General Breakdown of Rights

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Sharudeis, Nov 7, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobsweat_2::blobsweat_2::blobsweat_2:

ahaha............

I just wanted to make this clear (in case it was ambiguous in any sense), but it's nothing personal from me! :blobdead::blobdead::blobdead: @Westeller is a wonderful person and a very dedicated mod! (Also I agree, I definitely don't like the current state of how DMCAs are being used in practice, and a lot of copyright law is outdated and still has a long way to go before catching up to a digital age!).

I'm very interested in copyright law, so I can't help talking about it when I see a discussion on the topic...... :blobdizzy:

2. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Holy shit you included way too much completely irrelevant information in that. This is going to take a very long time to go through.. Damn it... Fine, but after this, I'm done with this thread. You can reply if you want, but I'm out.

I represented only a very specific point of the Berne Convention, the only point relevant to this discussion. You brought in a ton of completely irrelevant parts of it, which I'll discuss below. For now, note that I'm focused on Article 2:

Local laws do take precedence, as you said: However, as I said, this is a good thing, because the local laws in China do, in fact, give copyright protection to unauthorized translations. My bringing up the Berne Convention in the first place is to highlight international standard for copyright protection of derivative works. In China, the translations are protected regardless.

Yes. Unless they have signed this right away, an author has the exlcusive right to translate their own works or authorize others to do so. Although... The language is a bit sketchy because the legal trouble from translations comes in when you begin publishing a translation. The right to physically translate a work, for private use, is more along the lines of an unalienable human right.. Anyway, this section you've quoted is extremely irrelevant to this discussion because you've essentially just highlighted that unauthorized derivative works infringe upon an author's original copyright. We all know this, y'know?

The point is that a translation is protected independantly. You can't publish it without the author's permission, but not even the author can claim your translation as their own. It's protected as an independent work - your work.

I just want to go ahead and point out that you're now reading from the section on an author's original work. Everything you're quoting is about an author's rights to their own work. Essentially that even if they sign the work away, they always have the right to claim authorship of it and object to any mutilation of it. This might be somewhat relevant to translation if an author catches wind of some of the shitty MTL'ing done on Qidian's side of things~ I'd call that mutilation, wouldn't you?~

Okay, so, you're now on to the appendix for developing countries. Provisions that allow them to set up a completely optional system of licenses and government-issued authorizations for the translation and reproduction of foreign works. It's really amazing that you've taken this and declared it to be some god-given truth that applies to the rest of the world, or even just to developing countries that haven't partaken of this, again, completely optional system. Article IV is just a limitation on Articles II and III, by the way - a list of qualifications you must meet before you can be given a license under the previous articles. It's not a list of "what to do if you can't gain authorization the proper way" so much as a list of restrictions on the license system introduced in the previous articles.

Even if, however, every bit of this license system applies, you're still missing the point: The translation is protected independently.

TL;DR: Under pretty much any developed countries' laws, the "right of translation," which, honestly, would be better written as "the right of publication of derivative works," is initially and exclusively owned by authors. We all know this. We do not need to hear it repeated. Everything following this redundant statement is taken from the licensing appendix again, an optional system designed for developing countries that does not apply unless they want it to. Wonderful.

The original author cannot, under any circumstances, confiscate, claim total ownership, or seize a derivative translation of his work. The derivative is protected by its own copyright without prejudice for the author's original copyright. The derivative, if published without authorization, does infringe upon the author's rights and the translator can be held liable for such.

The result would be the translation being taken down and financial compensation to the author. It most definitely would not be the author claiming ownership of the translator's work. Gods no. Keep dreaming.

Let me put this really simply:

Without the author's permission, you cannot publish a translation. Regardless, your translation is your own work, independant from the author's, and similarly cannot be published without your permission. You are the author of your translation.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  3. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    I think what ended up happening is that we’re actually talking about different things. We don’t disagree on either of the key points we’re focusing on; it’s obvious to both of us (and pretty much everyone) that both original and (licensed) derivative works have their own independent copyright protections.

The point that I was responding to was the comment whether unauthorized derivative works even have copyright protections.

I ended up going through the Berne document because I frankly couldn't find what exactly in there indicated that unauthorized derivative works indeed do have copyright protections; in fact, most of the the document describes what precisely is criteria to obtain a valid license for the rights to translation.

You quoted:

But I'm not sure if I'm reading this statement exactly in the same way you are (unless I'm misunderstanding)?

What does "without prejudice" mean? I think I read it differently than you, but I ended up going on a search to understand exactly what it does mean (I'm not a lawyer, so obviously this isn't my domain of expertise)! Here's a source that I found that seems to describe the "without prejudice" term means in the way it is utilized in Article 2:

So the way I had read the statement initially was as follows:

"Translations (and etc) are protected as original works so long as the copyright of the original work is not infringed/harmed."

In other words, derivative works are not protected if they are already infringing.

Am I reading this wrong?

4. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I actually was reading it a little differently (darn english!), but the result is the same. It's not "derivatives are protected until they infringe and then suddenly have no copyright protection of their own," so much as "the author's protection takes precedence in the case of any conflict." ... Conflicts might arise from things like further adaptations of the translation..? I'm not sure. I am sure, however, that the fundamental copyright protection - the protection against copying, publishing without permission, etc - of the translation does not infringe on the author's own rights.

And my "key point" here is that unauthorized translations do, in fact, have their own copyright protection. It's just that publishing them infringes on the author's rights, and you can be held liable for that. A court would order you to compensate the author for damages, remove your translation from circulation, etc. The author would not, however, be able to claim your work as theirs.

5. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobtired::blobtired::blobtired: English is too hard!

In either case, I don't think there are any misunderstandings between us at this point.

The language of that article, even if read as "the author's protection takes precedence over the derivative", at best only provides implicit protection for unauthorized translations, since well, the statement is made about translations in general. I feel like this is the kind of line can take an interpretation that a panel of judges may end up splitting on (or going at least based on historical precedent in court cases).

I totally agree with you on a casual/moral basis that an author shouldn't be able to claim or profit off of a translator's work, even if the translator's work was illegal in the first place.

As for how well that's protected on a legal basis.... I'm honestly not knowledgeable enough. Apparently, it's protected in China though, so I guess it's fine?

AMissingLinguist and Westeller like this.
  6. AMissingLinguist

AMissingLinguist [Not Here][Blank Sect][Nuffian #N]

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm glad this settled without much bloodshed. I mean, there's no such thing as internet blood, right? :blob_coughblood::blob_coughblood::blob_coughblood::blob_coughblood::blob_coughblood::blobdead::blobdead::blobdead:

Sharudeis, Westeller and lychee like this.
  7. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is why it sucks that a "legal" fan translation (excluding creator- or published-approved) until 70 years after the last surviving creator dies. Life+70 is now the standard Japanese copyright length for novels.

8. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    hey if it continue~ that mean there communication problem~
    blame english as annoying language~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.