Discussion Genre I Hate: Gender-Bender

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by sleib, May 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wantek

wantek Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    do body swap between different sex count as gender bender too?
    kokoro connect has it and i'm fine with it, yaoi freak me out more than this

2. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    It does~

3. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Although body swapping stories can be problematic regardless of if it is gender bender or not.
    Some stories with it might not seem too bad if it is between friends who trust each other, but there are plenty of others where it might be complete strangers that suddenly have control of each others body.
    Even worse if one of the characters is a villain.

4. rf

rf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Count me in!!

zetsuen_dark likes this.
  5. sleib

sleib Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I loved "Your Name" anime. The first reactions were more realistic and it was not permanent either. Also, anime itself was very good.

Last edited: May 24, 2021
  6. Hweianime

Hweianime Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have to say I'm also not much of a fan. Though it's not bad if done correctly (but usually it has like allll the cliche ngl). I especially dislike the yaoi ones? I say one or two in passing I'm pretty sure where a fujoshi or something turns into a guy and gets into a gay relationship but I'm a bit like, bruh, just, why.

7. sleib

sleib Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have not read fujoshi one...but sometimes I am also like...Why? How? That's not how humans behave...

8. Hweianime

Hweianime Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ikr and I'm kinda like- what's the point honestly. Like I sort of get it, they want to make it more easy to self insert the reader into the mc but it's like, that's not really what we came here for though? I prefer crossdressing mc much better or something you know?

9. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't get your point much? I mean... If a straight girl goes through FtM gender bender, why would her preferences change? She should still like men usually.

The fact that she is a fujoshi should be irrelevant for that...

Nimroth and aShinyVaporeon like this.
  10. Nepagear

Nepagear Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    actually the only thing I find problems in gender bender is how they act and escape reality, it is afterall our body which defines our gender and not our minds....so I don't know why male-female char can't accept the fact they're now a female.... afterall if you think about it their mind is only that of a male because their past life us a male....if their past life was a female then their mind would also be a female....so why now accept that they're now a female because they have a female body....as for me my mind would stick to my current body which is male, if somehow I reincarnated or whatever and still regained my memories but I became a female then I would still be straight and marry a male because I have a female body...

btw les, gay or bi is a diff topic altogether, because whatever their bodies would be their preference wouldn't still change

11. sleib

sleib Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was not talking about fujoshi, that's why I literally wrote "I have not read fujoshi one". You should have quoted the reply above mine.

I disagree, there are people in the world which do not think their body is of the right gender and some think that it belongs to the opposite one.

12. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess I should have been more specific in my quoting, my bad.
    I was mainly replying to this point, as it didn't seem to make much sense to me.

Disliking the base premise of a work of fiction or with the way an author moves a given series is fine IMO. I just didn't feel like it made much sense to say "that's not how humans behave" in the context of the post/reply in question.

13. cleodux

cleodux Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think if it done correctly i dont mind reading such stories. I hate harem.
    But i do believe usually only female author can do this story justly or at least somewhat make the story well digest and the story targeted audience usually also for female reader.

I like to read the gender bender cross dressing type. like It's Not Easy to Be a Man After Travelling to the Future.

And if you want a good example male to female story can try read The Promotion Record of A Crown Princess.

There are a good gender bender story out there. Dont give up on the genre :)
    Harem story is just a male fantasy fetish to have relationship with a lot of sluts.

In reality harem story is a bloodbath backstabbing bitches to gain power and manipulate your man to your bidding (insert harem politics court drama here).

As much as i like to read trash cultivation novel those revenge reincarnation op MC who kill all trash he encounter, it turn me off to read infidelity and cheap harem romance in between. Like can the author create a normal women inside the story? this is why i read bl novel.

end rant.

14. sleib

sleib Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was just talking in general since I have not read fujoshi stories the person I replied to was talking about. I generally do not like when characters behave in a way that does not make sense even taking into account that humans are different and can be irrational. That's just one big minus some stories in general have and I do not like it. People behaving like it's another day after gender-bender is just one of such cases.

Last edited: May 30, 2021
  15. Ahodesuga

Ahodesuga °˖✧Aho desu ga, Nani ka?✧˖° 《Liking Fiend》

Reading List:
    Link
    Relatable. Lol.

sleib likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.