LCD God of Tennis

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by jacobpaige, Jun 9, 2018.

1. jacobpaige

jacobpaige Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Series link: https://www.novelupdates.com/series/god-of-tennis/

C0: "Wimbledon, which was one of the four major tennis tournaments in Korea." Since when did Wimbledon move from the UK?

If that was the price agreed upon, then wouldn't that mean that he'd quit tennis early on? The title seems a bit off if he's going to become a coach or something.

C1.1: What kind of tennis player doesn't have at least two rackets? What if one of the strings broke?

It'll be interesting if this system simply helps him to direct his training in a more profitable manner so as to properly exploit the talent he already had rather than making him super OP with relatively minimal effort.

C1.2: There really should be some adjustment needed. After all, his younger body would be far more responsive than the one that he was used to. It would be very easy to put too much strength in or move too fast and wind up missing the ball or sending it to the wrong place.

Ah, so this is an instant OP system. It may still be fun, but I would have preferred something that forced him to struggle more and succeed in spite of his flaws rather than simply erasing them.

C1.3: How is anyone supposed to compete against a serve like that? It'd be literally impossible for him to lose unless that skill has a cooldown or very low accuracy.

I really thought he'd ask Choi Yeon Hyuk for a match. Even if he knew he was going to lose, it would likely still have been a valuable experience with a high probability of raising one or more of his skills.

C2.1: If he literally never won anything, I have to wonder why the coach kept burning his own reputation to keep the MC around. Hard work and dedication were obviously not doing it, and allowing him to stay on the payroll and continue lying to himself about his future wasn't really doing anyone any favors.

You should never scold a guard for doing their job. Always thank them. That way, when someone who's not supposed to be allowed in shows up, they'll have the confidence to do their job, knowing beyond doubt that they won't get in trouble for it.

What else is NK involved in for it to be one of the top five economic pillars? It can't possibly just be tennis when it's been stated to be relatively unpopular.

Weren't they already told by the coach that they'd be getting a different contract? Why are they confused now?

There's no mention of endorsement fees. As I understand it, that's the lion's share of an athlete's income, and employers will usually want at least some control over who, or what the players can or will endorse.

I know it says that they're not getting salaries, but honestly, the level of support they're being given almost completely removes the need for salaries so long as their lives revolve around tennis.

How did it go from being a 20 page contract to being a three page contract?

C2.3: I wouldn't say he achieved nothing. He could easily have transitioned into being a coach and had a good chance at having a successful coaching career. It's not what he wanted for sure, but it's also not nothing.

C3.1: "practice would be useless. It would only increase my physical capabilities." I thought he was a pro for ten years? As someone who watched his body deteriorate over the course of a decade, he should have more appreciation for physical capabilities than anyone. He should also know that having good stats can make up for having sub-par skills, and having both good stats and good skills can make him an unbeatable monster.

I wonder if he'll exploit his future knowledge to make a few investments. No reason not to after all, and having a financial cushion is almost never a bad thing.

"I will calculate your practice experience." Is this just a translation anomaly, or does the system actually have a sense of self?

C3.2: "For using a volley for the first time, your volley level has risen by one." Seriously? The system might as well just increase all his skills by one then, and I'd like to know how he hasn't gotten the forehand 10 pt skill yet when he had a 9 in it and hadn't used it yet. I find it difficult to believe that he didn't use it in that match. It's far too integral of a skill for any match that doesn't consist solely of aces to not have it.

‘Okay, in this world, the weak are wrong and the strong are right.’ This is a terrible attitude to have, especially if you're about to become one of the strong.

C4.1: For the first tournament, they really should do round robin rather than single elimination. They need to know the actual relative strength of the players, which single elimination really doesn't tell them; unless they believe that luck is the most important attribute of all.

C4.3: If it's going to be this easy to raise his skills, then there's basically no reason for him to not have 20s across the board before his first tournament. What's he supposed to do after that?

Didn't Sparrow not bounce the first time he used it? Why did it bounce this time?

Wujigege likes this.
  2. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Why not to write a sports stories unless it has more drama than sports cuz what makes sports awesome is the suspense, not plot armor.

otaku31 and Meloman like this.
  3. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    Plot armor destroys suspense though. And unlike action series, you can actually let your protagonist lose without them dying or the series ending. Baby Steps (manga or anime) is an excellent example of this.

MangoGuy likes this.
  4. Pineapple Soda

Pineapple Soda Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Translator here. Regarding C0 about the wimbledon, that was my mistake, meant to write world instead of Korea.Thanks for pointing out a lot of mistakes! :)
    Will try to fix them. Some of the mistakes are from the author so don't know what to do there lol
    Thanks for reading! :D

jacobpaige and otaku31 like this.
  5. Dizzcity

Dizzcity Watching generations of fans rise and fall away

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm liking the overall setup of the series so far, but I have a few reservations: the MC's "might makes right" attitude is starting to piss me off, even though I can understand how his past experiences might have shaped his character. Hope this will be a point of future character growth for him, rather than just going cold-hearted elitist all the way.

I'm in two minds about the serve suddenly having a special name. It feels like this series could head towards Prince of Tennis with its' wildly unrealistic special moves rather than Baby Steps. It also makes me wonder just how much the author actually knows about tennis.

jacobpaige likes this.
  6. foxyprince

foxyprince Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    But action series has a lot of plot armor they don't actually die, somehow they survive even the craziest things... then what happens afterward is the usual, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. losing means a lot more though the process of bouncing back is much interesting to read cuz you could actually relate it to life rather than powering up out of nowhere or mindless training cuz they try to analyze what they lack and work on it... I enjoy it though those crazy power ups sometimes you know he'll lose then you wait for that moment all hell break lose in his mind and actually powers up.

7. foxyprince

foxyprince Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    it's alarming but in sports you have to win to make a statement, but that's just supposed to be in the court and not outside. hope you are right too that the character actually grows =)

8. PenguinXeus

PenguinXeus Just A Penguin, Kigurumi Wakuseijin

Reading List:
    Link
    maybe for all those reason above, he is not pro in the past life

9. tyes77

tyes77 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Managed to read the mtl of it and its a fun series can't wait to see the emperor :D

10. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    Why does his status say he's hungover when he's clearly drunk? The two are related sure, but they're not the same.

Doesn't a double fault result in 15 points for the opponent? Shouldn't the score be 0:45? Also, why is it listed as a fault when it's clearly a double fault? Did he not actually hit the net twice?

11. bob3002

bob3002 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So... I guess that explains why the author's pseudonym is McEnroe then :blobpats:

I've been following Book Eating Magician, guess I'll check this one out too.

12. Pineapple Soda

Reading List:
    Link
    ask the author lol

13. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    I was kinda expecting/hoping that he'd explain that he got angry at the two because they disrespected tennis, not because they weren't talented, and that his respect for people was based on their attitudes and effort rather than their talent. As it is, I'm a bit unclear if this really is his stance or if he just hates everyone.

I wonder if he'll win. He really shoulnd't and I'm kinda hoping that he won't, but the author is trying so hard to paint him as the underdog that it's hard to say one way or the other.

14. Pineapple Soda

Reading List:
    Link
    You're right about how he dislikes everyone because they disrespect tennis, the reason is because he played for ten years and made no progress in it and seeing how these people actually get paid for acting like that pisses him off.
    You'll find out if he wins or loses, soon. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

15. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    He's definitely going to return Sparrow, but I wonder if he's also going to copy it.
    Oh, I know he was angry at those specific people for that reason, but I'm not clear on if he just hates people in general. So far, the only one's he's had a positive opinion of have been the coach and the CEO, and that was because they had gone out of their ways for him at one time or another.

16. Abe Froman

Abe Froman Sausage King of Chicago

Reading List:
    Link
    it should be listed as a double fault. and I think the reason it says 0:30 is because the drunk guy is trying to (again) not count the first point that got returned. also, the points in tennis go 0, 15, 30, 40, game so it wouldn't be 45.

17. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    I got the impression it was the MC that said 0:30 though? As I recall, the opponent got mad immediately after it was said, and the MC made no attempt to correct it. Also, it wasn't said until after the shot that came after the double fault, which means that the 0:30 generated by the double fault was never mentioned. I think this is probably just author error. Though, whether this is due to a typo or a lack of research is less certain.

Yeah, that break in pattern has always confused me. I rarely remember it.

18. Abe Froman

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought the same at first but I looked back and gave the author the benefit of the doubt and thought of what I mentioned earlier. also, the server announces the score before each point.

and yeah someone told me the break in pattern is to reduce the syllables you would get if you said out "forty-five"

19. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    Just how lazy did the people who wrote the rules need to be to care about a single syllable? And if it was that important to them, why didn't they just go with 0, 1, 2, 3 and save an additional three syllables?

20. Abe Froman

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it's one of those things where it happened so long ago that now it's just tradition to continue it. I think it may have started in france so maybe people didn't think "un" was assertive/clear enough

Wujigege likes this.