Non-Fic food overseas

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ORoger, Nov 18, 2018.

1. ORoger

ORoger Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When I was a child traveling with my parents whenever I was in in a foreign country I always refused to eat anything "strange", I would eat only things from my country.

I'm italian so where ever I was I always had various options (there are "Italian" restaurants everywhere, and if wrost comes to wrost I could always eat a pizza, I have never been to a country that didn't have pizza)

The problem was that often things weren't quite right: things that didn't exist in Italy were said to be Italian; things whose name was the only thing they had on the original dish; pasta always overcooked; things that were just wrong; things that looked good but there was something that just wasn't quite right, and so on

As I grew up also thanks to a number of bad experiences, whenever I was abroad I looked for Italian food less and less, and I started to try and often enjoy local specialities a lot more.

For years now when I am abroad I always eat food from that country. I also often try to reproduce at home recipes of dishes that I especially enjoyed. However I kept a small tradition: I would once per trip look for something sold has Italian and try it. This tradition as often gave me stories that I often tell..

Ex: There was that time just last year in Germany were both the cook and owner of the place were Italians so I dared to order something a bit more "complex" an amatriciana, Just to be served one were they clearly used butter. When asked they said it was easier to do it that way in Germany. That a German wouldn't care.

What's your experience with your country food abroad, or with food in a foreign country in general? (Ex.)

I'll add that I also don't go to Japanese and Indian restaurants anymore after having experienced the original. And that after my trip to Texas I almost stopped going to BBQs.

Edit: with the incredible diversity NUF has I thought that this was a good place to ask

Edit2: I am not rich I just enjoy to travel, it usually takes me around a year to pay for a single trip.

Japan India and USA where the only times out of Europe, Japan and India I went with my parents otherwise I could never afford it, and in Texas I did my Erasmus two years ago

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  2. Estarossa

Estarossa 《Master of Dessert》°Resurrected Ghoul°

Reading List:
    Link
    ....That's some low key flexing about being a rich kid and travelling around the whole time.

Get outta here. :blobspy::blobpeek:

3. bear

bear Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, Schnitzel is rather easy to make

Liquidlars likes this.
  4. ORoger

ORoger Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    just enjoy to travel, it usually takes me around a year to pay for a single trip.

Edit:Japan India and USA where the only times out of Europe, Japan and India I went with my parents otherwise I could never afford it, and in Texas I did my Erasmus two years ago

5. Magnus183

Magnus183 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dude I'm Indonesian in Germany.. There's no indonesian restaurant in the city that I live in..

ORoger likes this.
  6. xluferx

xluferx [The writer who writes for fun][Meme lord]

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly dunno if those Peruvian restaurant can even match up with the original here, besides expensive AF and the taste meh.

I stayed in USA for a week and the food drove medrive me crazy for how horrible and tasteless it was, and paid good money for a decent meal which honestly still pretty bad compared to other dishes here bought for alot less.

And no offense when I went to Italy I was truly dissapointed with the food.

ORoger likes this.
  7. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    I try to eat as much local cuisine as possible when I'm traveling. It's nice to try new food and see how they cook something in their own style with fresh local ingredients.

Australian food doesn't really exist overseas since we don't really have a specific food culture. I see rarely see 'Australia' restaurants and even when I see them they're usually just borrowing from other countries. I personally have cereal and bread for breakfast and then rice or noodle dishes dinner but when eating with my family there's never really any set menu since they all cook different stuff (they also like trying out new recipes and experimenting).

Also travelling Asia for food is the best. You can try out so much food for really cheap and the cost of living usually isn't that high so you can still afford a long trip. Tons of stores open early and close late so you can pretty much get food 24/7.

jimmy1989 and ORoger like this.
  8. ORoger

ORoger Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No offense that was exactly the kind of answer I was hoping to see, experiences of people with a different prospective

9. jimmy1989

jimmy1989 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    England
    France
    Belguim
    Germany
    Austria
    Spain
    Cyprus
    Kenya
    Canada
    Mexico
    Portugal
    Philippines
    Thailand
    Afghanistan

Im 29 aint rich travelled all that at 18-24. Work and save money priorities straight.
    Just cause your lazy dont put everyone in the same category as you lol

That to me is a business idea. Good luck.

Also to OP ive always tried other cuisines at least once to say ive tried it. But depending on my mood or what i fancy mainly meat, and lots of meat not fake meat. Or local meat dishes :)

Just living and being picky eating certain things seems a bit boring. And its probably nice but you know sometimes best to mix it up :) which you are and good luck.

Bright_Lucky_Star and ORoger like this.
  10. MrSplashy

MrSplashy Grey Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    I was in Singapore for 3 days my hotel was located on Geylang Street which is a Red Light District from what I heard, I can still taste that chicken that I ate on a canteen/shops that is located north of my hotel and then there's a lot of open pubs(places wherein you can drink) there and yeah you can see pimps there too. Then there's also that one food that I ate, I forgot what it is but it's still on the same place that I ate I think I ordered 3 more of it and packed at least 2 more when I got back to my hotel. Good foods would like to go back and eat them, only concern that I had at that time is that places to eat are far from my hotel so I had to literally walk around and sadly there's no food service or someone to help me order those foods so I had to do it myself.

EDIT: I have always wanted to go to Japan to taste the authentic Japanese foods there, I only once tasted sushi, tempura, onigiri and miso soup(didn't like it, I thought it will taste good but eh) on a Japanese restaurant on our capital city. My Dad traveled through America though, there he witnessed that thing you saw on Japanese restaurant wherein there's a chef in front of you cooking the dishes and etc as for other foods/restaurants he tasted I think he went to Las Vegas and I completely forgot what he ate. Then there's also that time where he went to a Texan steakhouse and goddamn I salivate when I saw it on a video.

ORoger likes this.
  11. Aegis21

Aegis21 Hiki wanna be

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm Indonesian,I frequently went abroad when I was small,places like singapore,malaysia,hong kong,china,and taiwan.
    One thing that I really really remembers is how expensive nasi padang is outside of indonesia,not only the cost,the taste is also lacking.

I like to taste local specialties,so I try to eat local stuff,except those fried bugs or pickled foods,I got gastritis.

12. Magnus183

Reading List:
    Link
    I've never really tried indonesian food outside of Indonesia tho..
    I'm currently studying in Germany. Sometimes the cafeteria have indonesian fried noodles as their menu, but they taste very different. Like legit the one in in Indonesia is way cheaper and more delicious.

13. Kzhckz.

Kzhckz. [Sad] [Angry] [Happy]

Reading List:
    Link
    Authentic rendang from Padang, Indonesia is the best food for my tongue.

You need to taste it once in your life.

I mean, try it once in a small restaurant in Padang.

Any rendang out of Indonesia only got a faint flavour of spices, unlike the real one where you can smell the dish from restaurant's door.

I've tried rendang made in Thailand, Singapore, Australia, Hongkong, Japan, Russia and America, each places got different taste that feels something's missing.

Note : I travel around following my dad, while he's working, i walk around.

Second generation piece of shit.

14. Estarossa

Reading List:
    Link
    I work graveyard shift and put in 12 hours a day bro, nothing lazy there.

Bright_Lucky_Star likes this.
  15. Aegis21

Aegis21 Hiki wanna be

Reading List:
    Link
    The taste of indonesian food outside is so bad to me that I think I can make better ones only with royco.:LOL:

16. Magnus183

Reading List:
    Link
    Dude my friend sometime eats rice with royco only just to save Money hahaha

Aegis21 likes this.
  17. Aegis21

Aegis21 Hiki wanna be

Reading List:
    Link
    Rice and royco soup is pretty nice for an extra tight budget feed

18. jimmy1989

jimmy1989 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You having a go at someone for travelling and enjoying themselves cause you cant. Maybe not lazy. jelousy.

19. Estarossa

Reading List:
    Link
    Its called a joke, not a funny one but a joke nonetheless. Its a general chat thread.

For a guy who says hes 29 and travelled the world, you dont have much life experience.

20. VOLX98

VOLX98 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's been fine where I went, twas just like going home even if it's another country