Recommendations GameLit Novels

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by magecraft_unleashed, Oct 2, 2019.

1. magecraft_unleashed

magecraft_unleashed Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello. As the title says, I want to read GameLit novels

I would like to read works that do not focus so much on visual elements such as status screens, job/class or levels, such as Legend and Rebuild World.

According to the RRL website:
    • GameLit: Novels set in game-like worlds of any game genre. Does not need to heavily focus on visual statistics.
    • LitRPG: Novels where linear progression, such as levels, are main themes of the story. Almost always shows stat boxes, EXP gain, and other notifications.

2. ClearMadness

ClearMadness Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you're looking for stuff from RRL, The Scourged Earth is a fairly long and well-written story that doesn't depend on its game elements. Its a deep take on a post-apocalyptic litrpg.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    magecraft_unleashed likes this.
  3. Stiw99

Stiw99 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  4. xluferx

xluferx [The writer who writes for fun][Meme lord]

Reading List:
    Link
    Scribble hub my fellow nuffie, though sadly the most popular ones are 18+

5. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Awaken Online is a novel series you can buy on Amazon. The first volume is free for Amazon Prime or Kindle Unlimited users, or otherwise $2.99, which is an absolute steal for an excellent GameLit novel. The series features an MC that plays the rare role of villain in a game run by an AI that has the tendency to act like an armchair psychiatrist and puppetmaster. Very nice.

If you're up for a bit of rational fiction, you can check out Worth the Candle. It's an English webnovel over on AO3. Worth the Candle is about an MC that transmigrates into a world that seems to be based on worlds he imagined while playing Tabletop RPGs with his friends. This has a great impact on his mentality, and a lot of the novel is about him - and the companions he meets - struggling with the implications of that. It's fantastic in terms of how thoughtful the author is and how utterly fucked up the relationship between the companions is. Absolutely wonderful.

If you'd instead rather go for a wacky and insane page turner, you can try out The Outer Sphere over on ScribbleHub. It's LitRPG with an author that isn't satisfied until he successfully derails every expectation you have for the novel. It's a lot of fun. It was so much fun, in fact, that this author became the first and only one that I support on Patreon.

Randidly Ghosthound and Arcane Emperor over on RRL also deserve mention. Don't let the lack of a paragraph in their honor fool you, though, I'm just tired after the first three.

6. magecraft_unleashed

Reading List:
    Link
    Awaken Online? What can I tell you? My pockets hurt.

Worth the Candle?
    On Archive of Our Own (AO3), users can make profiles, create works and other Content, post comments, give Kudos, create Collections and Bookmarks, participate in Challenges, import works, and more. Any information you publish in a comment, profile, work, or Content that you post or import onto AO3 including in summaries, notes and tags, will be accessible by the public (unless you limit access to a work only to those with AO3 Accounts), and it will be available to AO3 personnel. Be mindful when sharing personal information, including your religious or political views, health, racial background, country of origin, sexual identity and/or personal relationships. To learn more, check out our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
    Thanks, but I think I'll pass.

The Outer Sphere? I'll add it to my list.

Randidly Ghosthound... when that blue alien with a third eye appeared, i stopped reading it. raw violence and pure sadism in the name of training i never liked (Ch. 16).

Arcane Emperor? Sounds good but I'd rather read something that's not in hiatus.

Westeller likes this.
  7. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not sure what the text blurb from AO3 is supposed to imply. It seems like a really generic warning about public account details that you'd see on any public platform. ... AO3 is the rough equivalent of sites like RRL and ScribbleHub. It's just a web fiction site. You don't need to make an account to read, either, and you'll find I directly linked to the first chapter of the novel I recommended.

8. magecraft_unleashed

Reading List:
    Link
    in any other site those warnings only appear when you are creating an account (when you are becoming a user). that's why I feel bad that I just entered the site and ask me instantly to access their conditions (I do not finish entering the site and they already put in my face a contract of privacy policy and terms of use).

9. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    Probably because you do not need to create an account to, say, post comments on the site. I've left a couple of comments on chapters there myself, and I do not have an account.

That said, I have a solution that may satisfy you:

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/25137/worth-the-candle

I only recommended the AO3 version as it is the original source and author's preferred platform. It is not, however, the only site the novel has been uploaded to, and you do have other options if you're leery of AO3. On the bright side, I forgot that AO3 doesn't seem to have reviews, whereas RRL does. So you can read those for a second opinion on the novel.