Discussion First Webnovel and how you found Novel Updates?

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by SleepyTy, Aug 6, 2022 at 12:54 AM.

1. SleepyTy

SleepyTy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I started Webnovels probably 2-3 years ago(?)My first Webnovel was Mo Dao Zu Shi. I found it cus I had read some of the manga, and found out there was a novel. I downloaded some novel app and read it there, the translation wasn't finished and I ended up looking up the novel, where I found the novel updates page for it.

Before that I was reading manga instead, or watching anime. I enjoy novels so much more for some reason. I do still read manga occasionally, I haven't watched anime in awhile(but that's bcs I have bad Internet). I'm surprised I didn't get into Webnovels faster cus I loved reading books in school. I should re-read Mo Dao Zu Shi some time.

AnneGriffin and ScipioM like this.
  2. Archaic pickle

Archaic pickle Daoist Heavenly Kimichi

Reading List:
    Link
    Found webnovels in the comment section of beserk on mangafox, lead me to spcenet and read a step into the past. Was a lurker there for years until Ren started wuxiaworld, from there I found ahoupdates, and when they disappeared, found novelupdates on wuxiaworld

SleepyTy and ScipioM like this.
  3. ScipioM

ScipioM :D

Reading List:
    Link
    It all started when I was like 12 and I was looking for free novels to read since I had already cleared out the small library in my town and I had no money to buy books. I don't really remember the specifics of how I got to spcnet, since it was 8 years ago, but it was probably from some manga comment section. From there I started with my first webnovel Coiling Dragon and through that found ahoupdates. Then ahoupdates died since the owner of it abandoned it, and from a novel that I was following at the time I found novelupdates.

SleepyTy likes this.
  4. Guess Who

Guess Who Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I started roughly 6-7 years ago I guess. First novel was Duolou Dalu by Bluesilver trans. Found it because back then the manhua was updated daily and I liked the concept, commentors were raving about how the novel ws better so I went and looked it up. I remember still using browser bookmarks by then to save novels lol.

It wasn't till I read Shield Hero still ongoing and translated by Yoraikun that I found out about NU

Since then it was a spiral and got hooked to other novels and never left :blob_grin::blob_grin:

ScipioM and SleepyTy like this.
  5. sakyuya

sakyuya 【Villain Girl Lover】

Reading List:
    Link
    I started by reading Tales of Demon and God manhwa I found when I'm bored, then I got hooked and want more, when I search for more, I found wuxiaworld and started reading there, week passed by quickly as I read till the latest chapter, feeling unsatisfied, I start to read all the novel that I took interest in wuxiaworld.

The best by far is I shall seal the heavens, it have deep impression on me. After reading for like about a month in wuxiaworld, I once again find myself unable to sate my newfound desire to read, henceforth I found novelupdates and here I am today.

ScipioM and SleepyTy like this.
  6. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Technically the first webnovel I ever read was "Bu Bu Jing Xin", but that was the published version so it probably doesn't count. At the time I didn't even know it was a webnovel. Realistically though my first proper webnovel was 回到明朝當王爺. It's an amazing book that reinvented the Chinese historical novel. And it's thanks to how much I loved this book that I read as many webnovels as I do now. I'm always trying to recapture that same magic, and I actually manage to do so from time to time!

7. AnneGriffin

AnneGriffin Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was recommended a webtoon by an online frd 2 yrs ago and i read it and loved it , and from there started my addiction of manhwas. Then when i ran out of things to read , i found out that the incomplete manhwa i was reading was an adaptation so i looked up the novel , read it and loved it. It was "i became the wife of the monstrous crown prince".From there started my journey of reading countless webnovels. And since i started reading tl work, it was a matter of course for me to find nu.

8. ShadowAscetic

ShadowAscetic Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My first (completed) webnovel was The King's Avatar, that was when Qidi*n first launched international novel app and got viral because of controversy. But my first time reading (not completed) webnovel was an abusive smut BL in livejournal if I recall, around 8 years ago? I was traumatized by that novel so I avoided danmei like a plague. It wasn't until I found Legendary Master's Wife in 2018 that I tried to read danmei again, then I found NU link from my BL group at that time and I jumped into danmei pit.

9. Blossom_Honey

Blossom_Honey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    From what I remember, I think it was Bakarina? I used to read manga a lot (was literally my only hobby lol) and one of the things I would do when bored was go to the new chapter releases shown on the front page of the site and just clicking on stuff that interested me. That was how I found Bakarina and it had like only three? chapters released from what I remember. The whole "isekai into the villainess" was pretty new to me at the time (this was my 2nd one of the genre, first one being Common Sense of a Duke's Daughter manga) and I just kind of read it and it interested me. Some time passed and I kind of remembered it again, wanted to finish it, and somehow I found out there was a novel and from there I guess I kind of stumbled onto NovelUpdates, like I kept seeing it on the results so I clicked (idk this part is very vague and blurry to me). And then, I guess it just kind of went from there lol. Honestly, I was shocked that there was manga based on novels and now I barely read manga anymore, actually I barely read Japanese things unless they're really good, the KR and CN novels were more appealing to me, the JP ones now feel very weird to read, I guess we no longer vibe anymore lol.

10. SleepyTy

SleepyTy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I remember I watched the first season of King's Avatar anime and wanted to see if there was a manga, but there was an novel instead, and that novel happened to be on the novel app I read Mo Dao Zu Shi on, so I read some of that. I got to I think around chapter 100. I can't remember exactly.

11. Tsubaki -

Tsubaki - Unknown Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I looked up the novel for Psychic Detective Yakumo.

12. eeeee

eeeee Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My first novel was moonlight sculptor. Then I found kumiko haha. Then I found a whole bunch of wuxia. Now I'm into krn BL/BG romance fantasy stories xD.

Avgust likes this.
  13. Avgust

Avgust —but time is running out, spend it like gold—

Reading List:
    Link
    I can barely remember my first webnovels. But I still recall how I got to NUF. it started with anime and experiencing cliffhangers so I went to rean manga instead. Then, even that was slow when releasing so I looked for novel versions instead and landed myself in Baka-tsuki. Somehow, I discovered NU and only used it for reading list. Those small thread discussions on top of NU page is how I was lured to the forum.

14. xiaoyigege

xiaoyigege Jiawei is too handsome, I forgot to breathe

Reading List:
    Link
    2017, I started with BG, Hidden Marriage. Then on 2018, I went down the danmei blackhole with my holy trinity> Love you 59 seconds, the Aphrodisiac-carrying man and Pregnant woman next door.
    Novelupdates, maybe 2020? Yeah, 2020. Because of MDZS ¯\_(ツ)_/¯