Free [FREE] Borderlands The Handsome Collection - Epic Store

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Sabruness, May 28, 2020.

1. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I didn’t say it’d be unsafe, lol.

Exclusive titles are the only problem I have with them. It might not bother you, personally, and if not then feel free to grab the game. But for those of us with thousands of dollars invested in Steam game libraries, those of us who like to keep games in one place instead of have a dozen different launchers and platforms installed, or even just those of us who care about monopolies and anti-consumer business practices, and the freedom of choice, it’s pretty annoying that they’re making back room deals to keep tons of new titles exclusively on their store.

2. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    You do know Epic arent the only ones who do exclusive deals to keep games on a single platform right?.
    Also, consider that for many years most physical copies of PC games (back when they were more common) required steam to be able to be installed and played. I dont know about you but to me, that always sounded real questionable and borderline monopolistic.

For exclusives, some developers and/or publishers chase the money as making games isnt cheap. If Epic can offer then more money in exchange for an exclusivity period, it's the devs/publishers prerogative to choose what's best for their situation.

At least you articulated a cohesive argument. Even now, i still come across steam fanboys who are only able to spout ridiculous conspiracy theories to support their hate boners for Epic.

Ral likes this.
  3. Ral

Ral Not a Well-Known Member ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reading List:
    Link
    Yea, I don't even have a steam account, so that doesn't bother me. And from what I've read it seems that Epic is better for developers since they take 12% of the purchase, while steam gets 30...
    But I do find multiple launchers annoying too - I much rather liked the old era when there were no store launchers and direct downloads.
    Part of why I never got into steam was that launcher aversion, actually. Though, mostly, it was because I haven't found that many games that interested me in the past 10 years or so.
    Speaking of monopolies, Steam basically had the monopoly before Epic launched. Maybe not as exclusive games (though IDK really), but they definitely had game store market monopoly - sure there were others, but these were mostly for their own games (ubisoft) or older ones, or both (gog). Can't really mention more since like I said, I haven't really been gaming much in the past decade.
    ~~Edit~~
    @ the unsafe part - LOL. I actually misread sale for safe xD

4. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Steam, like all platforms other than GoG’s, is a form of DRM that manages your games the way almost all other services do. Is DRM a good business practice, either? No. Not at all. And I’ll gladly join you on the picket lines for that argument. But to say it makes Steam worse than or the same as Epic is... just wrong. Completely out of left field, really.

And you’re right. A large part of the blame for this most recent bout of anti-consumerism falls squarely on the shoulders of the developers and publishers who agreed to these deals with Epic. A note here - not all developers were happy when their publishers made that decision without consulting them, whereas others were part of it.

... Thought it may sound like it, I’m not the biggest fan of Steam. There are things I don’t like about the platform. Things I wish it did better. I dislike Epic quite a bit because of these exclusivity deals, but it’s not like I’d hate to see more legitimate competition with Steam. Just not like this.

GoG had the right idea. They offer all their games DRM free. Use their launcher if
    you want, or don’t. Download the games and play them where and when you like. They’re yours, you bought them, and far be it from them to “manage your digital rights”. ... Hell, they even tried to offer Steam library integration once, where buying the games on one of the two would mean you had them on both. Didn’t work out, but hey, they tried. ... They’re really not quite on Steam’s level, mainly due to new release restrictions and fewer features, but they’re at least more pro-consumer.

It’s true, Steam does have a fair monopoly. And Epic couldn’t compete with that any other way, I guess. Hell - they certainly can’t compete with their platform. Last I checked, they had essentially none of Steam’s features. No user reviews for games, no achievements, no community market or workshop, no cloud saving, etc, etc. They may or may not have improved on that since, but when they started making these deals they had nothing to compare themselves to Steam with. This was really the only way they were going to get people onto their platform. Still, that doesn’t mean this has been at all fair to consumers.

Damn. Double post. Ah, well. I’ll merge them in a bit.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    ongoingwhy likes this.
  5. Chrono Vlad

Chrono Vlad 『Banned From Drinking』

Reading List:
    Link
    Nice try Tencent you won't fool me :blobpeek:

Westeller and ongoingwhy like this.