Spoiler Golden Stage (BL)

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by makarich, Dec 26, 2018.

1. makarich

makarich Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/golden-stage/

The notorious imperial court lackey and the meritorious military general were well-known for their mutual dislike, a pair of arch-enemies set in stone. Who could have foreseen the unexpected change in the winds of heaven: the general injured on the battlefield, both legs disabled, and even forced by the emperor to marry his nemesis.

With one marriage edict, two people with mutual hostility are forced to marry and live under the same roof. Yet after these long days together, they come to the realization that this fellow is not truly devoid of any saving grace/unattainable and high out of reach.

This one sounds very interesting. Spoilers please!

2. morticia_addams

morticia_addams Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  3. scriptor

scriptor 『Sigilmaster』 『Immortal Sage』

Reading List:
    Link
    I skimmed this one a bit (not in detail), but here goes:

MC (the general) and ML (imperial court lackey) are unexpectedly sweet on each other. ML (pretty sure he's gong) dotes on MC a lot and takes care of all his needs. They sort out their trust issues fairly quickly and soon it moves into married life.

The plot is centered around why MC was nearly assassinated/had his legs ruined. From what I gather, MC was from a rebellious (royal?) family and he's a power risk to emperor. His sister (or mother?) is the Empress. We find this out waaaaay later though.

It ends with ML being really competent behind the scenes and helping solve like 80% of the issues with the Emperor (who is actually not the greatest ruler). Turns out ML's brown-nosing was to stay under the radar while he slowly poisoned the Emperor lol... first it was an infertility drug so he wouldn't get any of his concubines pregnant after the heir was born. Then it was followed by a poison that would make Emperor look like he'd gotten some kind of heart disease that eventually would take his life. Emperor dies and MC shows up and arrests dissenters, setting up Empress's son as heir to the throne.

4. purple_mangosteen

purple_mangosteen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Seems interesting but mtl is difficult for this one. I'm not really sure whether I got it right or no especially the names. Mtl names often are so absurd.

Fu shen (MC) came from military family. His father and grandfather were great general. They passed away in battlefield. After dad passed away, the position went to young MC. Despite his age, MC was natural born leader, clever and righteous. He led his army to victory. The border of the empire was safe under his guard.

In a few years, Mc had became larger than life figure. Everyone knew his name. People even sang a song about his achievement.
    The emperor was wary of MC. The great northern army was tied to Fu family for three generations. It was too dangerous.

MC got hurt and his legs were ruined. But he didn't die. The incident spread all over the empire. After that, he returned to the capital.

At night ML came to see him, taking with him a doctor. They talked.
    MC revealed that it wasn't accident like reported. Assasins actually shot arrows at him.
    While people said that ML and MC were archenemy or biggest rival, it's actually over exagerrated. It's true that they disagree in many matters but MC was a general and Ml was a minister, the emperor's right hand, they were on different side.

Mc had younger sister, fu ling, from the same mother. Fu ling married prince Qi.
    He also had stepmother, surnamed Qin and half younger brother, fu ya. Qin and fu ya rejoiced over MC's misfortune caused that meant they can take over the title.

Rumours spread in the capital that MC was into man. In this dynasty, there was male wife custom. The emperor would bestow important people with male wife so they can't have heir and the family ended with them. That way, imperial family didn't need to worry about potential enemy in the future.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  5. hothotpot

hothotpot Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    :aww::aww::aww::aww: Thank you for the spoilers! Tho, is the sweetness of the ML to MC very very very fluffy? :blobmelt::blobmelt::blobmelt:

6. morticia_addams

morticia_addams Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What happened to his scheming step family then

hothotpot likes this.
  7. purple_mangosteen

purple_mangosteen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I haven't read that far. The chapter is so long and the words are so formal/serious.

Chap 7-10

- MC found box inside his study. Once he opened it, he saw an arrow. The same type of arrow that almost killed him.
    Who put it there? MC gathered every servants in Fu residence and asked them. One of the servant said that people from MC's stepmother family came to the house.
    MC dismissed every servant of the house and replaced them with his soldiers.that way, he could be assured of the safety.

- ML sent people to warn MC about the rumour.

- fu ling, MC's younger sister came to visit him. She was saddened to see her brother's condition. But she had happy news. Fu ling was pregnant. Hearing that, MC told her to go home and take care of herself. There's also a belief that sick person shouldn't come near pregnant woman for fear of bad luck.

- the emperor called ML. He bestowed marriage to MC. ML was shocked. He tried to refuse but failed. Emperor wanted ML to take over MC's army using the marriage.
    ML thought, 'these hundred thousands soldier has gone to war with fu shen for years. They have followed Fu family for three generations. Do you think they will switch side so easily?' The emperor simply doesn't understand.
    At the same time, the emperor sent his eunuch with the edict to MC. Once MC read it, he went to the palace and knelt in the middle of the rain despite his wounds and useless legs.

- ML went to speak with MC. Since it was raining heavily, MC got fever. ML took MC to his house and called for famous doctor, named Shen zhen.
    The doctor diagnosed MC and saw wounds littered on MC's body, old and new, the result of the years of battle.
    He commented that normal person already dead with these kind of wounds. But MC with his strength managed to shoulder on.

- ML heard it and thought about what MC is going to do next. He would never be able to replace MC. And there would be second MC in the world. Mc has kept the northern border of the empire safe all these years. But this great wall, that managed to keep foreign army away, is demolished by its own people.

- ML asked Shen zhen, "how confident are you about curing his legs?
    The doctor replied 1-2 percent.
    Shen zhen sympathized and respected MC whom he thought as great general. Before, he thought that as long as fu shen was healthy then the capital will be always safe.
    ML then ordered shen zhen to take over MC's treatment.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  8. Attica

Attica Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for making the spoilers thread guys!! These chapters are pretty long and have lots of references/footnotes, so my translations are likely going to be fairly slow.

For some additional context... ML is the head of the emperor’s personal guard. At one point he says that everything he had right now, he owes to the emperor. And the emperor is currently rather paranoid of MC’s military power. That’s why ML has some inherent philosophical differences with MC, who’s more on the side of “I serve the people, not the emperor.”

The first extra also drops a bombshell spoiler explaining a lot of ML’s initial loyalties and motivations ;)

Over time ML grows to realize the emperor is too paranoid, and he chooses to throw everything he has onto MC’s side instead.

It is indeed very fluffy. Despite their appearances and backgrounds, MC is secretly super cute, while ML is secretly very warm.

Btw the author labeled this as “first marriage then love” but honestly that’s not really accurate:

MC and ML actually ran into each other in their teenage years, when MC was more of a peppy kid before he had to go to war. it’s hinted both had mutual crushes on each other that didn’t pan out due to their differing circumstances.

Their first ever encounter was when MC is in a parade/procession where girls are throwing flowers at him. He doesn’t really need the flower so he flings it away. This flower just happens to land in the lap of an imperial guard—ML. ML passingly returns the flower to MC with some hint of teasing.

They meet again when the emperor is pursuing a suspected traitor’s wife and child. MC and his buddies run into the escaping wife and provide her shelter, while ML leads imperial guards to pursue the woman. While the two groups have a standoff, both parties are attacked by wild boars lol. MC and ML end up falling off a cliff together when they try to help each other against the boars. They navigate the wilderness together and grow closer, to the point where they’re very much friends by the time they emerge.

They have a great time hanging out with each other, and Fu Shen definitely feels the stirrings of a crush.
    Unfortunately ML somewhat betrays his trust—MC was taking care of that wife and child in a secret location. ML followed him to find that location and then took the wife into custody. MC is very angry and heartbroken when he inadvertently discovers this, to the point where he smashes the jade pendant he was going to give ML as a gift. He breaks off their friendship, and soon afterwards leaves to go to war.

Ever since then the two have kind of been frenemies. MC understands that ML has different priorities than him. MC’s anger/frustration is more because he was disappointed in ML, he thinks ML can be better than an imperial lackey. While ML thinks of himself as lowly/base/selfish, in a completely different world from the righteous and high MC, so he doesn’t even try.
    At the start of the story, they argue philosophy/politics in public court, but don’t actually hate each other.

(Later it’s revealed that ML helped the wife and child escape from custody and obtain new identities, and all along he’s treasured that broken jade pendant </3)

9. Destiny11397

Destiny11397 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Really looking forward to reading it. It's pretty much my type of story. Thanks for the spoilers! ^^

10. puu264

puu264 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My marshmallow heart can'thandle this much sweetness

I wonder if anyone knew whether the translator would continue this work or currently busy with real life?

11. Attica

Attica Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I will definitely continue translating (chapter 5 is in the works right now), I’ve just been busy with life as well as translating other works.

12. puu264

puu264 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you for your reply XDD

13. alexfilia

alexfilia Bromance & Fluff <3

Reading List:
    Link
    Do we find out who was that sent the assasins? ....does the step mom and step bro play a role ? (Besides spreading rumours)

14. Chichi

Chichi Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If anyone's still hanging around this thread, I picked this project up. Penhappy is too busy a bee.
    Here's a link.

...I'm not allowed to spoil anything since I'm the translator, I just wanted to let y'all know. Seeya.

15. Dragon_Reader

Dragon_Reader Humans just don't taste as good as books \( ̄ハ ̄)

Reading List:
    Link
    Yay!

16. HC

HC I eat, read, die

Reading List:
    Link
    Do the Northern Yan Army generals know that Fu Shen and Yan Xiaohan like each other or atleast not as the rumors say? Cause initially, i thought they were mocking/hating the wedding sanction but then didnt they witness the golden stage ceremony and also didnt general Yu Qioating converse politely with YXH and even saw YXH lightly hug FS? So were the army generals aware of FS former crush with YXH and are really teasing him when they were congratulating him about the wedding?

17. CawCawBird

CawCawBird Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So... since the main couple actually switching is pretty rare in BL novels I gotta ask: Was the whole switcheroo in chapter 50 a one-time thing or will this be a regular occurrence in this novel? :blobpopcorn_cool:

18. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is the last villain boss that Su prince?

The empress died, right?
    Which son/prince is it?The one marries to MC sister?

19. lazykitty_99

lazykitty_99 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The one mc sister married . He turned to a scum after becoming emperor. According to ml he was far weaker then previous emperor.
    Prince Qi became emperor. He is the later killed by ml as he attacked fatally mc in scheme with the father of concubine ml killed ( he was favouring her to control the officials of that area , he even put mc sister under house arrest just bcz of concubine simple scheme) as mc wasn't in capital , fu family in shambles so empress doesn't have any support later when ml killed that x concubine , everyone knew ml is supporting empress even if mc isn't there..
    Ml wanted to kill emperor slowly but when mc was fatally injured he brought his plans forward.

alexfilia and couchpotato1929 like this.
  20. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, so the old schemy emperor died, and that Prince Qi replaced him, and turned into another backstabber.
    And here I thought, MC sister lucked out in marriage, to be able to marry her love and all.
    Just got to chapter 40, and I have yet to read the Fu families again. That 3rd uncle is so weird.