Discussion General view regarding sacrifice & self sacrifice

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by NekoMK2, Jul 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NekoMK2

NekoMK2 Lazy cat, [self proclaimed GM_Rusaku Disciples]

Reading List:
    Link
    so kinda had question like this for while and reminded again after read fuyu soukan mahou (is this right ? ) but what your guys thoughts about this?
    While I understand sacrifice is necessary things (be it wealth, current happiness, time even life) to reach success/desirable results but o can't stand someone who's easily sacrifice him/herself for others sake, I kinda agree with Elliot Nightray, those who self sacrifice is an idiot and selfish person who didn't think what the people who left behind will feel
    Well this my own opinion

2. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
    a man can't serve two masters. so it's either him or someone else

Nevertheless if there is time for the all speech about don't sacrife yourself for me, then probably there wasn't a need for selfscarifice

3. Dude

Dude Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I sacrificed my life to a religion
    Dudeism

4. CrispyNoodle

CrispyNoodle 『Noodle Overlo*d』『Open Pervert』『Onii-chan』

Reading List:
    Link
    I despise self sacrificing people... they're selfish in my opinion

Hmaster likes this.
  5. karsarts

karsarts wonder when can I get reincrnated as a loli

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends. If you sacrifice yourself for another person when your motive truly is just for self satisfaction(I.e just want to die) well, thats hypocrisy. While I dont hate it but its just a hassle for the people left behind.
    Sacrifice depends on your point of view. I sacrificed my time to reply, or even watch this thread, just for pure amusement. Or I can sacrifice my head to save a girl when truck kun comes~
    Anyway its dumb to consider this. Just stay ignorant and you will find peace

NekoMK2 likes this.
  6. Siceraria

Siceraria Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I believe it depends on the type of situation and severity of it.
    Remember that the notion of sacrifice only appears for social creatures such as ants and humans.
    Solitary creatures are less likely to possess this notion since they don't survive as a whole but as individuals.

Assuming we aren't talking about marginal loss like in economics where the utility value of something decreases the more you use it or something like karsarts had said.

kainee and NekoMK2 like this.
  7. curryss

curryss Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sacrifice is inherently selfish.

8. Hacalyhd

Hacalyhd Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    95/100 people who sacrifice themself are selfish
    5/100 people who sacrifice themself are idiots (either due to love, brainwashing or desperation)

Nonetheless: at least 1/100 should be respected for what they did

9. Cien

Cien 『Omnivore Reader』Inactive

Reading List:
    Link
    I wish more people sacrifice themselves for me. Heh idio- I mean brave souls.

10. Kagami Ren

Kagami Ren General of Satans 5th army

Reading List:
    Link
    It depend on situation..

11. Readingaddict36

Readingaddict36 [Mostly dead]

Reading List:
    Link
    Self sacrifice is a very basic occurence imo. parents will always sacrifice themselves for children one way or another, not in a grand dramatic way but little by little. Giving up on career dreams or traveling the world, etc.. It's not a bad thing though since you can gain satisfaction and happiness from self sacrifice.
    Regarding dramatics I agree it's an overused plot and often useless. Still, I don't remember where I read it, sometimes self preservation for the sake of others is harder to do than sacrifice. It's an easy way out for those with a guilty conciousness or lacking will.
    Dunno which drama but that sentiment stuck with me.

Happedaps and Polokrik like this.
  12. mrawesome69

mrawesome69 I'm getting too old for this shit

Reading List:
    Link
    I should sacrifice more people! Wander what ability will I got now?

13. Polokrik

Polokrik Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Self sacrifice is understandable especially if it concerns parents/child relation as it is "normal" to try to make your creation survive past you.
    And no it is not selfish, it is a TOOL for survival. It's not because there are a few dumb romance self sacrifice that it's stupid.
    You are mistaking it with abnegation for a cause which is dumber imo. And is it really bad to self sacrifice out of selfishness ?
    I mean everything humans do is based on selfishnesseven being kind to others is just a way to be happy yourself.

And also being a survivor is harder than sacrificng yourself to save other,you don't have to bear the guilt

Readingaddict36 likes this.
  14. mrawesome69

mrawesome69 I'm getting too old for this shit

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not sacrifice or anything but if someone hurts my sisters i will make them disapear.

15. Aternus

Aternus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If my wife sacrificed herself to have our child id hate her eternally.

I see most sacrifice as being unable to live with the alternative as a general view.

NekoMK2 likes this.
  16. lygarx

lygarx Lazy Translator

Reading List:
    Link
    regrading? or Regarding
    I don't think Sacrifice and self sacrifice was ever really graded in the first place.

NekoMK2 likes this.
  17. passingthunder

passingthunder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It might just be because I just finished the latest chapter of a "Thought through Eternity" but people willingly putting themselves in danger for the sake of others are pretty cool people, who in my opinion should be admired. Take firemen, sometimes going into that fire means their lives.

However, in the way "self sacrifice" is used in fiction written by (many though not all) people who very likely haven't/would never do such a thing. Of course there's going to be bias in the way its written/represented.

18. maskedcerf

maskedcerf DCLXVI

Reading List:
    Link
    Sacrificien yourself for another make you an hero even if its stupid
    Then if your life objectif is to be an hero do it

19. mansour1

mansour1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm everyone has his own opinion and views about this matter
    Dont Judge anything without knowing all the possible factors
    Self Sacrificing isn't as selfish as you describe it to be, you might say a father who saves his own daughter in exchange of his is selfish and you can say it isn't.
    Dont let your mind be easily swayed never believe anything, not even the truth you never know there might be a lie in the truth and a truth in the lie.
    As on my view on self sacrifice, i dont have any particular one i dont have any right to judge ones decision, you never know what lies within his mind or what is the real reason.

20. SilverxCalibur

SilverxCalibur ...

Reading List:
    Link
    I respect those who have the resolve to sacrifice themselves for what they believe in. However, I do believe that sometimes that the sacrifice is unnecessary.

People who sacrifice themselves are sometimes selfish but the survivors that accuse them of it are just guilty pricks. "Boo hoo, woe is me. I get to go on living a happy life while my partner/friend goes unimaginable pain and suffering to makes this happen. They are sooo selfish!." What kind of asshole must you be disregard a person's greatest gift as just selfishness. They give up everything just so that others can have the opportunity to live. Survivors may feel guilty but they will get over it. Life moves on. Which is the reason, I remind you, why sacrifice was even a viable option.

Readingaddict36 and maskedcerf like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.