Gender locked classes ...whats up with that?

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Leachinator, Jan 15, 2016.

Tags:
?

does this feature confuse you or do you totally get it?

1. I have no idea why this is a thing

30 vote(s)
    40.5%
  2. I HAVE A THEORY!!!

13 vote(s)
    17.6%
  3. I know exatly why this is a thing

31 vote(s)
    41.9%
  1. Fred7gold

Fred7gold Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What gender bender leads to:
    image.jpg

2. Leachinator

Leachinator [Jedi master general] Most Special Snowflake

Reading List:
    Link
    ...that actually sounds pretty plausible that they make more money selling cosmetics for female avatars to men

3. Fred7gold

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah make their avatar stronger too.. image.jpg

4. Leachinator

Reading List:
    Link
    Fred7gold likes this.
  5. Simon

Simon [The Pure One's Chief Steward][Demon Beast]

Reading List:
    Link
    Wouldn't be more likely that men like looking at pretty women, it would be the same as buying your partner sexy clothes. Also some players don't consider themselves the character when playing 3rd person.

6. Handa-kun

Handa-kun Partial Nudity and Suggestive Themes

Reading List:
    Link
    No gender-locked class problem when i was still playing WoW.
    I never know the suffering.

7. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    welcome to the new era handa-kun.!

8. Fred7gold

Reading List:
    Link
    I can understand the buying thing but dont consider themselves in a RPG seem a bit strange to me, still I can understand. ^^

Ps bro @Asf gender lock is not something new even in Dark age of camelot and lineage 2 it existed and others. ^^

9. Mael

Mael Took Me Long Enough To Get This Title

Reading List:
    Link
    Can't forget gender stereotypes... And fan service.. Well it would seem like pulling a bow would comparatively seem easier compared to swinging a sword or taking a blow

10. Crimshine

Crimshine x399 %993

Reading List:
    Link
    I can't care less, if I want to play a classe or a race I'm just gonna play it no mater if it's gender locked or not

11. DeadlyBell

DeadlyBell Sleepy

Reading List:
    Link
    its simple really they didnt want to do the modeling work for it, saves money and time also easier on storylines if they have it in the game your playing

prongsjiisan likes this.
  12. Frolamiz

Frolamiz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I don't really care because for me, the only relevant thing (when not roleplaying, but anyway I only do that on tabletop RPGs) is efficiency since I really like to optimize to the extreme.
    But logically, the reasons are probably a mix of what people have said earlier, to reduce production costs, increase female equipment mtx sales and sometime because of the lore.

13. Aelan

Aelan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No, it wouldn't. You would still need to 3d model, unwrap, texture, create an armature, skin the armature and animate it for the female character. On top of that any piece if equipment (even if it looks exactly the same on make and female characters!) would have to be skinned to the armature for female characters. The trouble here is that often the models need to be changed because if the female character's bust pokes even a little bit through the armor you're screwed and would have to change the armor model.

Of course doing all this is a fraction of the game's budget, but budgets for these games are already overblown.

Also, to the person saying that this can't be the issue because done people make mods that add this and they're "amateurs". Actually, many people who make mods are professionals in the industry. Massing these mods has two uses for them: in some cases it can directly give them money through donations or selling it and in other cases they can add it to their portfolio. This " amateurs "thing is like saying that developing windows (or another operating system) can't be that hard/cost that much because we had a bunch of " amateurs "who made Linux.

Also, this stuff really doesn't work as an mtx because the cost to do it is way too much for an mtx. Most mtx require very little effort from artists or programmers but adding a whole other gender that want originally planned for is opening a can of worms.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
    prongsjiisan likes this.
  14. sal880612m

sal880612m As I thought, love was a status effect! ~ICDS

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm in the camp of don't compromise vision because of reality when it comes to such things. If you wanted to have gender locked classes because of lore or world building that's fine. Making lore and world building in order to justify gender locked classes because of budgetary, time or other real world concerns is not. Even though I know that isn't how it works, that doesn't mean I have to like, respect, or forgive it.

Asf and Fred7gold like this.
  15. Fred7gold

Reading List:
    Link
  16. Leachinator

Reading List:
    Link
    my point with the comment about amateurs and mods was that even though the cost exists its just too small compared to the total budget for that to be a justifiable argument. When your making a game you have to properly budget out the allocation of resources, you dont get to leave out features then just say you ran out of money like thats a valid argument. the argument from those of of us that dont like gender locking is this is a basic game feature that should be standerd in create your own character types games. When we get armatures and animations for dozens of mounts and hundreds of armors all across different classes the cost overhead is just not going to se a significant impact from gender options. the production cost kinda works like an assembly line in that respect once you've got programmers, designers, and artists in seats adding male/female options is not somehow ruinously expensive and when publishers say that it is thats just BS PR spin.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  17. remy911

remy911 ┗|`o′|┛ Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Here's my response to those claiming "more work" and "increased budget":
    [​IMG]
    (Link to article)

While I won't comment on other types of games, for RPGs, I think it's pretty stupid to have anything gender locked, unless it's lore specific like the DnD drow case someone mentioned earlier or maybe quest that requires a particular gender (provided there are alternatives for the player being locked out). I think the hallmark of western-style RPGs is the emphasis on freedom and choice.

At the end of the day, is a game better with gender locked classes? I don't think so. But I think the main reason why it's still done is because of a lack of will from developers.

Asf and Slimikyi like this.
  18. Leachinator

Reading List:
    Link
    yup BS PR spin

Asf likes this.
  19. sal880612m

sal880612m As I thought, love was a status effect! ~ICDS

Reading List:
    Link
    Regardless of whether or not it's BS PR, the fact remains the most unrestricted RPGs remain the table top varieties.

20. Leachinator

Reading List:
    Link
    ahhh the old days when me and my friends used to play DnD*he says as he gazes fondly into the distance*