Request Games with best boss fights. Giant epic 1 on 1 boss fights!

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Walter vi Britannia, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Walter vi Britannia

Walter vi Britannia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I played Shadow of the Colossus once as a child and I've been addicted to epic boss fights ever since.
    Now I already know a few games that satisfy my requirements but if you know something not on this list PLEASE NAME THEM! I want something! (BTW, the boss fights have to be many and frequent enough. Not like an hour of killing mobs and then a good boss fight at the end or something.) These are what I've played:
    • Shadow of the Colossus (Hands down the best in terms of what I'm looking for.)
    • Cuphead
    • Hollow Knight
    • Guild Wars 2 (An MMO so it gets extra points!)
    • Furi
    • Dragon's Dogma
    • Beyond Good and Evil (Was this a boss rush game? I don't remember. Been so long.)
    Now there are other games with epic boss battles like Devil May Cry, Dark Souls, God of War, etc. I know they're good, I've played them. But I want that exhilarating boss rush so I wanna play something where you can just power through all the boss battles at once, like the games mentioned above. Even in Guild Wars 2 you can literally level to max by doing purely low leveled world bosses and then after reaching max level you can either start raiding, which are literally boss rushes, or do the difficult max level world bosses which there are more of and are even better. These games allow you to jump from one hard and epic boss battle to the other without all the in-betweens.

Maybe Hallow Knight and Dragon's Dogma has some mobs along the way but the bosses are frequent enough to still make this list. But not something like Devil May Cry or Metal Gear Solid. (Oh, I haven't played Monster Hunter World yet. I wonder how that is.)

I accidentally posted it on General Chat. Was meant for Gaming Discussions. :p

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2020
    Deleted member 38284 likes this.
  2. Psosm

Psosm Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Praey for the Gods
    A game heavily inspired by shadow of the colossus I don't know if it's good though :)

Walter vi Britannia likes this.
  3. schrodingers mushroom

schrodingers mushroom Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Code vein?(the bosses are good i guess?)
    Death stranding
    Try the megamanx series(in my opinion the 3d ones they just suck ass just try the old ones)
    Thats all i know aside those you mentioned

01 likes this.
  4. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    Shadow of Mordor/War is kinda bossy.
    Child of Light
    Ori and the blind forest/will of the wisp.
    Darksiders (all 3)

5. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    MMOs get extra points? .. Lots of MMOs have boss fights. Actually, pretty much all of them do.

The ones I've played lately are Phantasy Star Online 2 and Final Fantasy XIV. Both have lots of boss fighting. ... Personally, I think FFXIV has the most epic, thematic, complex and compelling boss fights of any MMO I've played. Ever. So there's that.

In FFXIV, you could spend all day running bosses back to back if that's what you feel like doing. Though that's the standalone bosses. There're also bosses as part of dungeons and raids that you'd actually have to fight through dungeons to reach, but, yeah.

There's variety.

Note that FFXIV is only free up to a point and eventually requires purchase of expansions and a monthly sub to play. ... That said, the amount of content free to play is larger than several traditional single-player games stacked on top of one another. Despite being an MMO, FFXIV has a massive, compelling storyline that will take hundreds of hours to play through, before even mentioning side content. A huge portion of this storyline is available for free:
    https://www.pcgamer.com/final-fanta...ncludes-up-to-the-end-of-its-first-expansion/

6. TotallyNotAnAlien

TotallyNotAnAlien Not an alien!

Reading List:
    Link
    The Monster Hunter series. Every large monster is a boss fight, which is basically an hour or two into the game and almost everything onwards is fighting a large monster.

7. 01

01 [REDACTED]

Reading List:
    Link
    Ghostrunner boss battle is really fun IMO.
    Boos battle in Doom eternal is intense but still fun.
    How about resident evil?
    Bioshock series final boss battles are great, it's kinda creepy and somehow I feel nostalgic when playing this game.

8. Khatulistiwa

Khatulistiwa An Egg Eternal

Reading List:
    Link
    Asura's Wrath

9. RainMorga

RainMorga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Megaman Legends
    Horizon Zero Dawn
    These two is mostly focused on ranged combat and evasion.

God of War 4
    Ghost of Tsushima

I remember solo'ing the dungeons in Dragon Nest SEA. Abyss difficulty bosses was fun.

10. Walter vi Britannia

Reading List:
    Link
    Everybody was talking about it when the demo came out, why wasn't the release hyped though I wonder.

11. Walter vi Britannia

Reading List:
    Link
    Death Stranding?

I don't think you understand what I said in my post. lol

Oh, I've played those...somewhat.

I said extra points cause its always more fun if there are other people.

Anyway, they're good. Warcraft has epic raids too, FFIXV has some of the most visually coolest bosses I've seen in gaming...but you have to play a bit to get there. And in MMOs a "bit" usually tends to be dozens of hours.
    I wanna immediately get into the action you see? This euphoric boss rush craving of mine would not last very long, eventually I'll start desiring something else. And by the time I get to the things you are speaking of in those games it'll already be over. I don't wanna do story, I don't wanna do quests, I wanna fight giants is all. I've played too many story focused stuff recently and I'm just looking for something else at the moment.

Now if you're saying you can immediately get into bosses in those games like in GW2 where after finishing the short tutorial (which itself ends with a giant boss) you can go around the world and start beating world bosses that pop up in at set locations one after the other....then I'd love to know how! But I didn't play those games long enough to figure out a way to do that. Even in GW2 you have to know what to do and where to go if you wanna do these world bosses.

12. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm. Okay, so. In FFXIV most bosses are locked behind the storyline. You have to play through to get to them. The game is pretty linear in that regard - one massive, long story that slowly unlocks more and more dungeons, raids and boss fights. You can then re-run these boss fights as much as you want. There are a *lot* of dungeons, raids and boss fights, and the story is absolutely littered with them. As you play through it, you'll have plenty to do.

If you want to, though, there *is* a microtransaction available to literally skip the entire storyline and start the game with a high level character. I wouldn't recommend it, for obvious reasons - you miss the story, you have no idea what you're doing because you didn't grow the character naturally, and the game is just going to slam into you with an absolutely bonkers amount of content you won't be able to make heads or tails of. The microtransaction in question is more for making new characters, I think. ... but if you just want to jump into the game, have everything unlocked for you already, and spend all your time messing around with the bosses.. well.. it's an option.

Something to note about FFXIV is that there are daily rewards for queuing up to run randomly selected dungeons, raids and boss fights, and level-syncing for older content in those queues, which together ensures there are *always* people to join you for everything you do, every step of the way through the story. You never have to worry about finding parties on your own, asking for help, or just getting stuck doing something alone because it's outdated. You'll also be actively rewarded for just joining random boss fights, which seems like your kind of thing.

13. Walter vi Britannia

Reading List:
    Link
    Yea, sounds great...but not what I am after right at this moment. The last thing I want is story. I don't wanna think and get emotionally invested, I just wanna play like in Ghostrunner.

Oh, I played DN once. Lots of grinding.

14. ANonMouse

ANonMouse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    yep, when I heard boss fights, I immediately thought of Monster Hunter. It's one of the best boss fight games because so much of it comes down to your skill and knowledge of your weapon and the monster. Unlike a lot of games that are 90% gear and 10% skill, monhun tends to be more along the lines of 90% skill 10% gear. Gear still matters, but only up to a point. That said, sadly they do start new players off in catch-up-gear, making 1/3 of the story progression too easy to a point where a lot of people don't learn enough before hitting harder content. But yea, if OP can get into it, it can easily provide hundreds of hours of content, and the expansion iceborne will double the content more or less if he still wants to play at the end of the base game.

15. Walter vi Britannia

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, sounds perfect! Sadly they're not really for PC. Only Frontier and World seem to be out for PC, and one of them is no longer playable. Thanks! Will check it out!

16. TotallyNotAnAlien

TotallyNotAnAlien Not an alien!

Reading List:
    Link
    Here's another suggestion, though not completely meeting your requirements. Try Terraria modded with the Calamity Mod. Lots of grinding in between bosses though, but once you beat the final boss, you can grab an item that let's you do a boss rush where you fight every single boss without a break. If it helps, Calamity mod's BGMs for their bosses are really great too.

17. Walter vi Britannia

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh fuck, that's actually a good recommendation. I remember the bosses in Terraria, it was really fun setting up a stage going in with a plan and then fighting it. No other game has replicated that feeling of a battle on a home field. Thanks! Will check the mod out!