Resolved For translators: Are Chinese light novels written in pinyin?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Illisaide, Sep 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Illisaide

Illisaide ╰(✧∇✧╰) Venti!~

Reading List:
    Link
    Because to be eligible for...something I want, I need to be at least conversationally fluent in speech in at least 5 languages. I’ve got 3 (English, Vietnamese, and Spanish) and am currently making my way in French. I’ve decided on Chinese Mandarin as the fifth language (apparently it’s the #1 language in the business world, even more so than English! Who knew!).

But I’m also an avid fan of these translated novels, and thought: why not learn some additional reading/writing so I don’t have to MTL? (Cause seriously, some of those translations DON’T MAKE SENSE!) I’ve downloaded Rosetta Stone, but according to some accounts online, the default for it is pinyin and nothing else. And apparently the pinyin is a cheat? There’s a toggle somewhere so that the lessons include “true Chinese writing” (quoting from a blog) which I know is what the Names are generally written in. However, the toggle means “challenging” instead of “easy” mode.

So here’s my situation: I don’t actually NEED to learn the writing system for my RL goals. I’m fine as long as I can orally converse. I want to because I’m tired of MTL. I’m not that far along, so I want to know if the novels are written in pinyin or a combination of pinyin and that other CN writing system so I can learn it correctly as needed from the very beginning.

Smilingly likes this.
  2. GotDied

GotDied Just a friendly rotten hermit~

Reading List:
    Link
    Doomsday Wonderland

Description:
    “I think… my boyfriend is trying to kill me,” Lin Sanjiu muttered.

As she thought about that rich, handsome, and gentle boyfriend of hers, she could not help but tremble all over.

At the present, someone close to her had personally raised the curtains to an apocalyptic hell, and slowly, it was creeping up to her.

—-

What if earth devolved into a apocalyptic hellhole? What if you found out you not only have to survive just one apocalyptic event but have to struggle through multiple worlds with different end-world scenarios? And you get to meet more superpowered crazies than you can imagine!

Presenting the worst nightmare that your weird doomsday prepper neighbour with a bunker full of canned beans could have, Doomsday Wonderland is a novel filled with subverted tropes, non-OP characters and a female friendly label which offends all politically correct fanatics.

As ‘lucky’ humans evolved to posthumans with abilities to adapt to the New World or mutate into disgusting duoluozhongs to survive, follow Lin Sanjiu as she struggle through the multiple challenges to just live one more day… and make sense of this New World that will no longer be the same.

3. IceLight303

IceLight303 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Um pinging is the phonetic spelling for foreigners. In reality, they are in in characters which each character represents to 2 to 3 letters. Then each character can have several meanings and you just have to kind of learn with each character connected with another character means.. So to answer your question no. Also as someone in the business world english is the main language used.

Illisaide likes this.
  4. Illisaide

Illisaide ╰(✧∇✧╰) Venti!~

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks!

5. BurgerKong

BurgerKong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chinese written in only pinyin would be incomprehensible even with tonal marks. I imagine they instead restrict the use of characters to those known by middle and high school students, same as Japanese.

6. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    whut

nothing is written in pinyin unless you're trying to teach foreigners how to pronounce your words

7. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    When Ai-chan read the title of the thread, Ai-chan thought "What? That question doesn't make sense!" But when Ai-chan considered that this question was most likely asked by a foreigner who doesn't know anything about Chinese, it is understandable.

This is how Chinese novels look like: 漫画
    This is pinyin: màn huà
    This is English translation: cartoon

It is almost impossible to see novels being written in pinyin, with the only possibility being children books aimed for children of foreigners.

And also, 'light novel' (raito noberu) is a completely Japanese term, it's a legal and commercial term for Japanese young adults novel. For Chinese young adults novel, they're called 輕小說 (qing xiaoshuo), 'light fiction'. In English-speaking countries, 'light novel' is specifically and commercially referring to Japanese light novel only.

8. Defiring

Defiring Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Isn't Pinyin the equivalent of romaji, though? I don't think that will be of any use for writing, but it might help you learn the speaking part.

9. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Pinyin is closer to furigana in that it's taught to children as a tool to make it easier to learn Chinese characters and pronunciation. But it's not going to be like Japanese light novels which are mostly written in kana with any kanji being given their furigana forms as well. But while kanji are based on hanzi, they don't serve the same purpose so the use of pinyin outside of learning environments is going to be rare.

Having said that, there was a time when it was seriously proposed that the PRC should adopt pinyin and replace hanzi with it entirely. That idea was dropped because it was completely unworkable.

Defiring likes this.
  10. nonononononono

nonononononono NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

Reading List:
    Link
    Google translate can convert chapters into pure Pinyin, I'm not sure if this is what you want.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.