Genuine question, why do people like drama?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by fakhruddins, May 23, 2022.

1. fakhruddins

fakhruddins Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This has been on my mind since I started reading / watching any type of story. I can understand why a story would be exciting if there were twists and turns, but why are drama and/or misunderstandings in terms of romance so popular? Coming from someone who hate it, any time I see a love rival appear, anytime the romance becomes a love triangle, I just completely start to lose interest in the story. Its just so jarring when the author purposefully separates the couple or forcefully insert a third person into the relationship.

2. T. Mika

T. Mika Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In a romance, we are all under the assumption that the two main leads will inevitably fall in love in the end. An introduction of a love rival presents a conflict that adds some spice to that inevitable result. Hence it's a nice way to keep most readers engaged.

It doesn't necessarily have to be a love rival though, there are many things that can add that drama.

Amaruna Myu likes this.
  3. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I looooooove drama. Especially love in relationships~

I dunno, I just find things to be more entertaining when there is trouble and worrying and the like involved?

That said... I like my characters being reasonable and capable or proper communication... I hate silly misunderstandings that could easily be solved by talking to your partner for 5s, for example.

I also hate a random love rival appearing out of nowhere making the MC doubt herself after she is already on an established relationship with her boyfriend... Like, hello? You're on a relationship already. Try trusting your partner a bit instead of worrying over nothing?

Essentially, I like well-written drama, not the cheap drama that you know that will amount to nothing.

4. laexdream

laexdream Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess it’s cause it makes the characters feel different emotions, and we can watch as those emotions and events play out, without us being the ones involved. Like listening to gossip, except you feel like you’re actually there in the moment. If there was no drama, the story would be just, they lived happily ever after, and probably a bit stale. Of course, the drama needs to be tasteful, or else it’d be cliche or annoying xD

5. zarvi

zarvi Ojisan

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm the total opposite, I start to get bored when the couple started going out, we already know where it is going anyways.

I want the mixed emotions the drama brings.

6. fakhruddins

Reading List:
    Link
    See I can understand those ones, but the ones where we get introduced to a love interest, we go for chapter after chapter seeing how their relationship grow, only for there to a be a love rival after a long time, then at the end, the first love interest is non existent, those ones i despise to the bone

I kind of get it, but also not at the same time, if done right, the relaxing, slice of life-esque period after getting together are my favourite parts of a novel.

yeah, those are just dumb. I don’t understand why some characters don’t have to common sense to speak their mind or just the simple action of actually talking to their partners.

AliceShiki likes this.
  7. Tsubaki -

Tsubaki - Unknown Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I tend to avoid love triangles and family-related drama in novels. But, I'm fine with one or two chapters as long as it's not dragged on for too long.
    Depending on my mood, I like novels more that either have no conflict or where the drama is caused by the main characters themselves rather than a third person.
    For example, the author 聪明机智菜菜菜 wrote a similar scene in two of her novels. The main characters want to marry, but don't do so. In
    一顾千年 they don't get married because an annoying princess intervenes and in 东方不败之杨莲亭重生 the main character takes back his initial agreement because he fears going against societal norms. To me, the second scenario is a lot more interesting, even though it makes him seem like a coward.

8. T. Mika

T. Mika Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah I see what you mean, especially when the first love interest fades to the background. All that time getting invested with a character is pretty much wasted. In that case, I'd say that's poor story telling.

If you're going to introduce a love rival, you still have to do it strategically. I think a classic anime example is Nisekoi. Regardless of who you were rooting for, the setup for the story was for
    Chitoge and Raku to inevitably end up together (classic romeo and juliet)
    The introductions of other love rivals did not interfere with that but still added spice.

9. Zeusomega

Zeusomega M.D of Olympus Pvt Ltd. Seeking [Boltzmann brain]

Reading List:
    Link
    Prince William loved princess Dorothy, both families were happy! Wedding went well! And they lived happily ever after.

Not quite the bestseller story is it?:blobpeek:

Now how about this.

Prince William fell in love with Princess Dorothy, but found she had been betrothed to the crown prince since childhood.

Crown prince loathed the forced arrangement and was even more disgusted and furious at Dorothy for being the cause of his misery.

Dorothy herself yearned for freedom to tread her own path, she never missed a chance to escape and find moments of freedom. Ofcourse every time she was caught and taken back to safety.

In between the time prince william was hesitant and forth coming, the princess and the crown prince had unexpectedly created a rapport of sorts.

Slowly understanding her helplessness, just like him made the crown prince to slowly form warm feelings.

Dorothy saw an aide to escapades in the crown prince... oblivious to crown prince's growing affection.

Prince William now determined to pursue his love no matter the cost, meets the princesses. Having some understanding of relationships he first becomes a friend she could confide to.

Dorothy as lively and high spirited she looks wasn't that ignorant to Williams intentions. Yet she found their interactions amusing so went along.

Sneaking every once a week with William and a month long "vacation" with crown prince every summer, Dorothy enjoyed few years in the hard earned freedom from cage.

Few months left before the grand wedding, the crown prince confided his changed feelings. They had agreed to annul the wedding at ceremony, now Dorothy felt like a noose tightened around her neck.

Over time Dorothy truly fell in love with the straight minded prince william, his innocence and determination towards their love truly had won her over. The friendship with the crown prince was just that, crown prince had been too complacent in his expressions, afraid she might reject his feelings.

Now forced into a crossroad between crown prince and prince william, Dorothy was conflicted. One side she treasured the friendship and help crown prince gave her over the years, on the other side her love for williams was deep and true.

In the end, the king found out about his son's dilemma and the shenanigans of his would be daughter in law. He had prince williams executed and the princess wedded to the crown prince as a concubine.

And they lived miserably ever after. :)

:blobpeek:

Shiki likes this.
  10. Esha07

Esha07 ☄your favorite meanie࿐ྂ

Reading List:
    Link
    I like dramas but involving misunderstandings to the fullest and adding unnecessary love triangles are not my cup of tea.

To put simply, I like face slapping dramas with intense suspense, thrill and few goosebumps. I like the feeling of getting hooked of what's gonna happen the next moment i turn the page and feel the " 1 more chapter " urge.

Dramas can be depicted in many ways , some like romance dramas , some like sad ones and some like me love the hooked ones.

I am a melon eater~

11. fakhruddins

Reading List:
    Link
    You can do so much more with the first story without having to add any drama.
    The second story does not sound entertaining what so ever

12. Vanidor

Vanidor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ideally drama in fiction develops the characters, or the relationship, or even points out a 'moral' or mini 'lesson'.

A generic example from teen romance movies: Girl A glows up, starts being wooed by Hot Guy C instead of her friend Nice Guy B who helped her realize she was pretty, ????, Girl A realizes she shouldn't be shallow and picks Nice Guy B because he loves her for who she is instead of T&A/pretty face. There's the lesson of Hot Guys are fine but it should be one that loves you for more than your skin. But it's also the development arc of the Girl A, she tries things, fails, tries, fails, learns and succeeds.

In other fiction the 'moral' or mini 'lesson' might be: 5 seconds of communication would have avoided everything. Just by watching what goes wrong you can often see what the lesson might have been.

It's kind of like those bad Dhar Man videos but stretched out and meant to be more immersive. If you've never watched them...don't.

Less ideally it's there just to make things less predictable, or to extend the book.

Edit:
    So, some of that appeals to people. Not everyone obviously, but some people. Same way a young farm boy (Luke, Rand al'Thor, etc.) growing up, learning, appeals to some Fantasy fans but not all.

Some people don't like the characters to suffer, or do dumb mistakes, or cringe, so they read slice of life or OP MC's, etc. Nothing wrong with that.

Personally I don't mind drama, but only to a point.

Last edited: May 24, 2022
  13. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So I can ready my popcorn.:p

But, too much misunderstanding and quarrel without ending when the point always come back again and again are not something I want to read. It's just tiresome.

14. Zeusomega

Zeusomega M.D of Olympus Pvt Ltd. Seeking [Boltzmann brain]

Reading List:
    Link
    Prove it

15. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    That's because a lot of people won't appreciate something that is too easily obtained. :hmm:

16. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    drama is not same as misunderstand.... anyway drama is usual conflic, a hurdle to overcome~ it usually show problem on society, personal or intra personal relationship, plenty of such~ its like people smacking each other on action stuff~ it can be hard to pull interesting one mind you~ this cat like drama cuz usually it involve clash of emotion, ideology, personality and such~ similar to any good action.... a bad drama imo equal to bad action~

17. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Do they? Do actual people really like drama? I thought it was the authors' conspiracy. It's so boring and annoying, and it reads like filler plot.

18. 7starkiller99

7starkiller99 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    People like drama because it’s usually more interesting than zero conflict or story. There’s also a misconception that all drama is negative. A lot of times it can be well written so that it’s a more creative way to describe different character’s viewpoints or ideas.

Example: One person likes strawberries and another person likes oranges.

The author could simply state it, or create a scenario where this minor detail takes center stage.
    Say, these two people end up judging a fruit tasting competition but their personal biases lead to conflict, thus creating drama over the competition’s final result. Or maybe later one person has to order fruit for dessert and they only get one type of fruit. These sort of events all help to make the fictional world seem more real (or fantastical) in the reader’s mind.