Discussion For BL readers, either novel or manhua/hwa/nga

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by xiao Yi, Jul 25, 2022.

1. xiao Yi

xiao Yi I told you to forget me but you stayed by my side.

Reading List:
    Link
    Me and my thoughts
    As I always say, some (maybe all) BL readers were definitely lowkey M. And I say, a big M.
    Like how we make abusive plots famous. Abusive gong/seme, abused shou/uke, and when I say abuse its sexual, physical and mental abuse!, stockholm syndrome, r//p//, humiliation, incest, beastialility, rebirth revenge trope(shou), rebirth 'I want to change the past and love you now'trope(gong), B/D//S/M...like are we seriously sickos or what_(з」∠)_

Like how twinny @Ashley27 recommended Black Lotus to me...which was actually a part of a series/Shared Uni, abusive gong series/ shared universe and its famous! Yeah, we all love that satisfaction of the shou wanting to change his life and stop being the abused shou BUT THEN the gong will realize how much he loves the shou blah blah blah and its back to zero for the shou but the gong is no longer abusive, but still manipulative and obsessed.

Yeah, we all love that second chance trope and those whatnot but come on, Painter of the Night? Yeah, the gong had a sad past and everything but what about the shou? Being forced everytime...suffering from physical and mental abuse even sexual abuse.. But we all know retsam's history so we feel pity..yet its all messed up! Just because its a male and male relationship, is it okay for the bottom to suffer abuse...just because he is also male? Is that even worth the fame? Yeah, the lightsabers can cause nosebleed and the acts were definitely hot but what about the plot? Was is worth it?

Like how Killing Stalking became a mainstream Webtoon...my goodness! I don't know if those who had read that really understood or even just read the story and stop there like how I did, or were just curious because of the hype and fame of the story.

I've read somewhere..You are what you read. Yes, its fiction. Yes, its not real. But reading will always have a huge impact in your mental health and your attitude. Imagine reading a full set of abusive stories for an entire month.

Well, I will buy you a cup of coffee if you say that you ain't sick in the head to do that.
    Well, just saying.

PS..wrote this when I shared something..
    So messed up??uhmm what's happening to this community (not generalized)?? So into sadomasochism and psychos, even the so-called cheater ml but changes in the end just to give the story a happy ending sorry, lowkey not into these kinds of hell. Yes, I am into knives and angst but not quite this deep. And also, I am into psychos but not the annoying ones. Yes, its fiction. But should you abuse yourself to achieve that level of satisfaction? I don't think you deserve that as a reader. Wtg to those author who's into these though, y'all definitely have a strong heart.

2. SpeedGirl

SpeedGirl Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel you so much! My thoughts are just like that! Do you love torture so much? Why so much drama and abuse?
    Just why?

By.Eve and xiao Yi like this.
  3. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    I dont like abusive plot
    I was reading bad memories manhua and it's gonna give me bad memories but I dont wanna drop it because I wanna see ml know that he did wrong and mc know that he did wrong I just want them to stop hating each other and keeping all their frustrations to themselves grrrrrr

xiao Yi likes this.
  4. xiao Yi

Reading List:
    Link
    Finally! Someone felt the same way _(з」∠)_ others? They will just justify that its just fiction. But must you abuse your own mentality just because of something that was made famous to earn more? I'm not saying not to support the artists and authors. But hyping is the reader's role. Why must we hype something that damaging to the ones younger than us?

That's what I'm saying. We all want that satisfaction when the ML discovers he loves the MC. Yet??? After all the abuse the MC went through? Was that even satisfaction? _(з」∠)_

By.Eve likes this.
  5. Mew-Lidia9

Mew-Lidia9 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    And people seem to be getting desensitized or something, as I've started reading some stories, which in reviews and spoilers say that there is no angst/ is angst free/ is a lighthearted read and similar comments, when at least at the start of the story it hurts a dang lot. So I can assume there are some people who read such heavy angst stuff that they don't really view smaller 'ouchies' as angst anymore.

I tried reading the raws of after the substitute faked his death (or something) last monday, and pretty much felt like sh*t the whole day (you could practically see a dark cloud hanging over my head lol), so how could people regularly abuse themselves like that?

xiao Yi likes this.
  6. wandrer

wandrer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    BDSM is abuse?

xiao Yi likes this.
  7. Zombiiecat

Zombiiecat Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I know what you mean. I personally can't handle the constant abuse the MC will go through. If I have a story like that bookmarked, I don't know why I would. Might be a good plot. Other than that, I like good fluff stories. Or happy ending stories.

If it's gonna be a second chance story, why couldn't they give the MC another ML. I'm pretty sure there's plenty that can be better.

Yall know what, I'm tired of the rich ML. I'm like, "Don't be rich. Don't be rich. Don't be rich..." and BAM! They're rich. Haha.

I went off topic. Anyways. I know what you mean.

By.Eve and xiao Yi like this.
  8. xiao Yi

Reading List:
    Link
    Its a scary thought right. Imagine, being a young reader who wants to become a part of what's in, then reads something like stockholm syndrome where being abused is fine as long as there is consent. Like?? How traumatic would that be, right

No, but some author's use bdsm as the main theme but doesn't really get it. Just writing about bondage and its tagged as bdsm when it shouldn't be liked that. I've read a certain novel where the author researched about bdsm and talked to people who engaged in bdsm and the outcome was different from what WE know about bdsm.

My goodness! This (⌒o⌒)

9. Mew-Lidia9

Mew-Lidia9 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No, but most people don't understand it, and then you get people writing off abusive (and terrible) relationships as some 'kinky BDSM' or something. Example 50shades

Zombiiecat, wandrer and xiao Yi like this.
  10. xiao Yi

Reading List:
    Link
    No, but some author's use bdsm as the main theme but doesn't really get it. Just writing about bondage and its tagged as bdsm when it shouldn't be liked that. I've read a certain novel where the author researched about bdsm and talked to people who engaged in bdsm and the outcome was different from what WE k

Exactly.

wandrer and Mew-Lidia9 like this.
  11. wandrer

wandrer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah, this yes I get it. They want to explore it but they don't talk about rules, limits or safewords!! If you want to do it why not do it properly. When people say bdsm they mostly talk about sadism or ropes and stuff. They really need to do their research.
    Yes yes. I got to know bdsm (the word) because of this book. I didn't hate it but I was also uncomfortable that time. But then I read some really good ones and got to know about bdsm clubs and dominants and submissives, different types of plays, subdrop, domdrop and aftercare. Those novels changed my views and I even thought that, damn this is beautiful.
    I think the people writing bdsm as abusive and stuff only know about the 'red room of pain'.
    Yes. Me too! It was really different. If someone wants to know about bdsm and somebody suggested 50shades they might get sacred off (Compared to good ones).

I don't like novels where Mc is used as a replacement for the ml's white moonlight. And even if Mc knows that he's being used it's still wrong.
    And I don't touch the ones with 'r*** victim turns lovers'. This I especially hate. When I read this first time (bxg novel) I was blank for a moment and then turned back to confirm that it was the guy who rap*** her that she was accepting! Like what? And I left it at that. Many have this, that seme was drunk forced himself on uke who later forgave him when because he was drunk. How does that make it ok? That guy knows his alcohol tolerance still kept on drinking then forces himself on someone. If you know you can't handle it why drink so much! And in omegaverse or more stories seme is not so drunk that he don't know what he's doing when in the morning he wakes up he ruthlessly sent uke away but then somehow finds out he's pregnant and goes running back to him saying, the child is mine too and I have the 'right' to see him... and Mc thinks that yeah I can't support him or that ml is so rich that even going to court might not work so he agrees. And then during his pregnancy or after the baby is born they somehow fall in love? Haha what bullsh**.

Ugh and the readers who hype these types of works please stop. People really pay more attention to ratings and reviews. They might get traumatized! (Maybe but too much but still). Yes, the Painter of the Night and other novels/ manhua/ etc. So what if they had a sad past or currently they are not in a good state, is it OK to abuse your partner? And then you don't even properly regret or apologize just brush it off? Many reviews are like I am not defending his actions but you know he had a shitty past. It's really sad when they love you but abuse is what they get. Or they were just an innocent passersby but get dragged into all the mess. Hey now when the shou will recall his past after this abuse he'll say ah you know I had a pretty shitty past.
    (PS: I ranted too much)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2022
    xiao Yi likes this.
  12. ShadowAscetic

ShadowAscetic Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I love BL rebirth revenge stories but I do hate it when MC was like: "Um, he become a good man now should we start over?". I'm like, God gave you the opportunity to be reborn yet you still choose to be with him? There are a lot of people who want to change their fate yet you still want to jump into the same pit?? Damn it, why don't you give your rebirth ticket to me!! XD

That's aside, I'm quite selective in reading novel. Once I found Abusive Relationship tag on my reading list, I would X the title in a heartbeat. Power Couple is my Ninja way.

Zombiiecat and xiao Yi like this.
  13. xiao Yi

Reading List:
    Link
    Its a very good rant and other readers must agree. We should open our eyes to hype something that's great for us and our younglings.

OMG! YES TO POWER COUPLE ~\(≧▽≦)/~ I even love power bottoms with funny ML. Like the ML from Livebroadcasting Raising Dragons, he is one of the most shameless dragon ML EVER! But I liked him that way

14. whimsandfantasies

whimsandfantasies Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree with all the above comments. Why make your own life terrible? Its not like life is not dramatic enough and then, people will go for those unreasonable, need-to-consult-a-doctor lovers and then, the readers will have to undergo a ridiculous journey of hurting each other. I personally never read such novels. never have nor will.
    As for bdsm, I have read a number of good novels on it and I personally like that genre. What certain authors show is not bdsm but pure perversion and disrespet for the other party. Bdsm is a kink that is based on mutual understanding and most importantly CONSENT.

xiao Yi likes this.
  15. LeniSnow

LeniSnow New Pretty Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I love BL but I don't read abuse and don't like second chances because it sounds quite low brainer. It's hard for me to read about the main conflict to be something that the MC themselves created(forcefully married the ML etc. I pity the ML instead), put themselves into, something they could have control over but their emotions took over, self pitiful MCs that the world seems to hate and the author will do anything to make them suffer so much so the readers will hate all the other characters and so they can pity the MC. MCs like that should read self help books like by Eckhart Tolle or Neville Goddard so they learn self respect.

xiao Yi likes this.
  16. AnneGriffin

AnneGriffin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I do read those kind of stuff sometimes and i have concluded that it do effect me in a negative way like lowering the moral bottom lines of my mind . So i have started avoiding the more extreme ones now and try to read more healthy relationships. I read angst that has a very strong mc and i quit novels that portray the mc as too helpless as it leaves an uncomfortable taste in my mouth.

xiao Yi likes this.
  17. Accismus

Accismus Icarus

Reading List:
    Link
    I personally am a fan of angst. But when the authors mix angst with nonsense and unreasonable romance it takes away the charm of angst.
    (Best angst is slag gong regretting everything and remembering his bad deeds but no way of correcting it because the shou is already dead.its like petty revenge for me. Like serves you right you asshole.)

But yes most authors don't research bdsm and write whatever they think bdsm is and is mostly copy past of 50 shades which is worst representation of bdms community. Like research it a bit authors it's not all about abusive sex. It's about comfort too. Almost never see aftercare in so called bdsm scenes in novels which actually is an important part of irl bdsm lifestyle.

And yes about abuse and r@pe, it's as if without it authors can't write angst or without it the story is incomplete. I believe they don't really know the impact these things have on people in reality so they can't imagine where they are wrong and exactly how to write it. I mean that is abuse and rape. It's leaves serious trauma hell even simple eve teasing also leaves subtle trauma and fear let alone something as huge as that. More so in male x male relationships because in society they can not openly admit to it nor do anyone wants to admit to it .I forgot my initiL point and kept on ranting sorry.

xiao Yi likes this.
  18. Lunaix

Lunaix Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I like abusive plots because I want to cry. Need a little angst in my life B)

xiao Yi likes this.
  19. By.Eve

By.Eve [Eve are Ieve]

Reading List:
    Link
    When i was first reading BL with rape or just like what you are told... My head stop loading and freeze at that point then i got ... :blobdizzy:

And i will prefer a gong just like in manhwa and manga
    My Family’s Omega Has Just Grown Up
    Strongly Pampered Male Wife
    The General Loves to Collect Little Red Flowers
    Love Shuttle
    The Boy and The Wolf
    Tadaima okaeri
    Takane no hana...
    Let's exclude for the rich,,,
    What i like from the Semes are, how caring they are to the spouse in the end, how they respect and faithfull to their spouse. And their fluffy is so sweet...

I ok

20. MidstNost

MidstNost 【 Reigen's Saltshaker 】【 Lingtian Raider 】

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh nah.. if a novel is like that BL or not I insta-drop it.