Discussion Gender-Bender Association

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by ohko, Feb 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moonpearl

Moonpearl Professional Yuri Girl ❀ [Yuri Garden Creator]

Reading List:
    Link
    I finally got around to reading this~! It was really, really funny, but I have to say that I'm disappointed with the ending. It was very anti-climatic and made the plot up to that point feel kind of pointless.

It would have been more effective to have everyone "win" and the MC end up having an unwanted reverse harem of his own. Or maybe for the hero to turn out to be a woman?

Walter vi Britannia and Gyoza like this.
  2. OnceandFutureLurker

OnceandFutureLurker Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  3. Walter vi Britannia

Walter vi Britannia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh this! I came across this a long time ago...damn. I forgot this existed. lol

Well, anyway, I never stuck around cause...various things. One, my preferences in gender bender being very specific, me finding that this covers a wider variety made me lose a bit of interest(mainly cause I avoid those other types of gender bender with a passion!)...and I feel kinda like an asshole if I try to fit myself into a LGBTQ or whatever community when the only reason I read gender bender is purely because of the drama and nothing else. I am as generic as a generic straight male could be. And I often make jokes about me being gay and such with my friends...so I really feel guilty around a real community surrounding them.

...though I guess its not that big of a deal here. I subconsciously end up doing it. lol

Gyoza likes this.
  4. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    @Ars, you got some feedback! ^^)/

Personally speaking, I did like the story, but uhn... Dunno, the ending felt too anti-climatic I guess? Fits right into the laid-back feeling of the story, but uhn... I dunno, it really felt like it lacked impact.

Also, it feels like the title is too misleading with this kind of ending, with how everything worked out properly for the MC, it does feel kinda weird that this was the title of choice.

Gyoza, Ars and Moonpearl like this.
  5. Moonpearl

Reading List:
    Link
    Ohko put an advertisement for the LGBT Association here, but it's not THE LGBT Association, so you don't have to worry. So long as you're respectful and follow the rules in the OP, it will be fine.
    Those rules are just for the comfort of LGBT members who are here, I think, rather like the anti-transphobia rules in the Yuri Garden are for my and any trans Gardeners' comfort.

As for the different types of gender bender, well... I don't really have a solution for that one. XD

Which ones do you like?

6. Walter vi Britannia

Reading List:
    Link
    Haha...ha. That's the problem. I kinda sometimes make offensive jokes, it usually just slips out. I get so self conscious around certain people for that reason. lol

Anyway, I like male-to-female gender bender novels with heterosexual romance(...the type where the person who turns into a woman ends up with a man).

Anything else I would avoid. I'm not indifferent to them, I avoid them, like yaoi novels and such.
    I like general yuri stuff though, but not in gender bender, I will not read about a man turning into a woman and getting it on with another woman. And I absolutely don't wanna read about a woman turning into a man either, yaoi or straight, neither. (no offense though)

Also, it's not a fetish. Not into gender bender hentai either(I usually end up focusing on the story rather than fapping if its a vanilla gender bender hentai, lol).

I don't know why I like it specifically that way. I have no desire to want to become a woman, and I don't wanna fuck a man turned into a woman either...well, I'll have to meet the person first. haha
    But for some reason, I just like it that specific way, absolutely obsessed with those types of stories. I used to think it was kinda gay too...I think I still do. But after the first story I read, which throughout made me feel awkward seeing the two main characters slowly falling in love even though one used to be a man, but at some point when they seemed to be getting separated I really wanted to see them together...like, "I don't care if its gay, those two are meant for each other!" type of feeling. lol

So I guess I'm just into that specific sort of drama.
    Plus, I really like seeing them struggling to adapt and being confused by their new body, their interactions with other men and women after being changed.

One particular novel made the main character easily fit right in to being a woman, and I didn't have the same blind interest in that one as I usually do for gender benders in general.
    So I guess I'm only into that sort of initial confusion, trying to adapt, slowly becoming a woman, interacting with other people, falling for someone they never would've thought they'd end up with, and then finding happiness that they never would've found in what they considered to be their misfortune. (Maybe I just like seeing people suffering. lol)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    Gyoza and Moonpearl like this.
  7. mir

mir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    recommendation:
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/whats-your-gender-princess/?

There are two countries at war, but the war is very one-sided.
    A princess from the losing side tries to assassinate the enemy's emperor.
    Something happens and they switch bodies.
    Because neither wants for themself to die, and the emperor has alot of enemies, they decide to hide it from everyone and work on finding a way to switch back.

I haven't read it in a long time. Turns out the translation is now completed. My recc is based on the first ~13 chapters I read.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  8. Gyoza

Gyoza Turn Up the Eurobeat

Reading List:
    Link
    I love your alternate endings. Especially the hero one!

I do agree that the ending was anti-climatic but I guess it didn't really matter to me that much.
    It's never a proper male-to-female gender bender until the MC has his period (and the ML swoops in to help):blobrofl:

For some reason, the worst period symptoms always manifest and the character becomes the equivalent of a beached whale howling in pain.
    I like this one!

One scene I really liked was when in the end...
    A while after they switched back to their original bodies, the princess became pregnant. But she was too scared of pregnancy and childbirth, so they swapped bodies again and the Emperor carried the child to term. :blobrofl:

9. Gyoza

Reading List:
    Link
    Unruly Phoenix Xiaoyao was recently completed!

I haven't read it myself, but I noticed that it had the gender bender and crossdressing tags, for those of you interested.

Synopsis:
    Ning Xiaoyao is a genetically evolved army doctor from a zombie-infested apocalyptic world. One day, she transmigrates to the past as the next emperor of an ancient country. But wait, isn’t she a girl?!

As it turns out, she’s a disguised stand-in for her baby brother under the “loving” care of the empress dowager, her mother and future murderer. Faced with her impending death, Ning Xiaoyao must thwart the schemes of her family to survive in a palace allied against her. But how does a zombie-killing expert with supernormal strength, healing powers, and the ability to understand animals deal with the intricacies of court politics?

“If nothing else works, I’ll just beat them all up!”

10. Kanna Rose

Kanna Rose Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Gyoza and Moonpearl like this.
  11. Gyoza

Reading List:
    Link
    The male leads eventually find out though, right? ._.

I think in most crossdressing cases, the male lead doesn't know the female lead is a girl at the start.

12. Kanna Rose

Kanna Rose Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah, at end, it's take 200 chapters to find out mc is female.

13. SilvaLau

SilvaLau Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    sirin423 and Ubik like this.
  14. SilvaLau

Reading List:
    Link
  15. Walter vi Britannia

Reading List:
    Link
    ...and it's shoujo ai.
    Haah, got excited there for a moment.

16. SilvaLau

Reading List:
    Link
    Why, you thought it's yuri? :blobpats:

17. Walter vi Britannia

Reading List:
    Link
    That's...basically the same thing.
    No, I was hoping for the opposite. (By that I don't mean yaoi though.)

AliceShiki likes this.
  18. Moonpearl

Reading List:
    Link
    I really like the concept - gender bent x gender bent is so rare!

But, from the prologue, it looks like the author skipped over and butchered the parts of the story that would have made this compelling. Does it get any better?

19. SilvaLau

Reading List:
    Link
    The only way to find out is to keep on reading. Unfortunately for you, I am not the type of translator that reads ahead of the raw. It kills my motivation to translate stories I already know the ending of.

And besides~ I am a Chinese translator, this is a Japanese novel (Point is, I can't read Japanese). This is a novel I commissioned from a Japanese translator and handpicked by my patrons among the other choices. So yeah, I have no idea which direction is the novel going to take either. so the one and only best answer I can give is: read and find out for yourself.

Although I do have to say that the chapters are short, VERY short indeed. As the average length of each chapter is no more than 1.3k source words.

20. Moonpearl

Reading List:
    Link
    There are already 10 chapters translated. That's plenty to judge a story like this? If the next chapter doesn't improve any, it's not going to change.

But with chapters that short and an opening like that, I'll assume the prologue is a fair indication of the whole novel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.