Getting words on the page?

Discussion in 'Author Discussions' started by Maelstrom08, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Maelstrom08

Maelstrom08 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Im definitely the first type as you said. I should follow your example as well, since I feel like it would fit me. Thanks
    Also can you tell me some of the ways to practice?

2. Galooza

Galooza The One True Walapalooza

Reading List:
    Link
    The main thing is just to get in a practice of writing something and sticking to a schedule. Whether it's your story or just writing freestyle, whatever comes to mind. It's the consistent practice of writing that gets the mind to kick in with ideas when you write. A good thing to do for our type is plan out certain ideas for your chapter/arc then step away and do something else, maybe write freestyle. A lot of ideas are less likely to come when you're thinking about it.

Maelstrom08 likes this.
  3. Maelstrom08

Reading List:
    Link
    Yea I know what you mean, the majority of my good ideas are from random thoughts and inspiration. So just write quick short stories or such? Or would just writing whatever comes to mid work?

4. Galooza

Galooza The One True Walapalooza

Reading List:
    Link
    Nothing in particular, just write. If you wanna write your story, do that. If you don't feel like it, just try writing something and whatever comes comes. Thinking about it, freestyle really is a good practice as it lets you unload whatever might be on your mind so you can focus better.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    Maelstrom08 likes this.
  5. Maelstrom08

Reading List:
    Link
    Thats all the questions I have. This is actually really helpful advice. Thank you

6. Arexio

Arexio Blob Fanatic | AG Player

Reading List:
    Link
    @Maelstrom08

I have to agree with @Silver Snake on his point about choosing one main character.

From the writing tips online that I've seen, most authors recommend amateurs start out with just one main character. You can make the other 4 secondary characters, but the problems begin to pile up if you actually want a good, well-written story.

For example, from this author-blogger here. She goes on and talks about it and gives some pretty strong suggestions about Viewpoint Characters/Multiple MCs:

1. "Make sure you actually need every viewpoint character." (I think you should revisit the number 5).
    2. "Keep your structures flexible." (She's saying you don't have to give all the characters equal screen time).
    3. "Try to have the plotlines with separate viewpoint characters comment on each other." (Basically your world might explode and become too big if they don't constantly allude to each other).
    4. "Try to make sure your readers have fun with your viewpoint characters." (Bc readers will just skip those chapters/sections if they find the character too boring).
    5. "Keep in mind always the limitations of the particular viewpoint structure you have chosen." (Can't mix up omniscient, first-person, and other viewpoints).

And that's really just the barest of bones. You should check out her blog as she goes WAY more in-depth and provides some pretty good examples from published literature.

Just wanted to give that resource (she gives more tips about other topics too for fantasy novels) as I know it helped me out a lot when someone linked it on ScribbleHub forums.

That's all.

Maelstrom08 and Silver Snake like this.
  7. Maelstrom08

Reading List:
    Link
    This actually is a really good blog. Thankfully, a good amount of my characters don't seem to have these problems. The story does focus on five characters and they are almost always grouped together, so its not five different stories, but just one main story, where some arcs may have more focus on one of the five at times. I was really conflicted on what type of viewpoint to use, and the blog helped me finally choose third person limited with the five main characters. Other than for a single gag character, only the thought of the main characters are going to be shown.

Other than that, she definitely gave all around good advice.

Thanks for the link, I can definitely say it helped me!

Arexio likes this.
  8. Arexio

Reading List:
    Link
    Glad it helped you!

She also has ~400ish other articles like this one on a myriad of topics, most of them related to fantasy settings, but many of applicable to most stories just in general.

Here's the link to the list if you haven't seen it: LINK
    The above few are probably more relevant to your situation and story with the multiple characters.

Maelstrom08 likes this.
  9. Maelstrom08

Reading List:
    Link
    I haven't read any of them yet, but I can tell they will be pretty useful considering the first one. Thanks a lot for showing me this

Arexio likes this.
  10. Arexio

Reading List:
    Link
    No problem. Good luck!

Maelstrom08 likes this.