Discussion Given a chance of your lifetime, shall you save or continue?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Lazriser, Jan 18, 2019.

?

Accept or reject the Demon King's Superior offer?

1. Accept!

16 vote(s)
    72.7%
  2. Reject!

6 vote(s)
    27.3%
  1. KurouDaijuji

KurouDaijuji Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This may be a test of character, but not necessarily that of the person to whom this "dilemma" is put.

No evidence has been offered that OP, or the character they would present as, is an honest broker, nor has there been any mention (that I caught) of any reliable method of testing their veracity, of course the same applies to the offer made by the demons.

That being said, both offers made are (AFAICT) inherently immoral, & thus the one made my by the Demons is more likely to be honored, if only because it's playing to their strengths.

So I would attempt to reject the first offer, & if my choice there was overridden, I'd choose that of the Demons, as either they were being more honest in actually giving me a choice, or being just as dishonest in pretending to do so.

2. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I like the way you think, but not the way you handle things.
    The hero's insignia enables you literally the perks of a hero's tales, thus living the destiny of a hero. To remove the brand is to become your original self, prior to transmigration to this new world. Would the demon king still fear you, if you're powerless? Nay! They would own you literally, because you're basically human now. That is why, should you accept their offer, a new hero will come to reclaim your "power" along with vanquish "you", the new demon king.
    By first offer, you mean prior to becoming the hero? If so, then you will simply forget whatever happen, since time will be erased prior to the event happening, to keep uncontrollable variables from interfering in the war. If you meant rejecting the demon king's Superior offer, then you will simply set out what you were summoned to do in this world. You could then choose to return to your timeline without the powers or experience of your life in this other world, or become an eternal defender against the source of everything chaotic.

3. MagneticMagnet

MagneticMagnet Well-Known Magnet

Reading List:
    Link
    These kind of deals are too good to be true, there's always a catch. That said, it could go for the hero offer too...

Of course the situation can be different if the demon king has a proper motive for his actions, but for the purpose of this specific case the demon king is not one of those and it has become clear through the journey.

Does the world deserve saving? Considering the ability to imagine whatever life I want, yes there will be at least some worth saving.

So what are the outcomes of accepting or rejecting the offer?
    -Accepting will save everyone I care about. The litigation, implications and and small print are unclear.
    -Rejecting will kill the demon king, rendering him unable to cause further harm. There might be failsafe plans in motion in case the demon king is killed, though. Or he might just be playing time for his kill-everyone-in-a-city-magic to complete while you consider the offer.

Overall I believe rejecting the offer is a better plan. A story that ends with "And they lived happily until the end of their lives watching the world burn around them and their children's souls were locked into eternal torture" is a bad end.

4. Finalbeta

Finalbeta Science Nerd

Reading List:
    Link
    Instinct says to reject

5. valzione

valzione Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, that's why, if I became their hero, it's not like I would become powerless, so I could easily turn on them, eventually.

As for losing the brand? If I get the choice at the end of the adventure, I'd have lived a fulfilling life of a hero already, returning to my mundane life, not having to deal with everyone's fear of being a weapon more powerful than the most feared being people knew, not having to deal with burdens of being a ruler or such.

Assuming the story doesn't end there, I'd likely be called in to defeat another evil somewhere, then again and again, thus becoming eternal wanderer that belongs nowhere. Ergo sacrificing myself selflessly for good of all for little actual gain.

I like helping people every now and then if I can, but if I'd have to live for that and only that, all I can say is "no thanks".

6. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    Plot to profit from Demon vs human buying up property in flashpoints and selling both side weapons and techniques.

7. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Their, who? The source of everything chaotic or the source of your heroic existence? Anyways, you got the overall situation correct.

8. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    Create fake losses and wins, balancing out the casualties of both races, forcing them to slowly exhaust themselves until I could take over. As long as there is war, the hero would be valued and revered. Maybe becoming the underworld uncrowned overlord of both races would also work.

As long as I "tried" to defeat the demons and "help" the humans, I would always enjoy the benefits of the Hero Stats.

9. Adislt2

Adislt2 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i will find the truth of both sides first
    Is demon really creature of malice and cruelty or just another intelligent being that living in that world that have lifestyle that just different by human standard
    Because if what i joined at the end is just war of conquest or genocide and not war for bring peace i will accept the offer

10. Miserys_End

Miserys_End 「Lv1 Pretend Person」I'm the preson i pretend to be

Reading List:
    Link
    Order breeds stagnation, chaos breeds change. To much change and things fall apart, to much order allows corruption to take root and flourish. So long as things remain in balance, the worlds will prosper. So the question is, who is the real final arbitrator? I would rather be the one that maintains the balance rather then an agent of change or a templar for order.