Games about being a feudal lord

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Ai chan, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    Most of my suggestions have either been mentioned or ruled out...

Maybe Sid Meier's Colonization, either the original or the newer version. It's got a time limit sure, but you can declare yourself independant and fight to become so, but i've yet to reach that ,so i'm not sure of what'll happen even if you win.

Endless Legend perhaps, you can literally see as your cities expand and take over regions with more cities. Diplomacy is about which sub-tribes to include in your rule and which other nations to deal with.

Settlers 6 was mentioned, but did you mean Settlers : Rise of an empire ? If you keep development sustainable, you can play forever on the same maps. Settlers : Heritage of Kings (either 4 or 5, not sure) has fewer problems playing for very long periods of time, as there are fewer things to manage.

Europa Universalis was mentioned...

To be frank, it's a very specified list of requests, and getting even most of them in the same game ... not everything goes well together even if mixed appropriately, and even if some game did have several of these, it might need to be heavily adjusted in settings or modded to get the rest.

That being said,
    have you played that game ? Did you purchase it more locally or get it over the internet, and if you did, was it perhaps a certain site starting with an F and 2 numbers?

2. Adrian160596

Adrian160596 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I recommend Romance of the 3 Kingdoms de Koei.

3. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Already played it. Bored out of my wits. It's too easy. Plus, it's made with Unity, so everything uses a whole bundle of resources and overheats my laptop for no reason other than "Oh look, more polygons! Yay!" Unreal Engine already settled this problem, why Unity can't fix this is beyond me.

Already played EU. It's fun for what it is, but it's not playing as a feudal lord. EU plays as the head of the country, except for the Japanese islands, where you play the various warlords. But if Ai-chan wants to play that, Ai-chan would've played Nobunaga's Ambition.

Problem with Grand Ages: Medieval is it sucks ass. It's such a pity, Grand Ages: Rome was so great but Medieval is like an unfinished turd.

Yes. Played the game, it's almost what Ai-chan wants. But it's visual novel, so there's not really that much you can do with it. Well, there's plenty to do, but in that game you're a general, not a feudal lord. Don't know about F and 2, though.

Perhaps the closest one is Democracy 3, except without the global warming bullshit that broke the game.

Already played it. Personally Ai-chan prefers Nobunaga's Ambition.

4. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    Well it's a forum where you can get a lot of amateur and translated games, but i'm not sure if it counts as an aggregator site so i'm not sure if mentioning it by name is allowed, but it's F(numberx2)****

And you can play Democracy 3 for forever I believe, you just need to select certain settings.

Also in EU, you can literally play any rank from baron to emperor, or even mercantile republic leaders, so you don't actually have to be either in charge of someone else or actually have to make decisions on your own if you don't want to.

5. Ai chan

Reading List:
    Link
    Ai-chan just wants to play as a small time rural feudal lord. Ai-chan doesn't want my actions to matter to the nation. It's fine if the king ask for money or troops sometimes (can't remember which game that was) but Ai-chan doesn't want to control a large territory on the world map.

Give me 10 hectares to build on, a thousand peasants and maybe give me royal decree to beat up some pissass noble like a thug, that's all Ai-chan needs. Ai-chan doesn't want to conquer the world anymore. EU will encourage Ai-chan to conquer the world because everyone just wants some war.

kenar likes this.
  6. Tiken

Tiken Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I tried my best with the tags the games you mentioned had in common:
    Medieval
    City Builder
    Strategy
    Singleplayer
    Simulation
    RTS

This are the results:
    [​IMG]

7. Ai chan

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for your helps. From top to bottom.

Northgard - Too colourful. Hurts my eyes and incinerates my laptop.
    Stronghold Crusader 2 - Quite nice, but filled with bloody bugs.
    Medieval Kingdom Wars - It has war in it, which suggests it's most likely a wargame. Not interested.
    Stronghold Crusader - Used to play it to death. Loved it back then, but Ai-chan is looking for something else.
    Stronghold HD - Used to love it. But looking for something else.
    Stronghold Legends - The monster faction is too overpowered! Damned werewolves!
    Dawn of Discovery - Otherwise known as Anno 1404. Yeah, played it already.
    Grand Ages: Medieval - Absolutely terrible and unfinished. Don't play it. Play Grand Ages: Rome instead, it's made by a different studio.
    Knights and Merchants - Used to be awesome, but it's very old now.
    Kingdom Wars - Sounds like a wargame. Don't wanna. Also, it's MMORTS.
    Folk Tale - Unfinished, abandoned and terribly buggy. Don't play this.
    Stronghold 3 - Buggy. Stopped playing because hanging every 5 minutes was not fun.
    The Settlers Online - Certainly not! There's a reason why Settler fans hated it.
    Age of Empires Legacy - Ai-chan already said in the opening post that Ai-chan doesn't want Age of Empires.
    Microsoft RTS Collection - Definitely not!
    Eidos Anthology - Is it normal to sell as an anthology nowadays?
    Dawn of Discovery Gold - It's like Anno 1404, but gold.

8. King0Mik

King0Mik 【An Actual Idiot】

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmmm... Can't really think of a game that would be quite to Ai-chan's ideals.

The closest that I can think of is modded Minecraft (Java version, using Forge) with the MineColonies mod.

Basically, MineColonies allows you to make a small town. You have builders, farmers, various types of animal handlers (cows, sheep, chicken, and pigs), a town hall (which could be built to look like a castle at max level), housing, guards, and other building types.
    You start with building an encampment (either a camp-like one on land or a boat on sea/water) using a building wand to allow you to build the town hall. After that, you can place areas for buildings, which will be built by the builder (after you place an area for a builder's hut).
    There are 5 levels to each building, and the builder(s) can only upgrade a building up to the level of their building hut (with the exception of their own building hut).
    I don't think there's a limit to building, but there's a limit to the area that you can "claim." Your claimed land cannot be damaged by mobs.

So long as you have Minecraft (Java version), you should be able to use Forge to play modded Minecraft. Although the most current version of Minecraft is v13 (with v14 coming out soon I think), you're going to want to play modded v12 because that's the latest version that Forge is available for. In addition to MineColonies, you may want other mods to improve gameplay, such as HWYLA (here's what you're looking at) and JEI (just enough items). The mods just need to be added to your mods folder, which can be opened from the main menu when you first launch Minecraft Forge (though you will need to relaunch Forge afterward) from the Minecraft launcher.

Well, if Ai-chan is willing, perhaps this can hold Ai-chan over for some time.

9. Sunlight_Brother

Sunlight_Brother Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There’s no game like that out sadly. I’ve been looking for one too. What I did to get this kind of game I wanted was running a dungeons and dragons campaign where each character ran their own kingdoms lol

10. MrSplashy

MrSplashy Grey Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    SsethTzeentach has everything that you might need

11. Ai chan

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't get it. What does a reviewer has to do with Ai-chan's request?

MrSplashy likes this.
  12. Ignus

Ignus Philosopher of Flames

Reading List:
    Link
    I always wanted to play a game based upon a Medieval Family.
    You create your first character, a simple blacksmith or something.
    You go through your life managing Work, Marriage, "Training" your successor, and die.
    Depending on how well you do your work, Wealth
    Depending on how well you you married, Political
    Depending on how well you Trained your child, Future potential.

The point of the game is to raise your "family" and how quickly you can become a Noble.
    Multiple paths to do so. Via concepts such as: Robber Baron, Bandit Leader, Farmer to Town Hero, Explorer, Merchant, Political Pariah...

Something overall different, but like Shovel Knights where you can pass down Hereditary traits once you've died.

kenar and Ai chan like this.
  13. Ai chan

Reading List:
    Link
    Ai-chan thought that if there is really no game that fits Ai-chan's request, Ai-chan may make the game myself. Of course, it needs to be planned first, but Ai-chan is thinking along the lines of 2D feudal fief management.

Basically, it will be:
    1. You run a fief, either a small knight's fee, be a landless knight under a lord's payroll or be a lord of a territory.
    2. The game is essentially a management game, where you can develop your land, start a new village to take advantage of natural resources or land a knight to provide trained military units.
    3. Capture land by giving enemy's lands to my own knights.
    4. Knights and villages can make their own buildings and I can either tax them or aid them.
    5. Can arrange marriage with knights and commit to diplomacy with other lords.
    6. Each village and knight's fee can have their own specialty such as trade goods or superior weapons.
    7. The ability to make a separate knight's order formed of landless knights.

Ai-chan can make this myself, but Ai-chan doesn't have time to make this myself. The assets alone will take a long time. Plus, Ai-chan is an author, not a programmer, so it will take Ai-chan longer to make this game than a real programmer.

kenar, Ignus and Silver Snake like this.
  14. MrSplashy

MrSplashy Grey Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    He reviewed a game or two that fits what you request but other than that *shrugs*.

15. Ai chan

Reading List:
    Link
    What games would that be? By the way, were you the one who asked for Ai-chan's pics last december? Can't remember.

16. Ai chan

Reading List:
    Link
    Urgh, thanks for the suggestion, kenar-kun. Unfortunately, it's too huge. 30GB! Why is it so huge?!!!! orz

kenar likes this.
  17. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup, that's my reaction at first. What makes it good in my opinion is that you have a high degree of freedom in creating your character since it's a DnD based game. You can roleplay as much as you want in that game but I digress. Tbh I'm looking for the same game but I couldn't find anything fit the criteria. I tried Nobunaga's Ambition but unexpectedly it was full of war. I tried EU but I often get attacked by big countries.

Ai chan likes this.
  18. Ai chan

Reading List:
    Link
    Kenar-kun, Ai-chan is very pissed now.

When Ai-chan got the game, Ai-chan installed, after removing my beloved Starcraft 2 and DragonAge: Origins to free space. Ai-chan's very first impression of the game was, "Oh my god, Unity!!! Kenar-kun didn't say this is a Unity game!!! It's okay, it's okay. Let's give it a chance. All Unity games suck ass, but that doesn't mean it's impossible to meet a few golden pigs once in a blue moon."

Then Ai-chan waited, and waited, and waited. Then Ai-chan went to the grocery store to buy ice cream. Ai-chan came back 10 minutes after leaving for the grocery store, and it hasn't even loaded yet!!! What the fuck?!!! They weren't kidding when they said it would take several minutes to load. While waiting, Ai-chan was thinking, "This is taking a god lot time," and then the game crashed.

Ai-chan was like "WTF? You made me wait for half an hour and then you crashed on me?" Ai-chan then opened task manager, and closed any program that Ai-chan considered unnecessary. Then Ai-chan gave the game another chance. The first time could be a fluke, after all.

After half an hour, Ai-chan finally entered the main menu, by this time my laptop is feeling like a furnace, and it's only the main menu. Ai-chan turned on the air conditioner to the lowest settings, 16 degrees celsius to counteract the heat caused by Unity engine. Ai-chan also set everything to the lowest possible setting, though setting the game to fullscreen caused it to crash.

Then Ai-chan started to design my character, and the game hanged, and hanged, and hanged, until it showed the background of windows, and Ai-chan saw on the task manager that it took 3.7 Gig of memory! And Ai-chan thought, "Where the fuck did these assholes learn memory management? You preload stuff that you need to use at that particular moment, not preload the entire game at once!"

Then Ai-chan finally managed to get into the game. Played until Ai-chan finally entered the Stolen Lands, before it crashed for out of memory again. Apparently it crashed to desktop around 3.3-3.6 gigs.

To even get into the game, Ai-chan needed to start the game 3 times, 2 of them would crash.

Ai-chan started the game again, hoping third time's the charm. Ai-chan managed to play, but the loading time was horrendous. Ai-chan thought, "Why the hell does it take your menu screen half an hour to load?" Ai-chan know the half an hour is only for the loading screen, because every scene also takes a long time to preload. Why do these take a long time to preload? It's just pixels! Did they HD 3D the menu buttons as well? PNG and GIF works just as well. One image for off, one image for float, one image for on, doesn't even take 500KB even at the most HD PNG setting.

Up to now, Ai-chan has played this game for 26 hours. 1 hour was for creating my character, which is great, the character creation system is great. About 6-7 accumulated hours of actually playing the game. The rest of the time was spent looking at the loading screen.

Ai-chan decided to remove the game. It's probably got what Ai-chan wants, but because of the long loading screen, Ai-chan couldn't even start making my own kingdom. This is why Ai-chan hates Unity games. They all have the same characteristics: high memory usage, unexplained GPU overheating and unnecessary high requirements. The graphics at the lowest setting (Ai-chan wouldn't know about highest setting) is not much different from Baldur's Gate, yet Baldur's game could be played even on Windows 2000. Programmers these days just do not understand memory economy.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    gangbuntu, kenar and ReadOrDie like this.
  19. ReadOrDie

ReadOrDie already dead

Reading List:
    Link
    Nice rant. Haha.

20. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    ahh, memory leaks. I use razor game booster and it take less memory

Ai chan likes this.