TV Forgotten old Chinese drama

Discussion in 'TV/Movies Discussion' started by BlancFrost, Jun 12, 2017.

1. BlancFrost

BlancFrost ❄Middle child: Carm & Dev + Sio's FSIL ❄

Reading List:
    Link
    Alright I have finally decided to make a thread about this drama I watched years and years ago. Think it might be over 10 years but I'm not too sure. The details I can remember are as follows:

1. It's a period Chinese drama set roughly in the Tang Dynasty.
    2. Two girls were getting married on the same day and they had no relation to each other at all.
    3. One girl is from a wealthy family and was going to marry a wealthy young master that was very sick.
    4. The other girl is from a relatively poor family (she knows a bit of martial arts but isn't talented in that field) and she was going to marry a General.
    5. It starts raining on the day of the wedding procession (where they carry the palanquin with fan fare to the husbands house).
    6. Both parties take shelter in a temple, with the palanquin holders leaving the palanquins in the temple to keep them dry.
    7. The rain stops and the palanquin holders come back in and continue the wedding procession.
    8. This is where the mix up happens. The palanquin holders accidentally bring the wrong bride to the wrong groom and they marry with no one being the wiser.
    9. It isn't until the next day that the girls realised they have been switched.

I can't really remember what happened in the middle just that the girl (who was supposed to marry the wealthy guy and ended up marrying the General) goes to find the General at his base as he isn't even home to marry her into the house. She finds him by dressing up as a "guy" and going into the military camp. (seriously she couldn't pass of as a guy at all but there you have it).

The other girl from the poor family hasn't read many books and tries to pass off as knowledgeable and somehow succeeds through by sheer luck when she is tested in front of all the elders (who insisted she show her worth).

Hmm that's about it. I have searched through Google for it but I can't remember any of the actors names or even a slither of the title. This is pretty much a shot in the dark.

2. kuroryuu

kuroryuu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    this sounds real familiar but I cannot think of it to save my life. I think this is also a novel...don't know the title to that either...

BlancFrost likes this.
  3. MadHatter

MadHatter [WindyWeather]

Reading List:
    Link
    BlancFrost likes this.
  4. ox

ox Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Shang Cuo Hua Jiao Jia Dui Lang
    I think this is the one you are looking for

MadHatter, runsing and BlancFrost like this.
  5. BlancFrost

Reading List:
    Link
    Seems it was based on an old folk lore.
    It was that one! I reversed searched the image and found the title of the drama~! Thanks so much!

Lol it was actually from 2001 and the switch was switching of brides (unintentionally) because they had the same palanquin. The title of the drama is:
    Wrong Carriage, Right Groom
    Oh who? Lol it would be better to tag them~

MadHatter likes this.
  6. BlancFrost

Reading List:
    Link
    :eek: Your first post and it is to help me? Aw thanks for looking it up. I'm glad to finally have the name for this drama. It had been bugging me when I actually remembered I was looking for it.

7. ox

ox Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I really liked the drama and wanted to reply but I had to make an account. Glad I can help

Redo, runsing and BlancFrost like this.
  8. BlancFrost

Reading List:
    Link
    Aw that's so sweet~ Thank you very much! Mm it was a really good drama, I was getting bored of the dramas out now that had predictable plot lines and were just a bit too...well I can't find the word I guess they just didn't have a moral to the story that I actually found good.
    Now that you made an account you can add to your reading list!

ox likes this.
  9. ox

ox Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah~ I know right. Now at days only the books can really satisfy me, while the dramas now at days aren't as great as they used to be or it's also that I'm quite picky XD

10. BlancFrost

Reading List:
    Link
    *like*

I hit the like limit lol...

That's why I turned to light novels too, there are a lot of them and some of them can be rather good. Nah if you're picky then so am I. I get bored of the new dramas now and they just can't hold my attention. Old dramas really are the best because they had something we can learn from them. Watching a drama that just wastes time doesn't help anyone at all XD lol that's my opinion anyway~

ox likes this.
  11. kuroryuu

Reading List:
    Link
    Great now we have the title!!(y) And now let us see where we can find the drama!

12. ox

ox Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When I first watched it it was on YouTube and eng subbed but now I think there is only a few episodes up

13. kuroryuu

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah I just got through looking for it and it was only on YouTube...all videos have been removed ...it amazes me how you can always find the crappy shows every where but the goods ones you can't even buy them.

14. ox

ox Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah~ true, true T.T
    I always try any way possible to search them up whether it's the English name pinyin name or the Chinese character name I'll search them up
    Sometimes it work other times not or if I'm lucky I get clips and teasers

15. Ruyi

Ruyi translator at CG

Reading List:
    Link
    Oooh I remember this drama! Was one of my favs. I thought both actresses were so pretty at the time too~

Added tidbits include the fact that the brides got mixed up because they talked with their veils off at the temple and ended up putting on each other's veils when it was time to go. Since the servants couldn't see their faces, they took them to their respective wedding sedans based on the veils they were wearing.

Additionally, the wealthy husband was only feigning his illness and actually knows martial arts. On the wedding night the husband and wife almost got into a fight. They also fake the "first night" but having him cut his thumb and drip blood on the sheets. There's also some relative (cousin or uncle??) who's plotting against him in the family and tries to kill the old matriarch.

The girl who ended up married to the general also somehow ends up helping with medical aid in the army camp. And then somehow the general gets smitten with her once he realizes girls aren't all nuisances/burdens.

There are also two major side characters I remember, a couple who are both doctors/martial arts experts (the guy doctor is the one who helps the general's wife into the military in the first place), but I don't remember much beyond the fact that they were a cool couple who also got a happy ending.

Overall, it was a funny and cute series with a catchy theme song. I thought the family schemes were resolved rather anticlimactically on the wealthy son/martial arts daughter side, but I'm a sucker for happy endings so good for both brides~ >u<

16. BlancFrost

Reading List:
    Link
    Titles are everything in finding out where to watch them \o/
    I did search youtube to see if it was the one I remembered and there were a few episodes up in parts with subtitles. I'll check other platforms and see if I can find it all.
    Aw you checked everything? That's too bad~ Hopefully I can find something with a little more digging but it seems that we won't be lucky with this.
    Yeah, all these weird (*cough* not as good shows) get subbed but good old ones are usually left in the dust.
    Oh Ruyi~ yeah it was a pretty good drama. Good plotline too. Lol happy endings are the best, having tragedy is no fun when you watch a drama. Especially when the starts are sometimes good but the endings turn out weird.

17. kuroryuu

Reading List:
    Link
    I did a google and a yahoo search :( all I got were some pretty pictures....

18. BlancFrost

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol yeah I searched as well, but nothing could be found. Even the one on YouTube was taken down and there are only a couple of subbed episodes. I think everything else was without subs. Lots of good old dramas are left in the dust which is rather sad~