquid, looking very impressed.

"The matter I learned magic is a secret. I can't sell this." Rena said.

"You could leave it to me." Mirra winked and made a thumb up gesture.

"No," Rena said sternly, shaking her head. "I don't want you to get into trouble."

She thought that even if she could sell it, she probably wouldn't. After seeing Baudric getting so excited over the potion she made, she had a feeling it shouldn't be distributed in the market.

"Oh, by the way," Rena said again. "I met Baudric today."

"Hmm? The Bull Oldman?" Mirra stared above her head, recalling the memory where they met Baudric.

"Yeah, I saw him when I went out of the Colosseum with Frei."

"Oh..." Mirra uttered the sound quietly.

"What's up, Mirra?" Rena glanced at Mirra, noticing that she went quiet.

Mirra was staring at the rose candy inside the paper bag Rena brought before she turned to look at Rena and said, "What do you think of him, Purple sis?"

"Who?" Rena frowned, hearing the unusual question from Mirra.

"Frei," Mirra said without batting eyelashes.

"Eh?! Why are you asking something like that?!" The shock made her almost dropped her ladle.

"Sssh! Be quiet!" Mirra covered Rena's mouth quickly.

When she lowered her hand, Mirra said again, "Well, I think he likes you."

"...What makes you think so?" Rena asked. She was skeptical. In her eyes, Frei always treated everyone nicely, although he was way too 'friendly' with her.

Her stirring became too fast as her heart rate increased. Rena knitted her eyebrows, maintaining her focus on the liquid. She didn't want to mess up the potion and redo the work.

"Because whenever he is with you he keeps smiling," Mirra said.

"Those fake smiles?" Rena said, unconvinced.

"Mmmm... He becomes soft and kind if it's involved you."

It wasn't once or twice that Mirra had seen Frei being overly kind to Rena. It really was an unusual treatment for someone bought as a slave.

"Isn't he kind to you as well?" Rena said.

Mirra quietly glanced at Rena, whose gaze was fixed on the red liquid in front of her. Rena didn't know that Mirra had seen another face of Frei that night in the burning village. He was definitely not always soft and kind. In her heart, Mirra partially blamed Frei. He was the cause of her village was burned to ash, Lord Sennan and those bandits fell into his scheme.

"Yeah... I guess..." Mirra replied weakly.

Soon, the red liquid glow and the bubbling stopped, disrupting their conversation.

"It's done now!" Rena said loudly, happily. She poured the liquid into three separate bottles, one for Mirra, one for herself, and one for Senka.

Mirra took a sip as soon as Rena gave the bottle to her.

"Oowww, yess! I'm overflowing with energy!!" Mirra exclaimed excitedly, hopping happily like an Easter bunny.

"Hopefully, this will help him," Rena said, looking at the bottle she held in her hand.

"It will! Definitely! If he doesn't want it, he is a fool!" Mirra said.

They made sure to clean the place after that. Rena cast Water, to extinguish the fire she cast earlier, and Wind, to remove all the traces of ashes and cinders. Then Mirra returned the cooking utensils she took from the kitchen.

Unfortunately, through the rest of the day, nobody saw Senka. Even after another amusing dinner with the Jaunice family, there was no trace of Senka. At first, Rena was concerned if something might have happened, Neel said to her that he didn't feel Senka's presence in the estate. However, Frei and Sebastian were behaving as usual. As a result, not until late that she started to become concern about his whereabouts. Senka just won a brilliant match, and nobody seemed to care that his presence was absent. It was odd. So, rather than guessing, it was better confirming with the other party. She decided to ask Frei or Sebastian.

There was only one little problem...

After dinner, everyone went into their room.

"Ask him, ask him not, ask him, ask him not, ask... Arghh!!"

She randomly used the flower in the vase, trying to decide whether to ask Frei or not.

She'd rather go to Sebastian, but when she asked the maid who just came from the east wing, the maid said he was still in Frei's room. She couldn't erase the memory from the early afternoon that Frei said he was going to tell her the truth... with one condition.

"Really! What should I do?!" She shouted, holding her head, conflicted at the thought of entering that man's room at night. She knew Frei must be enjoying her suffering like this.

[Just to remind you, if you go there, you're by yourself.]

"Thanks, Neel, you are very helpful!" She spouted her irritation verbally.

"It will be alright if Sebastian is there," Rena said, convincing herself. "It isn't that late and people haven't slept yet."

She walked through the corridor that was done in every shade of pink. The skirt of her dress flapped when she walked, going to the east wing, the opposite direction of her room.

When Rena arrived, she saw the door was slightly opened. One centimeter gap was enough for the light inside the room to seep through between the space, giving a contrasting silhouette of the door in the dim corridor.

Her footsteps stopped when she heard Frei and Sebastian was talking. Their voice wasn't that clear from this distance, but judging from their tone, it sounded like a serious matter. She crept slowly, approaching the door, curious about what they were talking.

"To think he would attend this event..." Frei talked to Sebastian.

"Yes. And this just proves that he has moved." This time it was Sebastian's voice.

"I'm afraid so. We must be careful, we can't make any careless move anymore." Frei sounded troubled. After a few seconds of silence, he talked again, "I also met Beornoth today. He... recognized me."

"Beornoth? Oh, he's still up with his antics. What did he say?" Sebastian said, his tone wasn't as formal as he usually was.

Before Frei could answer, Sebastian had opened the door where Rena was trying to eavesdrop. She flinched when the door was opened. Then she stared up at Sebastian's face and was attacked by a sudden chill across her body. That was not the expression of Sebastian she knew. His gaze was as cold as ice and an intimidating aura emanated from his body. The image that flashed on her mind was Hannibal wanted to eat her.

When he saw who was in front of the door, Sebastian calmed down.

"Miss Serena." He greeted her. "Isn't this a little late? Is there something you need with Master Frei?"

"I... I just want to ask where Senka is." Rena tried to make her voice as calm as possible, but she couldn't stop trembling. She hid both her trembling hands behind her body.

"Senka is staying at another place right now because he is one of the contestants. Young Sir Jaunice is part of the prize after all. We want to avoid them protesting."

"Ye-yeah, I guess it wouldn't be fair to other contestants." She couldn't think of anything right now, so she said whatever crossed her mind. "Then, I'll go back to my room now. Thanks, Sebastian."

"No problem, Miss Serena."

"Wait," Frei spoke.

Rena peeked from the space that wasn't covered by Sebastian's body. Frei was sitting crossed legs near the fireplace, wearing a serious expression. Not only Sebastian whose expression just now was unfamiliar to her, the man behind him was also wearing an expression unlikely of him.

Her instinct told her she just got into something really bad.

"Sebastian, let her in. I want to talk to her." Even his tone was unfamiliar to her. Frei didn't order Sebastian with calm and relaxed manner like he usually was, he was commanding him.

She wanted to refuse but Sebastian had moved aside, Rena glanced at Sebastian when she walked into the room, his gaze earlier made her aware he wasn't a normal person. She thought it was given, if Frei wasn't a normal merchant then Sebastian wasn't a normal merchant's assistant either.

"Just sit wherever you like," Frei said. His tone still carried seriousness from his early conversation with Sebastian.

Rena hesitated before picking the short stool that was the closest to the door. When she lowered her body to sit, she stole a glance at the door. Sebastian had left the room. She cursed in her heart.

"I came here just to ask about Senka's whereabouts," Rena said.

"Oh, really? And here I thought you wanted to hear about yourself." He said, showing his naughty cat smile.

"Since I'm here already, let's talk about it." She said, gripping her dress while looking at the man who definitely enjoyed making fun of her.

They stared at each other before Frei making a small laugh, his voice became softer. "Honestly, I thought you wouldn't come."

"As I said..."

But her words were cut.

"Rena, I want you to be my bride."

---

Irie likes this.
  7. lkaze

Reading List:
    Link
    actually i saw the chapter 39 and read it. I also uploaded it but apparently ' i didn't?'

maybe i miss click somewhere

Liya likes this.
  8. Shaiyamine

Reading List:
    Link
    BRIDE?!
    WELL F*CK
    I AINT DEAD YET!!!! I KENT LET BABY RENA MARRY YET!! OVAH MAH DEAD BODYYYYYYYY :blobdevil::blobdevil::blobdevil:

Being the first to find her, being her master, IS NOT AN EXCUSSEEEEE

I CANNOT FORGIVE THEE YET AFTER TEASING HER TOO MUCHAS

I CAN SEE YOU'VE HELD SOMEONE ELSE IN YOUR HEART BEFORE!!! (lol I needed more excuses)

THIS OLD TIMER IS NOT CONVINCED!!:blobtriumph:

Anyhoo I hope your cold is gone! @Liya

Liya likes this.
  9. Liya

Liya Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @Shayaimine yeah, I just a a decent sleep. Thanks!

Shaiyamine likes this.
  10. Liya

Liya Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 41

Chapter 41: Binding Contract

"Rena, I want you to be my bride."

She reacted as if she couldn't hear it clearly, but she definitely heard it. Her mouth moved open and shut, like a fish that came out of the water. Speechless, Rena could only stare at him in bewilderment. Her brain system couldn't process the information.

Women in this world would scream in joy if Frei said he wanted her to be his bride. But she was a 21st-century woman from earth, being suddenly told he wanted her to be her bride was equivalent to a Nigerian Scam.

Her disbelief was clearly shown on her face. Frei, who was still calmly sitting on his seat, couldn't help smiling looking at her.

"B-b-brride?" Totally perplexed, she stuttered demanding his explanation. "W-why me? I'm sure you are not lacking any can-candidate..."

"But you are the one I need," Frei spoke clearly in a low tone.

It wasn't that sort of romantic line. She was quiet for a moment, a stabbing pain in her chest disturbing her thought, she ignored it, maintaining her composure.

"How about your promise to release me before?" She asked calmly.

"What did I say back then?" He paused, thinking. "I never bind a slave forever. If you can return my money, I'll give you the contract."

"Yeah! That's what you said!" She shouted, standing up from her chair. "You'll give me the contract..."

Rena stared at him for a long time, her feet felt like glued to the floor. Finally, it was dawn on her, since beginning Frei had no intention to let her go. He never said anything about releasing her. Even if she got the slave contract, she would be bind by another pact.

She was like a butterfly that was caught by a spider, flapping its wing as the spider slowly spun his thread around her.

With his chill expression, perfectly understood Rena knew what he meant, he said, "And even you pay all those sums. Do you think that's enough?"

She looked down on the carpet under her feet and gritted her teeth, fully understood what he meant, there were things she couldn't just repay him with money. She owed him a lot, and she knew that.

She lifted her gaze again and said, "Why do you need me as a bride? Can't you do that with my status right now?"

He shook his head. "This is the best way for me."

Rena frowned and clenched her fist, the disturbing pain in her chest was getting stronger.

"You... you're not even going to tell me the reason, huh?" Her lips curved up although she didn't want to, it made her look stronger. The thought that she didn't worth his trust hurt her, the sad truth that Frei only saw her as a tool.

Frei got off from his chair when he saw her sad smile. "Well, I could tell you one of the reasons."

He walked toward her, but Rena stepped back. Each of his step forward, each of her step backward. However, his long legs made him straight smoothly, faster than she could back away. He caught her right on the door, and with his hand pushed against the door, he kept the door closed.

"I took it when you came here, you're ready for the consequence."

His face was just a few inches away from hers when he said that.

"Just tell me the reason." Her voice was still calm, although that wasn't what happened inside her mind.

"Can't you figure it out?" Frei said, tracing her cheek with his fingers.

"No, I can't. I'm not a mind reader." Rena said, piercing him with her gaze. Her hand grabbed his wrist, stopping him to touch her face.

"Because I want you to stay by my side." He said.

Rena stared at Frei's perfectly calm face, not sure at how much truth in his words. She couldn't trust him anymore.

She tightened her grip on his hand and said, "I... I'll be your bride if that will help you. However, if you want me on your bed, you need to work harder than this."

His smile that was as sweet as an angel and as seductive as a devil appeared.

"Then, if I may..." He said quietly, moving his head slowly toward her.

He lifted her chin and pressed his lips against hers.
    He started sucking her lips, slowly parting it with his tongue. His tongue slid inside her mouth, searching for hers.

She froze, it wasn't a short subtle lip kiss like she gave him yesterday. A weird sensation made her tingle and something inside her was lit. She couldn't push him back.

(Why is it?) She thought.

The stabbing pain in her chest which disturbing her since earlier was like a premonition that there was something buried inside her heart.

Rena couldn't deny it anymore, she had a feeling for Frei.

When she was in the worst situation in her life, confused, weak, and lost, he was the one who saved her from all of that. He gave her a place to belong in this world. He showed her a way to survive. However, her mind told her, he would be a trouble for her, he was fickle, distance, and he didn't let someone entered his heart. The tiny bud of love that kept resurfacing whenever she was with him, all those warm feelings, she quickly buried in the bottom of her heart.

It was just when he came to her like this, it made her painfully aware of her own feeling.

Just when she was about to close her eyes, her mind reminded her that she must not get defeated so easily by him. He only saw her as a tool. She didn't want to end up as his toy as well.

Triggered by her anger, she thought of counterattacking. The next moment, Rena lifted her hands, placing her hands behind him. One hand tangled on his back, to pull her up. And the other hand, with his golden locks between her fingers, grabbed his head, to push him down.

She closed her eyes and following his rhythm, she kissed him back, deep and passionate with all the burning feeling she got. His aquamarine eyes opened, his body twitched a little, surprised by her reaction.

Then she bit him.

"Ouch!"

"I'm sorry, I didn't say it clearly earlier. If you want to embrace me, you need to win my heart or else..." She paused her words for a second. "If you so desperate you can force yourself on me, I'm your slave soon to be bride after all."

Putting all the courage she had, she touched his cheek with her hand, and said, "But when you did that, know that I'll never forgive you. And whatever you're trying to do, I'll never cooperate with you."

"I'm sure I don't need to tell you, it's better to have a willing person to join in your cause. So, which one is more important for you, your ambition or your desire?"

The corner of her mouth raised, and the dim of the night, the reflection of the light made her amethyst eyes glow bewitchingly.

Frei was standing still, lost at words, getting pulled in by her gaze. He knew women had many faces, his experience had told him so. That night, he just saw what was hidden under the layer of the meek Rena. The sweet innocent young maiden who gave him fluttering feeling whenever he was with her, now completely ensnared him. He couldn't look away from her.

"I'm tired and since you're not willing to tell me anything useful, I'll be back to my room. Good night."

She turned around, and without waiting for his response, opened the door and left the room.

That night, he successfully provoked the girl called Aoki Rena. Not that sixteen years old girl who had no idea about her past, but the twenty-one years old girl who had refused many approached from guys, leaving them broken-hearted, and secretly being called the flower on a high cliff behind her back.

----

When Rena was back in her room, she called Neel.

"Neel, come out."

The little boy with light blue hair appeared from her shadow.

"I want to be alone tonight, can you go somewhere else?" She spoke to Neel without looking at him.

"...Yes, I'll go to the rooftop." He followed her request as a gesture of sympathy. Nothing would change by him leaving the room since their mind was connected.

Neel stole a glance at Rena before she covered herself under the blanket and saw a tear trickled down her cheek. He turned around and opened the balcony window and jumped to the roof. He was a magical beast, he wouldn't get sick even if he stayed outdoor all night.

The pink satin blanket covering her moved up and down, trembling slightly, telling the person looking from the outside that she was crying. There was no sound as she gulped her cry that was trying to escape from her mouth.

After some time had passed, she started feeling hot and stuffy under the blanket, so she opened the blanket and felt the fresh air brushing her face. Then she saw the rose candy Frei bought for her on her bedside. The glistening red petals made her remember his sweet words, her anger boiling up again, she picked up the rose candy and intended to throw it on the wall, breaking it. She lifted her arm and swung it forward.

But her hand didn't let go the rose candy.

"How agonizing..." She gripped the rose candy tightly.

If Frei had told her since the beginning, she wouldn't be this mad, she would just accept it as it was. But after giving her a false wing to fly, he pulled her back, slamming her down to the ground. She was mad at herself for falling for him, she was mad at him who successfully played with her heart.

The thoughts that echoed in her mind...

He didn't trust her. He didn't love her.

He wanted her to stay by his side as his tool, as his toy.

She gripped the rose candy with a resolute gaze. If she couldn't escape from him, then the only path for her was to move ahead. Dealing with Frei won't be easy for her, but she must not let him defeat her.

First, she needed to find out more about what kind of person the man called Frei. She must learn about him, she must understand him, so he couldn't control her like a puppet. She refused to be just his plaything.

Rena slapped her cheeks hard with her hands, and said, "Fight!"

---

After a few days my thread is still on the top... :blobfearful:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
    Irie likes this.
  11. lkaze

Reading List:
    Link
    *sweat* stop hiding your thread

Liya likes this.
  12. Liya

Liya Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 42
    Chapter 42: Mind Attack

The next morning when she opened the door, Frei had been waiting for her in front of her room. Although being alone with just Frei was the last thing she wanted to do at the moment, she couldn't help it. Frei told her Mirra and Sebastian had gone an hour earlier to the tournament, reserving seats. She knew it was just an excuse, he drove them away.

"Mirra and Sebastian had waited for us. I've asked them to prepare a carriage. Let's hurry." Frei said.

Holding her disdain toward him, she quietly walked with him. Outside the mansion, the carriage that was pulled by two gorgeous unicorns had waited for them. Rena really thought the Jaunices were really nice people, even the maids were nice and polite. As their guests, all of them were treated nicely. If there is one thing that was slightly disturbing, just slightly, it was their love for one certain color.

Rena sat inside the carriage, looking at the interior. Since it was a noble carriage, it was more luxurious than the one she rode before. The seat was covered by fur and the windows had silk drapes on it. Without a doubt, all of them matchlessly colored in pink.

(No wonder, Jean is super sensitive when pink is mentioned...)

She sighed, sympathizing with Jean since she started to get sick with this romantic color everywhere.

"What are you thinking?" He asked her, staring the conversation.

"Nothing important." She answered without looking at his direction.

"Senka's match today, he is going to fight with Eleonore's cousin," Frei said. "We saw her match yesterday."

"Oh." She uttered the sound sharply, showing her indifference.

Sensing she was not in the mood to talk with him, Frei didn't disturb her anymore. Then after a while, Rena opened her mouth, "I just want to confirm, if I can return your money, I still get the slave contract. Is that right?"

"Yes," Frei answered shortly but clear.

"Then I'll work hard to pay you." She stated her intention.

Her priority was getting that slave contract. As long as she got her hand on that piece of parchment, a marriage contract would be easier to deal with.

Frei made a faint smile, but she quickly looked away, ignoring him. And they kept their silent until they arrived at the Colosseum.

Sebastian and Mirra who came earlier managed to secure a good spot to watch the match.

"Hey, Mirra, whose match is now?" Rena said.

Her ponytail swayed when she turned her head at Rena. "Hi, Purple sis. It's Jade Dragon Li and Head Cutter Halifax. You should check up the earlier match..."

With her bright expression, Mirra excitingly described the match Rena missed. Apparently, the tournament started earlier, and Rena didn't know that.

Sitting on the other side of Mirra was Sebastian, Rena stole a glance at him. He greeted them politely when they came, just like the usual Sebastian. But after last night, Rena's impression toward Sebastian changed completely.

Sharp narrow nose, high cheekbone, thin lips, and defined jawline, Sebastian looked like an intelligent type. Added that spectacles which perfected his image. But behind the spectacles, his dark gray eyes carried a wildness in it. He was closed to forty, but his tall body was still firm and in shape, no fat belly sticking out. A sign that he, at least, exercised a lot. His guarded and serious manner, his posture, everything about him screamed nothing of a merchant's assistants who worked behind the desk. If he switched those spectacles into sunglasses, he would fit the image of a secret service agent.

(The scar on his face... Why he left it there?)

Rena who got the first-hand experience with the skin regenerative potion wondered why he didn't remove that scar.

When Sebastian turned his head, she snapped back from her thought and moved her sight away.

"So, you see... After yesterday, the talk about Senka is big! They think he will win this tournament!"

On the way back to the Jaunice House, Mirra kept talking about Senka after the match yesterday. After seeing how strong Senka on the arena, she started admiring him and proud that she was learning skills from him.

Rena was smiling, listening to Mirra's enthusiasm, thinking that their relationship might improve from now on.

"I don't really care whether he's going to win or not, as long as he's fine after the match, but if he could win then that's wonderful," Rena said.

And then she pulled Mirra closer to her, whispering in her ears, "You said before you wished Sebastian could teach you instead of Senka. Is that mean Sebastian a good fighter too?"

Many people around them were talking and cheering, Rena hoped that Sebastian who sat next to at the opposite side of Mirra wouldn't be able to hear it.

"Hmm? He was the one who taught Senka, so yeah, he might be a good fighter too."

She might be thinking too much, but this was like supporting her suspicion that Frei was not just a normal merchant. Since that night Neel told her about his anti-magic power, suspicious things surrounding Frei piling up. She was still trembling when she recalled Sebastian's expression last night, that was absolutely not a face of a merchant's assistant.

The crowds roared when the two contestants entered the arena. From the east side came a fine young man, with a long black hair, carrying a sword. Rena squinted her eyes trying to take a better look at him. This was the first time since the day she woke up in this world to find someone with a black hair, similar to hers.

"Here's the winner of block 5, the Jade Dragon Li! Fantastic performance last match with his thousand blades dance he defeated all the strong contenders in the block 5!"

Next, a two meters tall, board chested muscular guy with braided cornrows hair, carrying a double-headed ax stepped out the gate from the opposite side. Rena frowned when she saw his weird creepy necklace.

"And here's the winner of block 6, the Head Cutter Halifax! Living up to his name, he beheaded his enemies and added his head as part of his collections. His necklace is an unspoken truth that whoever dares to challenge him will never have a peaceful end!"

"Eew..." Rena squirmed, looking at those shrunken heads necklace.

"Whoever wins this match is going to face Senka!" Mirra said with confidence as if his win was predetermined.

The crowds cheered, shouting their names. However, the two people, who were standing on the arena, were only focusing their sight on their opponent. As soon as they started to move, the crowds were getting louder.

The black hair man called the Jade Dragon Li was fast, his movement was beautiful and elegant as he was dancing with the sword as his partner. The light reflected from his sword was like hundreds of camera flash following him, as he was the center of the attention.

Compared to Li's graceful movement, Halifax's movement was less impressive. He was brute and rough. Every time his ax missed his opponent and hit the ground, he broke the floor.

After fifteen minutes had passed, Halifax's body was full of small cuts, but none of them was lethal. Li's swordplay couldn't break his opponent strong defense.

Watching from afar, Rena thought of Senka.

She started realizing the difference between these people and him. His speed and strength, combined with his precise movement and sharp blade, made him look like a beast compared to these people. The moment he dashed to his opponent, they became his prey. And as if he could see their lifeline, he easily found their weak spot and crushed them.

"Who do you think is going to win?" Frei finally spoke to her. He had been quiet since they were in the carriage.

"...Halifax." She said the name in a small voice, nearly like a whisper.

"Why do you think so?"

"Li's swordplay couldn't give a fatal blow to his opponent. He is better in techniques but he couldn't break Halifax's strong defense. Halifax's brute strength could break his opponent's bone with just one strike."

Rena hoped she was wrong though. She didn't want Li's head separated from his body.

"That's pretty good observation from someone who closed their eyes half the match." Frei's lips curved up a little.

"Are you asking my opinion only to mock me?" The words were spoken in a cold tone. Rena didn't look at Frei, only kept staring the fighting arena below.

"Do you want to bet?" He said.

"No." She curtly answered him before saying, "I'm not betting for the sake of amusement when people put their life on the line. And should I remind you that I won the last bet?"

On that perfect gentleman mask, the corner of his lips twitched, faintly.

Rena didn't notice this before because she got flustered whenever he approached her closely. She was satisfied finding this little habit of his, she took the sign as her provocation worked.

Sadly, her prediction did come true. Halifax changed his tactics, rather than trying to chop his opponent, he slammed the side of the ax's head to his opponent. Li, who thought Halifax was swinging his ax vertically, dodged to the side, but his ax changed course and hit him on the face.

The moment Li lost his balance, Halifax threw his ax on Li. It hit his shoulder and the blood burst from the wound. At the same time, his ax flying, Halifax charged and slammed his fist on Li's stomach. The guy lost consciousness at that moment.

Halifax was announced the winner.

The crowd became noisier when the last match about to begin, talking about the contender of this tournament who was unknown until yesterday. Rena was listening to the talks about Senka from the surrounding people.

"Is he that good? I didn't see yesterday's match."

"He is as strong as a beastman!"

"I bet all my money on him!"

"He's so fierce, I wonder if he's the same on the bed." Followed by a woman's naughty giggle.

"I'm conflicted... I want Zee to win, but that man is something else."

Senka's opponent today was a knight woman named Zee from Valia Kingdom.

When the east gate was opened, a tall girl with braided marigold hair appeared from the inside. She was wearing an ornate silver armor and carrying a spear with a golden hilt.

She had a lot of supporters calling her name, cheering for her. Zee waved her hand to the crowds and then clenching her fist in the air, showing her confidence in claiming the victory.

"She cornered Iron Hammer Grimsly in the pre-elimination round and won the match, the winner of Block 7, our beloved War Fairy Zee! Since then she had received at least thirty proposals from men but she refused them all!"

Then the west gate was opened, and a young man with a silvery white hair and a light brown skin walked to the arena. The crowds became noisy again.

"An unknown name when he first stepped in this arena, but his magnificent performance last time could only be compared to the best swordsman in this continent. The winner of Block 8, White Flash Senka!"

The crowds shouted his name in unison. "Senka! Senka! Senka!"

He, who was unheard yesterday, was now a famous name in the capital of Valia Kingdom. But Senka didn't respond to the crowds cheering for him, he just walked straight to the arena where his opponent had been waiting for him. He didn't like being in a spotlight, if it's not because of her, he would refuse to participate in a show off the tournament.

When Zee and Senka had readied their stance, the announcer shouted, "Zee versus Senka, Round 4 of The Silver Blade Tournament Quarter Final begins!!!"

Both contestants dashed forward, and Senka made a wide step and swung his sword at Zee's side. However, Zee skillfully used her spear to block his sword.

Senka moved closer to Zee, avoiding the range of her spear, but for a short second, his footstep was halted and Zee used the opportunity to leave a small cut on his arm.

Rena frowned. "Senka looks weird."

"Really? He looks fine to me." Mirra placed her hand, on top of her eyes, preventing the sun from disturbing her sight.

Rena wasn't sure how to put it, they were sitting quite far from the arena, but Senka looked like enduring pain.

"His expression... he's like in pain." Rena squinted her eyes.

Zee marched forward, gaining momentum, and slowly cornering Senka. He, who was brilliant yesterday, couldn't gain an opportunity to attack Zee, only took a defensive stance.

[Someone is using a mind magic on him, but it wasn't his opponent.]

Neel's voice resounded on Rena's mind.

(Ehh?! Can you do something about it?)

[Yes, that's why I'm telling you. I need your permission as my contractor.]

(I give you permission! Beat that cheater down!)

Rena frowned as she bit her lips, waiting for any news from Neel.

"He does look weird," Sebastian said.

Rena glanced at Sebastian whose gaze was locked in the arena, wearing a serious expression. Of course, Sebastian would recognize Senka was odd if he was the one who taught him sword skills, Rena thought.

And then, Senka made his move, he approached Zee and tackled her legs. Zee jumped, avoiding his swept at a critical moment. But as soon as her feet touched the ground, Senka had already behind her and hit her neck with the hilt of his sword.

He won.

When they announced him the winner, he was using his sword to support himself, still feeling the effect of the magic.

[I did it. I chased away the attacker.] Neel reported to Rena.

(Thanks, Neel.)

[This person who attacked Senka... He was very strong. I think you should tell that magician about this incident.]

(Okay.)

Rena stood up right away after the match ended and Senka went back to the waiting room.

"Where do you want to go?" Frei asked.

"Visiting Senka." She said, wanting to check his condition. Without waiting for his approval, she left, quickly walking down the stairs.

"Rena, wait!" Frei called her.

She kept moving, pretending she didn't hear him. There were many people here, it would be for him to chase him, she thought. However, her body suddenly felt heavy. She couldn't move and dropped to the floor.

"W-what happen...?" She uttered the words in confusion before she realized this was the work of her slave contract.

"Miss Serena," Sebastian called her. He had been standing behind her.

"It was easy to get lost in this crowd of people, let's go back."

Sebastian extended his hand to help her stand.

"I could stand by myself. Thanks." Rena said, refusing his offer.

She got up and they returned to where Frei and Mirra were waiting.

"Purple sis, are you okay?" Mirra asked her anxiously, watching Rena's expression.

She didn't answer Mirra's question, anger was boiling in her. So far, Frei never used his authority and it had made her forget there really was a magical binding between them. When their eyes met, she pierced him with her glare. He didn't say anything.

She took a deep breath, calming herself. Then a thought appeared in her mind.

(Why wouldn't he let me meet Senka?)

---

Irie likes this.
  13. Liya

Liya Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 43
    Chapter 43: Neel Revealed

On the way back to the Jaunice House, Rena was silent in the carriage. Feeling anger and frustration, she tried to control her temper. She went looking for Jean as soon as they went back to Jaunice House. She dashed to his study room with Frei following her. As much as it annoyed her, she couldn't shake him off, so she tried her best to ignore Frei. Jean was standing in front of the bookshelf, holding an open book in his hand.

"Jean, I have something important to talk to you." She said urgently.

"Talk then," Jean said.

Rena glared at Frei who was now standing beside her. She hadn't told him about the matter of Senka being attacked secretly.

"I could go if you don't want me to hear it," Frei said noticing her stabbing look.

Although she was angry at Frei, he probably deserved to know, so she took a deep breath and started talking, "Someone attacked Senka with mind magic today."

The room was silence for a few seconds before Jean spoke, "How did you know?"

Although this news was hard to believe, Jean knew Rena didn't tell a lie.

Using magic in the tournament was strictly forbidden and the tournament's organizer made sure magic couldn't be used in the arena. They also had some magicians to monitor the tournament so the contestant wouldn't cheat. He was actually asked to improve the security in the arena, so it was impossible for just any magician to break the improved security.

Knowing, she couldn't convince Jean without telling the truth. Rena told him how she made a contract with a magical being, a Selkie named Neel.

"Neel, can you come out?"

The frail-looking boy appeared from her shadow, showing himself to everybody in the room. Although he looked weak, there was an erudite air around him, giving an impression that he was a well educated boy. His light blue hair swayed when he greeted them.

"Hello, I'm Neel, a Selkie who made a contract with Serena. Please to meet you all." Neel said in semi-formal way.

Jean closed his book, as soon as he saw Neel. His interest was picked.

After his brief introduction, Neel explained how he met Rena that day. Contrary to his appearance that was of a boy, he brought himself well and his speech was organized. He was like a different person than the Neel who was talking to Rena.

After listening to Neel's story and getting some additional details from Rena, Jean withdrew his conclusion.

"So..." Jean crossed his arms, his finger tapping his arm rhythmically. "You sneaked around someone's private property at night, fought a monster in a secret underground passage, made a summoner contract without your consent, AND you just told me now?"

His red color upturn eyes gleamed as he smiled. The guy who always looked like he was eating a bitter pill, smiled. But that smile was a demon king's smile. A visual trick made it seem like thunderbolt and lightning appeared behind him.

(Mamaaaa, Oooo I don't want to die!!)

Rena heard that song lyrics in the back of her mind. She knew it would become like this when she told him the truth.

She inhaled a deep breath and said, "Yes. I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner, but I wanted to figure it out what I should do about him first. Can we talk about that later? More importantly, What do you think about Senka's matter?"

Jean was in thought for a moment and then he said, "This man must be a powerful magician. He could sneak into the barrier set up in the area."

"What else do you know about him?" Jean looked at Neel who was standing in front of Rena.

Neel closed his eyes, recalling the memory when he fought that person. "He was powerful. His mind was guarded by a wall stronger than yours."

Jean's face twitched and his gaze sharpened, he was alarmed. There were only a few magicians stronger than him, someone could count them with one hand.

He bit his finger, deep in thought. This was a serious problem. The winner of the tournament got to meet the king after all. And even more important, his future was on the line.

"I'll come to the tournament tomorrow. We still don't know the aim of this person; depending on the situation I might report this to the king. Meanwhile, I'll ask my father about any notable guest in the tournament."

The room was silent after that. Jean and Frei, each busy assessing the situation in their mind.

Looking at both of them, Rena understood the situation was more serious than what she thought. However, after some time passed, she broke the silence in the room.

"Jean... Could you teach me any mind related to magic? At least, the magic to protect the mind."

Rena had been meaning to ask about mind related magic since she met with Neel, but the current situation made her think how urgent to learn this type of magic to guard her mind. She didn't want to be controlled. She had enough of that.

"I don't think you are ready for it. All of them are high-level magic. Besides, that Selkie of yours... He is skilled at using this type of magic. You could rely on him for the time being."

"Neel?" Rena was surprised, this was news for her.

She looked at Neel and he looked back at her with big blue eyes, blinking a few times.

"Stop pretending. You could sneak into my house and into the match today unnoticed, you must be a high-level being in your clan." Jean said sharply.

"I admit our clan is specialized in using mind magic, and I'm pretty good at it," Neel said calmly.

"Then why did you get caught by the human?"

After being quiet for a while, Frei spoke. He was standing in front of the entrance with his back leaning against the door as if he wanted to make sure that nobody could enter the room. Jean's study room didn't leave much space for them to seat anyway.

He continued his words, "A magic beast who can transform into a human and fluent with magic arts surely isn't easy to be caught."

"Well, it was hard to defeat human since they would do anything for their ambition." Neel glanced sideways at Frei and said, "Don't you agree?"

"Certainly," Frei answered, the corner of his lips curved up. "We have learned a lot from the other races."

Rena looked at both of them and thought Neel and Frei were somewhat similar in the way they brought up themselves. Neel who had that cute innocent look was more mature than what he appeared to be. Frei who had that kind gentleman look was more cunning than what he appeared to be. And how she stuck like a sore thumb between them.

How ironic that she connected to both of them by contract, she smiled bitterly. Then her gaze wandered on the walls of books in Jean’s study room.

“Can I look around, Jean?” She said.

“Go ahead, just put it back again in order if you pick a book.”

“Understood.” She said, walking away from Frei and Neel.

She checked one of the corners, looking at the book placed on the shelves. Some of the titles were Sacred Ruins, Secret of Brewery, Shambala: The First Kingdom, Succubus Magic, …

“Secret of Brewery Book seems interesting…” She muttered to herself.

While she was busy reading the titles, she heard Neel speaking.

"Since we're done talking here, I'm going to nap. Thanks to a certain someone, I didn't sleep last night."

"Oh?" Frei said. "Then why don't you sleep on the bed? Jean, is it alright to open another room for him?"

Before Jean could answer, Neel had replied, "No, it's alright. I'd rather be closed to Rena anytime."

A drop of sweat fell from her forehead.

(Neel, what are you up to?!)

[Well, he irritated me~]

Neel answered shortly before returning to her shadow.

As she continued looking around some book titles, she pulled a title that she wanted to read but hadn’t had a chance to read it so far, The Amethyst Wizard’s Life.

“Jean, can I borrow this book?” She asked.

“Just make sure you don’t drool on it.”

“I won’t!” She retorted quickly.

Rena grabbed the big book and hugged it with both arms. When she turned around she saw Frei was still standing in front of the entrance, she couldn’t go out without passing him. Whenever she looked at him, she got angry again. As if he sensed her anger, he kept sticking on her which made her got even more irritated.

"You can use my lab, it's the tower in the south wing garden. There is an empty room at the top of the tower, I use it to practice or experiment stuff. You don't need to worry to about destroying it since it's warded by magic." Jean said.

"That’s great. Thanks for your consideration, Jean." She said.

"No problem." He replied shortly, but his earlobes turned reddish.

Rena saw this slight change, she had noticed that whenever Jean got praised or getting words of appreciation, his ears would turn red. He was weak to praise.

"Alright, Frei, Serena. I need to talk to my father, so I’m going to go to the palace.” Jean said.

His hand moved to his pocket, taking an antique key.

"Here, I give you permission to use my lab. Don't touch anything there."

"Un." She nodded, her hand extended, receiving the key. The bronze key had a small ruby decorated on its head.

"Then I'll start practicing now.”

She put the key in her pocket while the other hand holding the book, and walked toward the door. Their gaze met, however, Rena kept quiet until Frei moved, opening the door for her, and said, “I’ll accompany you.”

She turned around when the door opened for her.

"Jean, I forget to ask something."

Then she looked at Frei and said, "Can you leave us for a bit?"

He obediently followed her request and closed the door, leaving Rena and Jean alone.

"What do you want to talk? Make it quick." He said.

"Jean, I have been meaning to ask you this... How does the magical contract work? Is it possible to break the contract?" She asked nervously.

It was a question that she had been wanting to ask when she met Jean, but since he was Frei's friend she couldn't bring that question out from her mouth until now.

Jean looked at her quietly. And when he saw her nervous gaze, he said, "The contract was canceled when one of you died or the owner broke the pact."

"Then, is it possible to force someone to do your bidding?"

His eyebrow slightly raised when he answered, "If you refused the order, your body will be in pain. The longer you disobey, the more painful it will be."

"I see, it's just physical torture." She said, looking relieved. "Thanks for telling me this."

What was she afraid of was being controlled, as she couldn't disobey his order just like a programmed robot. She didn't know how this contract worked, that's why until now she always kept her words and behavior decently good, not to provoke her 'owner'.

She smiled at Jean and walked toward the door. This time, Rena really left the room.

Jean was perplexed, looking at her slender body from behind, closing the door in front of him. He didn't say anything until she was completely gone.

"Just...?" He said.

---

Irie likes this.
  14. Liya

Liya Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 44
    Chapter 44: A Thousand Apologies

Frei was waiting when she quit Jean's study room. Rena kept walking, ignoring him, heading toward the tower. From the distance, she could see the small windows on the brick tower and green ivy plants grew thick on the wall. She was looking forward to seeing Jean's lab, eager to see what she could find there. Although there was a little disturbance...

"Don't you have anything else better to do than following me?"

"I could help you with your training."

"I don't need your help."

Her answers become more snappy as she got irritated why Frei kept following her like a dog.

When Rena arrived at the tower, looking at the magic seal was drawn on the door, proved that it was protected by Jean's magic. The man behind her spoke, "I also want to apologize."

He said every word clearly, trying to convey he meant it.

"For what? You don't owe any apology to me."

"Then why are you angry?" Frei was calm, but his question was asked carefully.

She was bitter about her own helplessness and how she wanted to erase her feeling she just discovered.

"You don't need to be so kind and concern about me, I'm just your slave."

She took the key from her pocket with one hand while the other hand held the book she borrowed from Jean. She inserted the key to the keyhole and turned it.

"If I do that, will you not be angry anymore?"

Rena didn't answer him, his words become more and more irritating for her, as if he was trying to lure her anger out.

She twisted the door handle, pushing the door opened and quickly went inside. Even quicker trying to close the door. However, he had held the door already with his hand.

"Go away!" She shouted, pushing the door.

But the door wouldn't budge even an inch.

"I've never seen you as a slave." He said clearly.

She could see half of his face which wasn't covered by the wooden door. His sea-green eyes looking directly at her.

"Then what are you doing this morning?" She said while making a cynical smile. "Didn't you restrict me with a slave contract?"

Frei didn't answer her. However, she noticed a slight discomfort on his face. Before her mind could process what happened, Frei used that moment to slip inside the place and closed the door.

The two of them only stared at each other. She swore she would kick his ass if he approached her any further.

Then Frei said something unexpected.

"Sorry."

Just one word, without giving her any reason. No sweet words, no smile. He just looked at her straight in the eyes

Frei was completely aware the reasons for her anger. But no matter how much he hurt her, he was unwilling to let her go.

Finally, Rena relented. She was hurt, but treating him badly didn't give her any benefit either. Sighing deeply, she spoke impassively, "You need a thousand apologies before I could forgive you."

"Alright," Frei said. "Sorry... Sorry... Sorry... Sorry... Sorry... Sorry... Sorry..."

"Stop!! What are you doing?!" Rena looked at him angrily.

"You said you'll forgive me for a thousand apologies." He made a pouty face.

She put her hands on her face.

"I meant it won't be that easy to forgive you! Anyway, can't you just stop bothering me? I want to improve my magic skills, not wasting my time with you."

"I will help your training." He said insistently.

Ignoring him, she walked to the middle of the room. Her gaze carefully observed Jean's lab, noticing how the inside was much bigger than the outside. She quickly assumed this was spatial manipulation magic.

The room was filled with rolls of parchments and tools she had never seen, a few things scattered here and there on the floor. But the one that took her attention right away was the big globe in the center of the room. She approached the miniature planet.

"Is this Terrasia...?" She moved her head closer, bending her body a little.

"I'll answer your question if you forgive me," Frei said. He stood up and walked to where she was standing.

"It's fine too if you don't answer," Rena replied sharply.

He gave a soft sigh before answering her question. "That's not Terrasia. Terrasia is the name we gave for West and East Continent combined. Generally, it is the place where human lived."

She looked at the blue globe that was half her size, circling it slowly. Her head moved left and right a little, examining it.

"I'll make it 999 if you tell me what is this?" She pouted a little while saying it.

Frei couldn't help smiling, looking at her pursed lips. "991, I said some earlier. This is the miniature of our planet, Eden."

She muttered the word as she looked at the rotating blue globe in front of her, "Eden..."

Frei pointed out the place where they currently at with his finger. "We're here, this area is Valia Kingdom territory."

The green represented the land, and the blue was water. Rena directed her gaze at the green peninsula Frei pointing. The globe showed the location of the human continent just barely above the equator line, with its southern tips touching that imaginary line. The land outline was similar to the Rena saw before on the ship's map.

"And this is where Ardia Kingdom, right?" Rena pointed at the southern tips of the West Continent.

"Yes." He gave her a firm response.

"Frei... If there are human continents, is there any non-human continents?" Rena asked. Her curiosity beat her frustration over him.

"Yeah, this is Dragoria, it's the place where the dragons breed." Frei pointed another land mass on the southern hemisphere of the planet. "The place is too harsh for humans to live, the land is dry because constant scorching of dragon's breath, magma river on the surface, and active volcanoes could erupt at any given time."

"Uwee.... Dragons..." Rena said, her lips slightly made a downward curve.

"It's okay. Dragons live far away from human land, although that also applies to other magical creatures. It's not an everyday occurrence you walk into the street, found an abandoned selkie and brought it home."

"I don't casually pick him up."

Frei made a small laugh looking at her annoyed face. Then he asked, "Do you still want me to continue?"

She glared at him but nodded.

"This place is Evoria." He pointed at a land mass on the northern hemisphere. "There are some magical beasts who could withstand the harsh freezing temperature and settle here. Your selkie is probably come from here."

(Is that true, Neel?)

[Yeah, my home is pretty close to the mainland.]

"Also, there are islands inhabited by beastmen, spirits, or dwarves."

"Those races exist too, huh..." She blinked a few times, staring at the miniature Eden.

"Well, we don't mingle with other races, any contact with them was minimum during a peaceful time. Some people live their life without seeing any of them." Frei said. "I could tell you more if you are interested but don't you want to do your magic training?"

"Yeah." Rena nodded. She got distracted by Frei's explanation that she almost forgot what she intended to do.

"It's okay, I have a similar thing in my house, although smaller and not as amazing as this one." Frei tapped the circular wooden structure that supporting the globe. "I also have a lot of books, it's all for you to read. I can't teach you magic, but I can teach you other stuff."

She was quiet for a moment. He was being kind and generous right now just like the usual him, it was almost like she was the bad person who didn't know her place.

"I'll think about it." Rena shortly answered.

Rena turned around and headed toward the circular stairs, recalling what Jean said that the practice room was at the top. Her feet steadily stepped at the staircase one by one as she went up the tower.

The middle floor had a big wooden table, full of tubes and jars. Dried plant and organs filling the jars, but there were also some living lizards there. Mortar and pestle that was made of stone, and several cauldrons on the floor that were made of different materials. Colorful bottles were placed neatly on the shelves. She recognized right away that this must be the place where Jean experimented with potions.

Frei, who was following Rena, had also arrived in the room.

"This is rather creepy, isn't it?" He looked at one of the jars that had a big eyeball floating in the liquid.

"Have you never been here before?" Rena asked while she peeked at the content of the black cauldron.

"This is my first time here. Even he wouldn't let me in, you should be proud he allows you to come here."

"Then how about you? You are sneaking here." She frowned, blaming him. She didn't want Jean to get mad at her.

"As long as I don't touch anything, it would be fine," Frei said casually.

So they moved up again, climbing the stairs, and arrived at the top floor.

"There.... really is nothing here." Rena stared at the empty room. A sudden breeze welcomed her through the small windows. She walked to one of the windows and got a clear view of the royal palace.

"Beautiful, isn't it? I think Ladylake Castle with its peaceful atmosphere is the most beautiful palace in the seven kingdoms, although others would disagree with me." Frei said, smiling a little as he gazed the distance palace.

"Yeah... It's really beautiful, like coming from fairy tales." She watched the beautiful white castle that was surrounded by the blue shimmering lake.

"Why would other people disagree?" Rena turned her head on the man beside her.

"Well... They said Ardia Kingdom's palace is the most magnificent."

"Oh? What does it look like?" Rena asked.

Frei was thinking for a while before answering, "Isidor Palace is more of ivory color, just like the great wall of Fort Forenza. The palace was made from a single rock, a mega size rock that came from the bottom of the sea. It had an intricate design carved by spirits, the hall was decorated by the jewels given by the dwarves, the throne was made from ancient dragon's bone, and the surrounding garden was built by beastmen. It was a wedding present to King Isidor from The Amethyst Wizard."

After what he just said, there was no way Rena wouldn't be interested.

"Will I be to see it when we arrive at Ardia?" She asked, staring at Frei, who was gazing at the white castle.

"Unfortunately, I don't live near the capital, but you will see it someday," Frei said, turning his head on her, smiling.

Rena nodded and without her able to stop it, a smile spread on her face as well. She quickly realized this and turned around. "I want to practice now."

But in this empty room, there wasn't anything she could use as a target. So, she used the windows as her targets. Her wind magic went through the small windows when the spell hit the marks. She kept practicing like this for about fifteen minutes while Frei sat on the floor, watching her.

"Use me as a practice target." When Frei suddenly said that, Rena's spell hit the wall.

She stopped casting and turned her head to Frei. "Huh?"

"A living target would be a better practice. Attack me as many as you want." He got up from the floor. "Magic doesn't have any effect on me, you can't hurt me even if you attack me with your strongest magic."

"But..." Rena was still speechless. Not sure what she must do, being told to hit Frei with attacking spell.

"I also want to know your progress so far."

In the end, she accepted his suggestion. As she was inhaling a deep breath, feeling the sensation of magic in her body, Frei spoke again, "By the way, you don't look surprisedd."

"Uhm..." Rena compressed her lips, making a thin line. She was considering whether to tell him or no that she had known about his ability from Neel.

"Did that selkie tell you?" Frei quickly guessed the answer.

"Yeah." She nodded.

"Well, this power is troublesome for magicians and magical beings, but that's it." He shrugged. "It's more inconvenient than useful to me."

Rena was quiet. When Frei was speaking, she noticed his tone carried resentment.

"Aren't you angry at me?" He said, the corner of his mouth lifted. "I'm giving you a chance to hit me."

Even if she was angry at him, she didn't want to injure him. But Frei seemed to be confident about it, so she agreed to his suggestion.

Rena lifted her hand to his direction and shouted, "Fireball!"

The ball of flame shot out from her palm, however, it hit the wall. Frei dodged it.

"Eh..." Rena was surprised by his movement.

"I didn't say I could not dodge it." He smirked. "Anytime you failed to hit me, let's reduce the apologies I owe you. That would be... 990 left?"

"Who said you could do that?!" Rena shouted. "Windblade!"

The slashing wind came to Frei direction, yet once again, he evaded it with a little movement. He twirled a little and said, "989."

"I didn't say I agree with that!" She glared at him, frustration building up in her.

"Come on, I still owe you a lot of apologies."

"I'll forgive you if my spell hit you. Icebreath!"

Frei stepped back, avoiding the freezing wind. "It won't be training then. 988."

"Fine! I'll definitely hit you with my spell today! Fireballs!!" She threw seven smaller fireballs to Frei.

Frei was like dancing in the ballroom, avoiding Rena's spell. She didn't give him a chance to rest, kept throwing her spells at him. It was like Rena didn't have a cooling down period, a time before magician could cast another spell after launching a spell. However, no matter how fast she threw her spell on him, Frei managed to dodge all of them.

Rena soon discovered another thing about Frei; his physical ability was quite high. He had a good reflex, not making any unnecessary movement, and he didn't break a sweat even after Rena made him running around the room for an hour.

After all of her attacking spells were completely dodged by him, she suddenly remembered how Jean often threw a water orb at Frei. Even though Frei said magic didn't have any effect on him, he still got wet that one time.

She cast several Fireballs on him, and as she predicted Frei avoided them successfully. But no matter where he moved, he wouldn't be able to dodge this one. Concentrating a big amount of magic power on her palm, she shouted, "Water!"

A torrent of water gushed from her hand, just like a water dam broke free. The water was filling up the room, and although she'd probably need a topologize to Jean later because of this. Rena was too excited right now that she finally able to hit Frei with his spell.

A winning smile appeared on her face as she saw Frei was drenched in water. From his white long sleeve shirt to his brown leather boots, he was soaking wet.

"Good job, Rena. You've successfully made us wet." Instead of getting angry, Frei was smiling. "Now we can take a bath together."

"Eh?!" Realizing her mistake, she said, "I could dry us quickly! Wind!"

A gust of wind kept whirling inside the room before Rena sneezed, "Achoo!"

---

Note: Info dump with romance.

Irie likes this.
  15. Liya

Liya Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 45
    Chapter 45: Bittersweet Taste

Frei and Rena returned to the base of the tower to warm up themselves. After lighting up the fireplace with fire magic, Rena sat cozily on the big couch while the fire was cackling; opening the book she borrowed from Jean. Frei just dropped himself on the couch.

"Can't you sit somewhere else?" She gave him an annoyed look.

"I want to sit next to you." He said shortly.

"You're too close. Don't cross this line." She said, putting a small decoratiom pillow as a line separating her from Frei. "Just remember you still owe me 763 apologies."

Watching her behavior, he couldn't help smiling.

"How many spells have you mastered these past few weeks?" He asked.

She tilted her head and looked above, thinking. "Umm... So far I only knew three attacking spells, but I have mastered all the basic spells, both attribute spells and non-attribute spells."

"I see." Frei nodded once. "Jean is definitely the perfect teacher for you."

"Why?" Rena said, glancing at him.

"Because you are both don't have a certain affinity. Normally, you couldn't master ALL the basic spells."

"Oh..." She was surprised by this information.

"Jean didn't tell you that?" Now it was Frei's turn to be surprised.

She shook her head. "He gave me a book and I consult with him if I have a problem mastering a spell."

Frei dropped his head, his hand was covering his face now. And then Rena saw his shoulder was shaking. "Hahaha... I guess that's expected of Jean."

"Can you explain about it more?" She said.

And so Frei explained that most magicians usually born with certain affinity, there were four major elemental types; fire, water, earth, and air, although there were some who born with more specific elemental attributes, like light, dark, lighting, wood, etc.

"I see... I didn't know that a magician born with a certain affinity." Rena said after listening to Frei's explanation. She had no problem casting all the elemental and non-elemental attributes.

Jean only explained stuff to her when she was asking, and he just let do trials and errors with the spell until Rena got the gist of them.

She was staring blankly at the open book she held in her hand when a thought crossed her mind. This was a good chance to know more about him, Rena lifted her head, turning her gaze on Frei. "How about you? That power of yours, are you a non-attribute type?"

"Me? I'm not a magician. I couldn't cast any spell." He gazed at the fireplace.

"But... That anti-magic, isn't that also a type of magic?"

"Probably. I don't know. Nobody really knows." He shrugged his shoulders. "I was born like this."

"Then... How about your parents?" She asked.

"Died." He answered impassively.

Judging from how he answered her question, she knew he didn't want to talk about it. She looked at the book that was on her lap, unread. When Rena was quiet, Frei turned to her, glancing at the book on her lap.

"What book is that?" He asked.

"The Amethyst Wizard's Life." She answered. "I haven't had a chance to read your books. So, when I see this, I knew I must borrow this."

The neglected open book was being the focused of attention now.

She read the text loudly to distract herself, "Born Alphard Romulus Nile on Deimos year 357 in Ulthran, Alesia Kingdom. He was the first son of The Duke of Ulthran, Romulus Lucere Nile with Rhea Nova Nile..."

"Where is Alesia Kingdom?" She spontaneously asked the question, recalling there were seven kingdoms in this world but hadn't heard about Alesia Kingdom.

"That kingdom doesn't exist anymore. The land where Alesia Kingdom reigned before was now part of Hisute Empire."

"Oh... Ok." She uttered a short acknowledgment that she heard what he said.

Rena kept reading out loud to chase away her nervousness. She knew he was watching her from the side.

She stopped reading as her mouth and throat became dry. By this time, she had learned that this famous wizard was a noble, a genius, and a research maniac... which reminded her of someone. She closed the book and looked outside. The western sky had been painted with a shade of orange and red.

"Are you thirsty? I have something good for you."

Frei moved his hand, pulling something from his pocket.

She frowned, looking at him suspiciously before she recognized the brown leather pouch. It was the pouch she got from Baudric. Rena watched in confusion as Frei opened the pouch. When he pulled his hand, his fingers were pinching one of the Slime Jelly. Frei seemed to shake the jelly with his fingers, but it was actually the monster trying to escape.

"Open your mouth." He said.

"Isn't that for your client?"

"No, this is for my town's Guild Master. I have more than enough to give it to him. And you deserve to get some since you're the one who got these creatures, right?" He tilted his head with that naughty smile plastered on his face.

Rena was curious about the taste of Slime Jelly, but she didn't feel like trying it, especially when he was smiling like that.

"Thanks, but you can have it. I'm not interested." She looked away.

"I can eat it and we can share the taste with… a kiss~" He blew the last word in her ear.

"Give it to me." Her hand moved, trying to snatch the Slime Jelly from Frei. He lifted his hand above, so she couldn't reach it.

"Open your mouth." He said again. "I promise I won't do anything weird."

With a skeptical look, she opened her mouth, she swore he would regret it if he didn't keep his promise.

Frei lifted his hand and shoved the Slime Jelly into her mouth.

"Mmmph!" Rena widened her eyes in surprise when the Slime Jelly exploded in her mouth.

The cooling sensation spread inside her mouth, the taste was slightly bitter, but it was deep and rich. It reminded her of a dark chocolate, although the flavor wasn't the same. It was nothing like she'd ever tasted, and the flavor was in a good combination with the coolness. When she swallowed it, the refreshing feeling spread inside her body.

"How's it?" Frei asked. "How does it taste?"

"It's good! I was surprised when it exploded in my mouth! At first, it was slightly bitter but cool at the same time! When the coolness spread inside my body, the flavor also changed in my mouth, leaving a fruity sweet aftertaste!" She stopped talking for a second. "It's... bittersweet..."

Frei was smiling looking at her. She looked away, blushing, realizing that she got too excited and forgot that she was angry at him.

"Let me tell you something interesting." He said, still smiling at her. "Each Slime Jelly had its own unique flavor. There would never be two Slime Jelly with the same exact flavor."

She looked at him again, interested in what he said.

Frei spoke again, "Some said it depends on what they eat, but isn't it just like a person? Even a twin has their own difference."

"It's amazing..." Rena looked at the Slime Jelly pouch in his hand.

"Do you want more?"

She shook her head. "No, you should try one as well."

"But you ate the one I want to eat." He said.

"Then you shouldn't give it to me." She covered half her face with the book, protecting her lips from Frei. "I'm not sharing it with you."

He smiled again, seeing her reaction. The way she behaved really made him want to tease her, but he refrained to make her more angry at him.

"What?" Rena said, looking at him suspiciously.

"Last night, it didn't seem it was your first kiss."

She glanced up, looking at him. "Well, yeah. It wasn't my first time kissing someone."

It's true that wasn't her first kiss but it was the first time she kissed like that. She couldn't explain how she did it, she was merely following his rhythm and her instinct. And to be accounted, Rena only ever kissed someone else once before.

Hearing her words, his expression froze for a few seconds.

"Who?" He asked, maintaining his calm expression although he suddenly felt annoyed. "Who did you kiss before?"

"Are you sure you want to hear my love story?" She tilted her head and smirked.

She said it confidently, but actually, it was one of her bad memories. It was one of the nightmares she got after drinking Jean's memory potions.

Frei didn't respond to her provocation, so she continued speaking, "I had a boyfriend before. I liked him for a long time... But well, it just didn't work out."

He thought it must be because she got kidnapped and they got separated. He misunderstood her smile as a sad smile of separation.

He didn't know that the truth was far from that. They just broke up naturally, the way normal teenagers on earth ended their relationship.

And it wasn't that kind of heartbreaking story that traumatized Rena to never had any romantic relation again with a guy.

The young Aoki Rena had liked the boy for three years. The boy confessed when they were in 9th grade. She was flying to the 9th cloud at that time. Her first love blooming like sakura flower in the spring. Then they started dating.

And on their first date, they kissed.

But they broke up a few days later.

She broke him up.

Cheating? No, not that thing.

All her friends wondered what happened. But Rena kept her mouth shut, never told anybody about the reason.

The tragic truth is... after her first kiss, she suffered holding herself not to puke... Alas, the guy had a bad breath. She dashed to the bathroom after she got home, ignoring her grandma who kept knocking on the door in worry, brushing her teeth multiple times until her gum bled and hurt. She swore the aftertaste lingered for a few days. That incident broke her maiden heart and she developed PTSD over a kiss ever since.

And another truth Rena would never admit, Frei cured her trauma that night.

After that conversation, both were quiet. Frei was wearing inexplicable expression and Rena didn't understand why.

"Well, it's getting dark, let's go back to the mansion." She said.

---

Irie likes this.
  16. Liya

Liya Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 46
    Chapter 46: The King

During the time when Rena was training with Frei, in Ladylake Castle, Valia Kingdom General of Army's office...

Marquis Jaunice was busy dealing the paperwork, his body was stiff, stuck behind the desk for hours. The King had left all these paperwork for him to do while he casually walking around the city, a habit that had been going on since he was young.

Just like the King, he also didn't like dealing with paperwork, but by the curse of the devil, this mountain of paperwork always given to him. His hair that was done perfectly this morning was slightly messy. He stretched out his stiff body and yawned loudly. Just as he did that, a man came inside the room from the balcony.

"Yo, Val, those papers seem to add up compared to yesterday."

"Your Majesty!" Marquis Jaunice stood up right away when he saw the man who just sneaked into his office. "How many times do I need to remind you not to come from the window!"

"How many times do I need to remind you that I'm the King, I can enter my palace from wherever I want." He said stubbornly. He was big and tall and had a muscular built, his battle scars showing on his body.

Marquis Jaunice dropped his head so low, making a heavy sigh. He felt a small prick on his back muscle, the result of standing abruptly while he was trying to stretch himself. He rubbed his back, thinking that he was getting old. Then he looked at the man who was sitting casually on top of the desk and secretly muttered, "Time passed but this guy never changed."

"Ooh, is your back hurt? The Fearsome General Valentine Jaunice needs some exercise, hehe..." He chuckled, rubbing his stubble beard.

"These past years I got stuck behind the desk, I wonder whose fault is this..." Marquis Jaunice threw a blaming look at the man who had similar eye color as his son. The trait was a reminder that the Jaunice family historically tied with the royal family.

"Aww, don't be like that, it's thanks to you that the palace is more organized! You know I'm only good with my swords and you are always good at administrative work." The King slapped Marquis Jaunice's back trying to encourage him.

"Oww! Stop, His Majesty!" Marquis Jaunice's back got worse instead.

"Stop calling me His Majesty as well. There isn't any other person in the room except you and me." The King said.

"I'm afraid I can't do that... You are The King now."

"Stubborn old mule." The King grinned.

"Stubborn old coot." Marquis Jaunice also grinned.

"By the way, here's something good for your old bone." The King pulled a wine bottle, hidden on his mantle. He opened the cork and poured the shimmering red liquid on an empty glass on the table.

Marquis Jaunice frowned. By just a glance, he knew what was that red liquid was.

"Oh, no, not that." He complained. "I'm not drinking that."

Marquis Jaunice had enough drinking potions in his life that he never wanted to see one again. He was secretly happy when his darling son went to the Magic Academy and stopped forcing him drinking his experimental potions. Although potions generally didn't taste good as they had medical property, his son's was special. Jean, as talented as he was, his brewing skill was equal to goblin. Alas, excluding the flavor, his potions had a better effect than other potions. And so, the royal palace's inventories were full of Jean's potions.

"I swear this is nothing like your brat's. Try it." The King shoved the glass that was quarter filled by the red liquid to Marquis Jaunice.

Marquis Jaunice took it with a skeptical look. He observed the content before gulping it in one go. He froze for a few seconds...

"Owwooooooo!!! I lost all my white hair!!!" Marquis Jaunice shouted loud after feeling the effect of the potion. His messy hair became straight stiff, standing upward like Super Saiyan's. "And what is this refine flavor?!! Fruity, fresh, and mildly sweet! This is the best red potion I've ever drink in my life! It's truly magical!"

Marquis Jaunice grabbed the King's shoulders and shaking it, he had forgotten that the man in front of him was The King. Right now, he was just his childhood friend. "Hey, Beornoth, who made this potion?!"

The man with flaring red hair grinned wide, watching the reaction of Marquis Valentine Jaunice. And then his loud laughter filling up the room. "Hahahahaha! It's been a long time since I didn't see your hair standing straight like that! I knew you would be like this! This amazing potion also made me feel young again!"

"Who made this potion?!" Marquis Jaunice repeated. "You must summon the brewer and make him work in the palace!"

"Hmm... The brewer is Jean." King Beornoth said, still grinning mischievously.

"Huh...?" Marquis Jaunice made a silly expression, as if someone just told him a bird's poop fell on his head. "My Jean...?"

"No, not your Jean. It's another Jean." King Beornoth said, he closed the wine bottle and put it back on his waist pocket.

"Ah... I thought so." Marquis Jaunice made a relieved sigh. "Although I'm sad to acknowledge that it isn't my Jean, there is no way he can make a refined flavor like this. Who is this Jean you speak of?"

"I don't know either. I've never met him. I got this from his pupil named Serena."

"Huh...?" Marquis Jaunice made a silly expression again, as if someone just told him the same bird pooped on his head twice.

And right at that moment, the palace guard knocked onthe office door.

"Marquis Jaunice, your son, Jean, wants to visit you."

Marquis Jaunice still had that confused look on his face. "Eh, huh... Ah! Yes! Let him in!"

The guard opened the door and soon, the gracefully elegant young man strode inside the room, wearing his formal magician robe, a golden ring was used to tie his long silky hair.

"Speak of the devil!" Marquis Jaunice exclaimed.

Jean's steps were halted as he saw his father's hair and the other man who was in the room, then he knelt. "Your Majesty."

"Yeah, yeah. You may stand." King Beornoth waved casually, as if he was sick with all the formality.

Jean stood up after getting permission from the King and he lightly bowed to his father.

"Jean, what brings you here? Is, is it possible that you miss me?" Marquis Jaunice couldn't hide the happy tone in his voice. His strong fatherly love overwhelmed his confusion, and the moment he saw Jean walked into the room, spring flowers grew in his heart.

Jean's face twitched, but he held his emotion in front of King Beornoth. His eyes moved to the King for a second before speaking to Marquis Jaunice, "Father, did any of the Three come here?"

Marquis Jaunice understood who Jean referred to. The three who had indomitable power and influence across this continent. He didn't inform Jean about Him coming even though he knew Jean would be interested, particularly because it would just be a bad news for his son. He knew Jean didn't like him, no, Jean hated him.

"Yeah... Duke Andorra came here a few days ago to watch The Silver Blade Tournament..." Marquis Jaunice said rather awkwardly. He watched Jean's expression changed into a serious one, not a disdainful look he showed when he heard that name brought up.

Jean couldn't tell his father that Duke Andorra was interfering the tournament's contestants because he would need to explain where he got that information. Meant, he must reveal about Serena's magic power and Neel's existence.

"Then father, I'll go watch the tournament as well tomorrow," Jean replied. This was the only way for him to monitor 'that man', making sure he didn't attempt anything weird in the match.

"Oya, are you interested with the match now, Beanie?" King Beornoth said. "Curious who is going to take you home?"

Jean's face twitched again, annoyed. But this man who loved to taunt him more than anyone was The King. He even made this silly bet as soon as he heard about Jean's going to Ardia.

"Well, if thing's going smooth, that merchant friend of yours has a good chance to win the bet. The horse he brought is excellent, he defeated Zee in the last match." King Beornoth said. "How about you visited Zee after this? She was heartbroken that she failed to bring you home."

"..............As you command, Your Majesty," Jean said with a dry flat tone. He was obviously reluctant, and he didn't bother to hide it. But since the King wanted him to visit that barbaric girl, he would.

"No, no, no, please don't take it as a King's will, this is merely a humble thought from this old man."

"Then I won't," Jean curtly replied. Zee was his childhood friend, more like, a forced childhood friend. Since Eleonore often came to chase Clovis, she always brought her cousin with her.

"Hahahahahaha," King Beornoth laughed, holding his stomach. He couldn't help teasing Jean because he was so painfully honest. "I wonder what she sees in you."

"I wonder that as well," Jean said without any courtesy. Since the King didn't want to be addressed as the King, he didn't bother his manner anymore.

After his laughter subdued, King Beornoth stood up from the table he sat on. He walked toward the balcony and said, "Well, this old man will go now. I have a match with my dear daughter this evening. She'll keep pestering me if I don't come."

"Your Majesty, the door is in the opposite direction!" Marquis Jaunice shouted. But King Beornoth had jumped down the balcony and gone from their sight.

---

King Beornoth climbed the tree in the palace's garden, carefully avoiding his retainers. He had been doing this game of hide and seek for years as his way to cope boredom in this peaceful time.

He was sitting on the big tree branch, leaning his back against the tree.

"Ahh, how regrettable, this peaceful time is going to end soon." He gazed up, looking at the golden afternoon light passing through the leaves.

"Although as Beornoth, I'm happy the brat is alive, I'm not particularly happy as a king." King Beornoth made an ironic smile. "As a king, I have obligation to protect this kingdom. Your son is gathering his pawns to challenge the dragon. I'm afraid this time the dragon's fire will burn this continent."

From the giant tree, King Beornoth looked to the far south.

"What will you do if you were me, Leon?" He said, as the wind coming in his direction, blowing his scarlet hair.

----

Irie likes this.
  17. Liya

Liya Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 47
    Chapter 47: Rolling Thunder I

She woke up the next morning with Neel shouting again in her mind. Lately, Neel had become her usual morning alarm, accepting no excuse; he mercilessly woke her up on time.

After she left the room, she met everyone in the main hall, including Jean. Jean wore a very stiff expression as he waited for his carriage; the matter about someone interfering with the one of the tournaments participant undetected disturbed him greatly.

After Jean left, Rena, Frei, Mirra, and Sebastian followed him with another carriage. When the carriages left the mansion, the sky was covered by heavy gray clouds and a strong gust of wind was blowing.

Inside the carriage, Rena asked Frei, "Where does Senka stay? How about visiting him after this match over?"

"Yeah, that's a good idea!" Mirra, who was sitting next to Rena, agreed to her suggestion.

Before Frei said anything, Sebastian answered, "Miss Serena, Senka appreciates your concern. However, please be patient, he would return after it's over."

Rena glanced suspiciously at Sebastian, thinking this situation was really odd; he was forbidden to see him and there was a matter of him getting attack sneakily as well. What was going on exactly?

Sebastian was sitting calmly next to Frei with his usual quiet and serious expression. Rena still could insist stubbornly if it was Frei who said it, but it was one thing when Sebastian said it.

Then she moved her gaze to Frei, Frei was avoiding her gaze, looking outside the window. After they practiced together in the tower, he was acting weird.

Rena sighed, in any way, she was curious about Senka's matter. A thought crossed her mind; she could sneak away together with Mirra, using an excuse like going to the restroom. She was certain Mirra would agree if she asked her.

[No, don't.]

Neel was the one who spoke this time.

(Why...?) Rena frowned.

There was a short pause before Neel spoke again.

[…Senka said he was being followed these past few days, that's why he didn't return to the mansion.]

(What?! Why didn't you tell me sooner?!)

Her eyes widened in surprise. She quickly turned her face to look out the window so they wouldn't notice the change in her expression.

[Because he doesn't want to make you worry. But you still worry about him, might as well tell you then.]

(How did you know this?)

[After I chased away the magician who attacked Senka, I talked a little with him…]

Rena was furious that Neel hid this matter from her. Her instinct told her something serious was going on. A mind attack, being followed… Senka didn't return so he didn't endanger everyone else. Frei and Sebastian seemed to know the reason.

(Who would have done this? Do you have any idea, Neel?)

[No, I don't. I'm sorry...]

When the carriage arrived in front of the Colosseum, and they got off. Rena was still busy with her thoughts. Frei, who noticed this, asked, "What's wrong?"

For a while, she was considering whether to confront this matter or not and then she took a bet to talk it to Frei.

"Can we go somewhere else for a bit?" Rena said.

"Alright," Frei said calmly. Then he turned toward Sebastian and said, "You guys go first, I want to go with Rena."

Sebastian nodded, unsuspicious. Frei had been taking Rena away before Senka's match every time.

Rena was walking slowly with Frei was slightly behind her. Rena rarely initiated something, so he knew there was something she wanted to talk about. He was waiting for Rena to speak.

"Neel said to me Senka was being followed. You know about this, right?"

"...Yes." Frei admitted easily. "If you know about this already, then stay away from Senka from the time being."

"Why?" She said rather pressuring.

"You know he is strong. If Senka couldn't shake this person off, this person must be stronger than him."

"…But, what's going to happen when we're back to the ship??"

"Sebastian and I will take care of this. This is not something for you to worry about, Rena."

She felt annoyed that once again she was cast aside. Frei wanted her help without letting her know the problem they were facing. He wanted her to just sit calmly, like a puppet.

"Why is he being targeted?" She asked again, not wanting to give up.

"This has nothing to do with you. Please, don't worry about it."

And with that last sentence, she snapped at the same time the sound of thunder heard in the sky.

"Don't keep casting me aside!" She clenched her fists. "You want me as your bride, for that reason, I'm already involved!"

Finally, for the first time that day, Frei smiled. A weak faint smile.

"Then… When we return to Ardia safely, let's talk again." Frei said. "Let's go back, Sebastian and Mirra are waiting."

And with that, he ended their talk.

Then Rena dashed, blending with the crowds, leaving Frei on the spot.

"Rena!" He called, chasing her.

She turned on the corner and right at that moment, a hay wagon passed by, obstructing the path between Rena and Frei.

[What are you doing?!]

Neel shouted in her mind but Rena ignored him.

Right now, Rena was pissed that every one of them, not Frei nor Neel, kept casting her aside. They wanted her help yet they shoved her aside, treating her like a fool that can only be used as a tool.

[That's not right! I don't think of you as a tool!]

Neel who could read her mind denying what she thought.

(You might think you don't, but that's how I feel! You want my help to find your sister, you consume my magic power, and what do I gain from it? Nothing!!! You're not even bothering to tell me what you know! Even if you know I'll be worried!)

[.....]

(Why are you quiet now?! You should have known this sooner since you're so great you could read every corner of my mind!)

She ran in the direction where Senka was going the last time she saw him, bumping a lot of people in her way. Then she felt a hand grabbed her arm. She got pulled by the sudden motion and her footsteps stopped. Her first thought was Frei, he finally caught up to her. However, behind her was a man she didn't recognize.

She frowned in a mix of surprise and alert of this stranger. The strangely familiar features, black hair, and black eyes, his long slanted eyes carried a cold gaze, like he was a predator. He was tall and lean, carrying a sword on his waist. His grip on her arm was strong even without exerting any strength, she couldn't shake his hand off.

Rena was puzzled when the man spoke, "I've finally found you."

---

A big man with corn braided hair was sitting in the waiting room before his match began. His double-headed ax lay next to him. He was cracking his knuckles, trying to lessen the tension he felt. It was his third time and last chance of participating in this tournament, he had made all necessary preparations over years to win this tournament.

On his first time, he failed, he was too young and too green. On his second time, he failed again, he was in the same block as Luxus. But this time too, it seemed he would fail again. A new guy who came from nowhere suddenly became a favorite in this tournament.

A dark shadow appeared in the corner of his eyes. Halifax turned his head, looking who was standing at the entrance. A teenager with a silvery white hair, light brown skin, and his eyes that gleamed in the dark was like the color of sunset. At first glance, it was hard to tell whether he was a boy or a girl, but his breaking voice revealed that he was a boy.

"Mister, could you drink this for me?" The boy said.

Halifax's eyes squinted, looking at the transparent bottle with silver liquid in it.

"I ain't drinking that. Go away, brat." Halifax said threateningly. He knew the boy wasn't one of the participants. His appearance reminded Halifax of his opponent today, which made this boy even more suspicious. Halifax thought they were definitely related.

"Then I just need to make you drink it." The boy said, smiling.

Before Halifax could react, the boy had appeared in front of him, choking his neck with one hand. The two meters tall Halifax couldn't shake off that boy’s small hand. The boy pulled the cork with his teeth and poured the liquid into his mouth.

When the liquid dripped into his throat, his eyes bulged out like they would come out from the socket anytime. His eyes turned all white, as the pupil rolled up. His body twitched violently like the man got electrocuted. His jaws stiffened and the rest of the liquid dripping from his mouth. Then the man called Halifax became completely still. There was no liveliness on his face. The man called Halifax was no longer there, he was hollow, a puppet of the boy.

The boy muttered something while showing his evil grin. Then he disappeared, just as fast as he appeared.

---

lkaze and Irie like this.
  18. Irie

Irie Internet Bystander

Reading List:
    Link
    Cliffhanger! NOOOOOOOOOO!!

...well, now that I've come out of lurking on this thread *goes to spam like on all the chapters*