Free [Free] Carcassonne and Ticket to Ride on Epic (through Feb 13)

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by bob3002, Feb 6, 2020.

1. bob3002

bob3002 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Two award-winning board games adapted to PC, free on the Epic Store this week.

Carcassonne - Carcassonne is a tile-placement game in which the players draw and place a tile with a piece of southern French landscape on it. The tile might feature a city, a road, a cloister, grassland or some combination thereof, and it must be placed adjacent to tiles that have already been played, in such a way that cities are connected to cities, roads to roads, etcetera. Having placed a tile, the player can then decide to place one of his meeples on one of the areas on it: on the city as a knight, on the road as a robber, on a cloister as a monk, or on the grass as a farmer. When that area is complete, that meeple scores points for its owner.

Ticket to Ride - Players collect cards of various types of train cars they then use to claim railway routes in North America. The longer the routes, the more points they earn. Additional points come to those who fulfill Destination Tickets – goal cards that connect distant cities; and to the player who builds the longest continuous route.

No sign of Pandemic, another award-winning board-game adaptation that was promised last week. It might not be good press considering the coronavirus thing going around. In fact, Epic doesn't appear to be selling that game at all at this point in time.

I should note that both games have a lot of non-free DLC packs, some of which I've played in board-game form. They were fun additions to gameplay but the base games alone are great as well.

Next week's giveaway seems to be Kingdom Come: Deliverance and Aztez.

Sabruness, Qiun, raitei and 1 other person like this.
  2. Okuri Ookami

Okuri Ookami 'Chi Chi Chi' calls the Sparrow

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm VERY surprised Kingdom Come: Deliverance is on the next free games list. I wanted to play it but I never had the specs for it. I'm getting a new computer some time soon so maybe I'll get the chance.

Thanks for the reminder

3. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    i was wondering about pandemic but considering how much the coronavirus has snownballed in the last week, i'm not surprised it's temp vanished from the store

4. bob3002

bob3002 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm 100% speculating in my above post, but considering that the creators of Plague Inc. have gotten some backlash for their years-old game it wouldn't surprise me if the suits at EGS decided to pull the Pandemic game to not get bad press. This is despite the fact that Pandemic is about curing and treating diseases, not spreading them a la Plague Inc.

Sabruness likes this.
  5. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    well, people can get hysterical about anything even remotely related when it's something like this. better safe than sorry i guess?